Author Topic: Steam Hacked  (Read 5091 times)

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Nope, I don't keep my information saved. That is a really good habit to get into.

Offline Mikes

Nope, I don't keep my information saved. That is a really good habit to get into.

... until you catch a keylogger ;)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I have so little money in my checking account most of the time that someone stealing my info couldn't get very far anyway. :p

I don't use credit cards. Yeah ING and the iDeal program you invented! Internet banking! Innovation! Woo.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I sincerely hope that this triggers Steam/Valve to start selling Steam Gift Cards.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
You could buy something like a Visa gift card that would essentially work the same way.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I have so little money in my checking account most of the time that someone stealing my info couldn't get very far anyway. :p
Oh yeah, that too for me. :P

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
My password changed fine a few days ago.  While I don't allow Steam to save my credit card info, it really isn't the end of the world to have a card compromised - virtually all of them have fraud protection, and so long as you keep an eye on your statements (DUH) there's no real risk other than the nuisance of having to reset any authorized scheduled transactions.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline LHN91

I had the strip on my debit card stolen once, over a holiday. I couldn't use my card and called in to ask why. Found out it was compromised, answered a couple questions, and by the time my branch got around to calling me to let me know something was wrong the money was back in my account and I had made an appointment to get a new card.

Short version. My bank is awesome, and modern fraud protection and detection mechanisms seem to work quite well.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Which one is it? I rarely hear stories of banks reacting so swiftly.

Offline LHN91

TD Canada Trust. Damn they've been wonderful to me. And they have something like 2-3 branches to every other bank's 1. There's always one nearby. And their hours are great.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I've actually had a credit-monitoring service call me a couple of times when I've used my Visa debit card to purchase things like Minecraft or games from GOG.com, since they're international purchases.  Kind of nice that someone's keeping an eye on that stuff.

Yea seriously, in the age of internet banking and stuff, why wouldn't you have an account in reserve only accessible by other accounts on your express authorisation? it's not like it'd take a trip to the bank any more to transfer money and that way you can never be the victim of cc fraud.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I had the strip on my debit card stolen once, over a holiday. I couldn't use my card and called in to ask why. Found out it was compromised, answered a couple questions, and by the time my branch got around to calling me to let me know something was wrong the money was back in my account and I had made an appointment to get a new card.

Short version. My bank is awesome, and modern fraud protection and detection mechanisms seem to work quite well.

That is awesome... most CC companies do fraud protection, but from what I've heard, most debit cards (even if they have the CC logo) don't... you can report it, but the banks are slow to give you your money back.  If you are in overdraft when you discover the theft, the time until you have a useable amount of cash in your account could be weeks.  :ick:  ex-TD Bank customer here.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

That is awesome... most CC companies do fraud protection, but from what I've heard, most debit cards (even if they have the CC logo) don't... you can report it, but the banks are slow to give you your money back.  If you are in overdraft when you discover the theft, the time until you have a useable amount of cash in your account could be weeks.  :ick:  ex-TD Bank customer here.

Well the thing with the Credit Card is its the Company's money, so they are proactive in getting it back, with a Debit Card its your money...
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline LHN91

It did help that I had things limited to just 100 dollars from a bank machine per day, and they took it from a Royal Bank machine in Montreal when I live in Southern Ontario, and have never in my life used my debit card in Quebec XD. They only got 100 dollars anyways.

Also, not sure off the top of my head if TD Bank (USA) and TD Canada Trust are going to behave exactly the same. 

EDIT: And I didn't actually even report it. The theft protection department had locked down my account before I even noticed I was missing money.

Offline Mikes

I've actually had a credit-monitoring service call me a couple of times when I've used my Visa debit card to purchase things like Minecraft or games from GOG.com, since they're international purchases.  Kind of nice that someone's keeping an eye on that stuff.

And now that you've told them a few times, they know to let all those wierd international transactions on your card through ?;) (doh? hehe)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 12:56:38 pm by Mikes »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I actually work for the people who issued my card (though not the people with the card company logo), so I have no problems. Ever.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story