Author Topic: FS2 SCP and Android... (NOT GOING TO HAPPEN)  (Read 27753 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: FS2 SCP and Android... (NOT GOING TO HAPPEN)
But can desktop OpenGL be used on Android? i cant get a answer anywhere.

This took me literally two seconds to find.

What part of "Android supports OpenGL ES 1.0 on Android <= 2.2 and OpenGL ES 2 on higher versions" is unclear?

Also Windows RT is now here, it runs on DX9.3C compatible devices, i wonder if old DX code may be used for support, as far i how, a DX9 device should be able to run DX7 and 8 games.

Good luck with that.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline ShivanSpS

Actually the NDK is playing by the rules, you will never see OpenGL on there unless is supported by all SoC running a specific version of Android, something that may never happen. Unless adoption of OpenGL 4.3 with full compatbility with ES 3 is selected for support by mobile gpus, thats the only chance in the future.

But ive been asking to XBMC devs, and they say is possible to use desktop OpenGL on android as long the gpu and driver supports it, the NDK is missing the headers but thats all.

Offline ShivanSpS

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So?

Have you actually given any thought at all to such issues as gameplay yet? Or how to get coders to work on this?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I imagine that those problems could be sorted out.  We already had one coder working on this to some extent, going through the code and removing some of the more archaic OpenGL calls that just don't exist on the more trimmed down varieties of the library.  As far as input goes, all it would take is an SDL touchscreen driver and a clever modder to make use of the engine on some of these platforms.  Or, for the more desktop-like embedded platforms, that have input device support, I would think gameplay wouldn't have to be very different at all.  All you need is to have it running Linux and hook up a USB hub and you have all your input device support you need.  I assume that's the gameplay aspect you were referring to, the limited input support available on most embedded platforms.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline ShivanSpS

This is likely to sort out the input on Windows based tablets

http://blog.overwolf.com/

Im thinking of Freespace 2 + Windows 8.1 based Bay Trail tablet.