Author Topic: XQ2 Rework  (Read 20167 times)

Here's an update on the XQ2. I've reduced the size of the paddles coming off the hangars. I also added some tubes on the underside of said paddles, to give larger ships something to dock to.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Love it!  Can't wait to see more.  I'm liking the capital ship docking arms.  The sloping deck is the only thing I'm not sure about, kinda seems like a tongue sticking out.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

... like a tongue sticking out.

;) That was my reference. I find it helps to direct the visual flow, keep it from just shooting off. If it still looks like a tongue after I texture it, I'll get rid of it.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Looking absolutely fantastic!  My only bit of feedback is that if you intend to scale it up to that size, the windows on the upper structure should be made smaller, right now they're several hundred meters wide.  I'd suggest removing them perhaps and replacing them with a number of modules similar to the ISD's bridge with a lot of smaller windows.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Awesome!  I don't recognize the ships that are docked face-first...

Awesome!  I don't recognize the ships that are docked face-first...

It's a Xiytiar I made around the same time I was making the Dreadnaught.

I've started making the main body of the station. It's a bit bigger than the original, feels like it's sandwiching the arms. Here's a small update:

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
    • German Wing Commander Site
WOW :) Can't wait for this!
Star Citizen No. 250

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Looking absolutely fantastic!  My only bit of feedback is that if you intend to scale it up to that size, the windows on the upper structure should be made smaller, right now they're several hundred meters wide.  I'd suggest removing them perhaps and replacing them with a number of modules similar to the ISD's bridge with a lot of smaller windows.

Actually I always figured those depressions would merely be dotted with small windows and maybe some greebling, not be hundreds of meters wide windows themselves.

As for the latest version where they're gone... well, it's up to you two to decide, but I find the new general shape of the top dome to be less aesthetically pleasing than the old one, due to the hamburger style. Of course, I only got one screenshot and one angle to look at, and I suppose it does somewhat counterbalance the squashed horizontal profile the old one has.

Also, I'm hoping you could do something to make those big triangular vertical paddles under the main platforms a bit more exciting. Adding the capship docking tubes to them and making them smaller is a good start, but I think they still need something more. Maybe small hangars capable of holding a single fighter, some other kind of large-ish extra features to make them look like they actually have a purpose, some greebling or antennas at the lowest tips and/or some beams between them to connect them, just to give some ideas.

In any case, it's absolutely great that you're tackling this. :yes: One of the bigger lacks right now is how the only station we got is such a crude WIP.

The underside:

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Looks great, and I like the Xiytiar too :)

Another update. I've tapered the top and bottom pods, and given them a little bulge in the middle. There's also a bay on the in between the lower pod and the midsection.

Well done. I'm looking forward to the final version of this model. :)
"I want this installation fully operational within the hour"
-Thrawn
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 10:36:18 am by FekLeyrTarg »
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I liked the old hub design.

* Cobra ducks
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

I liked the old hub design.

* Cobra ducks

Any reason in particular?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I'm a sucker for original designs and it's too late for me to give a coherent explanation for my issue with the current hub. I just think the old one fit better.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

So I UV mapped it, and I've given a grey texture. On another topic, my computer has randomly created a new user on my computer. I don't know what it is about, and my documents were changed to read only. The user koti was made when I rendered the AO to texture. Very strange.

That's a good start with the textures.
Btw I recommend to scan your system for trojans, viruses and stuff.
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
The user koti was made when I rendered the AO to texture. Very strange.
Ah. That's very likely due to some leftover cruft in the working file from when I worked on it ("koti" == "home" was my user account back then). Dunno how it could possibly cause anything to happen to your files, though. :eek2:

Ah. That's a relief. It was the location that the render to texture dialogue picked as the save destination.