Author Topic: Steam Hacked  (Read 5133 times)

I'm surprised it's not been posted already; but I figured I should probably post it here before I went to bed.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/10/steam-database-hacked-encrypted-credit-card-information-and-passwords-compromised/

Change dem passwerds peeps
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Password changed.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

It was bound to happen eventually, I suppose... :/

Keep an eye on dem credit and debit cards, too. No telling how long that encryption will hold out.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Changed my password. Good thing I am not using a credit card for my steam purchases, but still....

Oh, for the lulz: read this slashdot comment
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Steam is currently unable to process my change password request.

Crap.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
So, they write something about an issue last sunday ? It's friday now, and I cannot change my passwort either. They better ****ing make a complete reset of all registered passwords, before someone makes **** with my account :hopping:
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I changed mine ok :confused:
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So, they write something about an issue last sunday ? It's friday now, and I cannot change my passwort either. They better ****ing make a complete reset of all registered passwords, before someone makes **** with my account :hopping:

1. That's actually quite a fast response.
2. A complete reset of all passwords is only warranted if all passwords had been stolen; apparently that is not the case.
3. If you have Steam Guard active (and why wouldn't you?), your account is pretty much safe from external intrusions, given that you'd get an email if somebody tried to use it on a PC you haven't authorized for use with your account yet.
4. I do not know why Steam is giving you guys trouble regarding password changes, I changed mine without issue. Maybe, instead of complaining here, you should ask Steam Support what's up with that?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline crizza

Hm, I cannot connect to steam...is that good...or bad?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Probably bad.

Changed it now.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Well, my steam guard is active, and I still can connect. However, I'm not able to change my PW atm, it says "steam cannot process that at the moment".  I keep trying
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Logged in successfully, received the following:

Quote from: Steam
November 10th, 2011
Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users:

Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums.

We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.

We don’t have evidence of credit card misuse at this time. Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely.

While we only know of a few forum accounts that have been compromised, all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. If you have used your Steam forum password on other accounts you should change those passwords as well.

We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password.

We will reopen the forums as soon as we can.

I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Gabe.

However, I was not required to change my password.  :wtf:  Wondering if I really have to at this point.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Quote from: Steam
November 10th, 2011

While we only know of a few forum accounts that have been compromised, all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. If you have used your Steam forum password on other accounts you should change those passwords as well.

is is only forum users thar are being asked to change their passwords
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Ah, and if you use the same p/w for the forum and your Stiiiim login, then you should also change that.  I've never logged into the forums.  :lol:  Liiiiiight-buuulb!  /Gru

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Well, my steam guard is active, and I still can connect. However, I'm not able to change my PW atm, it says "steam cannot process that at the moment".  I keep trying
It's probably getting flooded with every active player on the service trying to get theirs changed. I was able to do it last night, so just keep trying.

Offline Mikes

Guess I shouldn't have displayed quite so much Schadenfreude over Sony... Steam owtch, that hurts, close to home.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Finally I got through, changed my steam and forum password
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline crizza

Hm...I'm not active on the steam forum...so I can lean back I guess?

If you read the stuff posted, you will see that they got access to the steam database, meaning everything, not just the forum. They don't have any evidence (yet) that they took passwords/cc details etc, but TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE, you should consider changing things :P
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline newman

This is why I never save my credit card info in any of my online accounts, even things like paypal. I only ever order something online like once or twice a month, and while it certainly does take a bit longer to pay when you have to manually enter the credit card info every time, the added security is worth it. Even if someone hacks my account, with no credit card info associated with it they can't do anything financially damaging with it, really. So, anyone who does keep their credit card info saved in their Steam account, ask yourself this: how often do you actually buy games over Steam, and is the added inconvenience of a 2 minutes longer ordering process every time worth the risks?
Also, changed my steam password without any issues.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 05:52:58 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb