Author Topic: XQ2 Rework  (Read 20168 times)

An update, turbolaser and laser cannon:

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

I guess I'll just keep bumping my post. There's a weird issue with the glow map. The windows are outlined in black, which I don't think I've ever come across before. There shouldn't be any anti-aliasing, since it's just a white square hovering over a black background.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
I don't know what's up with the glowmap off the top of my head, but maybe it's an issue with the texture format; which one are you using?

Anyway, assuming that this isn't just an early WIP: overall I think the window placement is way too dense, especially on the midsection. Even if they are realistically sized, there's just so many of them packed together that I think that especially the midsection the windows begin to look more like some sort of lit circuitry.

Other than that, it's looking awesome. Particularly those lit hangars. :yes:

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
I don't think they're too dense, based on the scale I believe this thing is.  I mean...those were dreadnaughts parked at it in earlier shots, right?  If so, the current window size does a really good job of indicating a proper sense of size for this thing.  It's pretty massive.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
I think the problem with the windows is that they are packed in there in such a way that they look like the wall of an international-style skyscraper, with entire areas of the outer surface being comprised of grids of transparent material.  The windows you see in SW generally have a non-transparent structural element to make the area look more robust, like the struts between the triangular bridge windows on Star Destroyer bridges or the finer curved segments seen in the big window behind the Emperor's throne in RotJ or the Falcon's cockpit canopy.  It does give it an impressive sense of scale though :)

Well, I'll see what I can do to make the lights feel less like a field, and more like individual windows. Maybe shrink them individually, so there's more space between each one, or making them bigger.

I've scattered a few miscellaneous ports and docks and things across the surface.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
If you're looking for a good ref in terms of the star wars lighting style, I'd suggest this picture: 

While, of course that's an ISD and it shouldn't match exactly, the station is roughly on scale with the star destroyer (okay, slightly smaller, but still similarly sized)

In that picture you can see how it's a very random style, but very sparse as well.  I think a similar style would work well with this model.

Also a note, the red lights didn't seem to make it to the final print, so I'd suggest the light all be just that yellowish white.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Random sounds right, not sure about sparse for this application.

XQ2 is a more or less civilian platform, right? It'd probably have more/bigger windows than a warship. Not sure what would be a better guide. Maybe a Lucrehulk? Still, that's more simliar to the ISD than either is to the WCSaga-style windows you've put on the platform. I think the trick is to (1) not have more than a dozen or so windows in a row, lit or not (with maybe some rare exceptions like on maybe three places on the Lucrehulk) and (2) vary the size and shape of windows so they don't look like a high-rise apartment building. I mean, unless that part of the space station actually is supposed to be civilian offices and apartments.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

I guess I'll just keep deleting windows until it looks right.

I think the texture is more or less done. I might go in and add some more paint, maybe some text and a logo.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Looks awesome!  Are the numbers backwards though?

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
Looks awesome!  Are the numbers backwards though?
Two quick questions; one, should the writing on the completely shaded pad be glowing like that, and two, where can I go to put you up for an awesomeness award?
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That has an appearance that is both alive and cold at the same time, I love it.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline rhettro

Nice. Very nice.

In the interest of composition, I flipped the image. The lettering is not backwards on the model. I'm thinking of leaving the lettering on the glow map, maybe darkening it a bit.

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
  • maveric modeler, the sky is just the begining
that would be logical, also great job on it bobb, it will be awesome to see ingame, hmm I just thought of an idea I want to talk to you about

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Awesome work. :yes: Anything interesting to see inside the main hangar?

It's empty right now.

The interior of the XQ2 Space station is now in progress:

The main hangar bay:

The bottom hangar, for fighters and military ships:

The top hangar, for small shuttles:

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
So cool!  Don't forget the white glowing rings around areas open to space :D

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
"Um, sir, who left all of the pink styrofoam YT-1300 cutouts in the hangar bay?"