Author Topic: Release of Star Wars the Original Trilogy Mod  (Read 28417 times)

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Release of Star Wars the Original Trilogy Mod
Here is the new forum page which is much more updated: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=85153.0

FYI: The information below is very outdated, as the new version of the mod will be coming out July 20th! It features warfull's amazing models, custom AI, SW sounds, music, and lots of other custom table editing.

[Old Stuff]
Screenshots available! Check the attachments

Update! I think I fixed the bugs that were making it not work, so here is the new version. Both links are the same file, just different servers.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6ppmilubdcleqpe

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21416222/Star+Wars+Mod.zip

This version only has the first battle part, as I wanted to make sure it worked for everybody else before I made the other half.
Also is compatible to 3.12. Inferno build too.

Things I would like to try and do and would appreciate help (some people already are, thanks!)  getting and converting sound-bytes from the movie, adding turrets and such to the capital ships (and possibly using the better looking models I couldn't convert) and more scripts in the missions. Just let me know if this is something that you would want to be a part of, I would greatly appreciate it! 

Screenshots! Check the Attachments

Older stuff:
Announcing the release of the a new Star Wars Freespace 2 mod!
No, this is not affiliated with Fate of The Galaxy in any way (see below) this is something I put together by myself and is not even on the same level as how amazing FotG looks, but I figured it was a big enough galaxy for a few Star Wars mods.  Alright so I subdivided this post into sections for quicker reading. Also I made this mod/missions mainly for myself, but I figured other people might get a kick out of it, or want to change something (which I totally encourage/would really like to happen).

What this mod is: This mod adds the following craft: X-wing, A-wing, B-wing, Y-wing, Millennium Falcon, TIE Fighter, and TIE Interceptor. These craft are fully complete, and all have everything to work in game. Also I have included models of the Super Star Destroyer (the Executor), the Mon Calamari Cruisers, Rebel Blockade Runner, Rebel Transport ship, and an Imperial Star Destroyer (the Star Destroyer is Darth Doull’s). These capital ships minus the Star Destroyer do not have turrets added (see the why below). Also there are two custom missions using these craft: The Battle of Endor Part 1 and Part 2. (These maps I also made for myself, but figured I would throw them in here).

My goal was to make this mod as movie accurate to the Original Trilogy as possible, so that means: all craft move at least 200 m/s, lasers are very fast but short range and very deadly. For example, in the Trench Run in a New Hope Vader had to come pretty close to the X-wings to shoot them, so I made the lifespan of lasers a bit shorter than the traditional game ( this was also to make sure you don’t die from some random, stray shot). Also, be sure to not crash into anything. So, like in the movies, the goal is to avoid damage, because it only takes a few well placed shots to severely damage most craft. I made the weapons file simple to edit by making starfighter/turbo lasers do 1 unit of damage so it is easy to view how damage/hull/shield strength is distributed. Also, this doesn’t feel like Freespace 2 flying as much, so keep that in mind. Also missiles are very limited, and are mainly for close range, or against capital ships the AI only uses them for capital ships (like in the movies).   

Why: So when I first bought Freespace 2 I knew it could be really fun to have the ability to us this awesome game as a platform to fly as an X-wing. So I saw that Fate of the Galaxy was going to be awesome, but was a bit off in the future to a release. I had quite a few direct x models from some awesome freeware Star Wars games (Google “The Battle of Endor Game” it is some pretty awesome freeware). Anyway I had two weeks off of college between semesters and travelling so I decided to keep myself busy with this. So after a lot of long internet searches and tutorials I converted all the models to .pofs, made them playable in game and all that jazz. Unfortunately, though, I was not able to convert everything the way I wanted, that is why the Super Start Destroyer, Mon Calamari Cruisers do not have the best textures. Anyway I learned about all the ship editing and did that too, tested it a lot and now I have this.

The Missions/Levels: So I made two missions with these changes for myself, but I figured somebody else might be at least slightly entertained by them as well so they are in here to. They depict The Battle of Endor (I know these kinds of missions are usually not made though). Part one is mostly dog-fighting and Part Two is when the Fleets engaged each other. All of the Rebel and Imperial Craft from the movies are here except the Nebulon B Frigate. I tried to convert the model but the meshes never went through properly. So I didn’t add scripts because I ran out of time and this was mainly for myself but I just play till the five minute mark in the first part and until the Executor is destroyed in the second. Mainly your goal is to stay alive. I tried to capture the chaotic feel to the battle. These are not scripted since I am not fluent in FRED, I just don’t have the time at the moment.

The Future: So there are some things I would like to better about this mod, but I ran out of my two weeks of not doing anything, and I am again busy with other things, meaning I will try to still work on this but I won’t have time to learn all the special tricks in order to better it. Anyway, other things I want to hopefully eventually improve on: adding maybe some more craft like TIE Bombers (like I said I have some better models of the large ships, but they always crashed Blender) Combining the Battle of Endor mission to have it be on long one, where you can see the fleets move to engage each other, giving the Rebel Ships and Executor actual turrets, adding a planet Endor/Death Star Background to the battle (after reading half a dozen tutorials I still couldn’t make a working background), adding audio lines from the movie like "It's a Trap!",  and more music (which I have also but wasn’t able to properly convert to .ogg format), and hopefully more missions.

Special Thanks to Darth Maul and Darth Doull for the Star Destroyer and music, and MasterSyrus for the models/textures of all the other ships.

If you want to eidt/change/add/ect: Like I said change anything you want, just give the above mentioned people credit. Also if you would be so kind as to send me what you did so I can play it too, that would be awesome. Or if you wanted to be super awesome you could help be incorporate the improvements I listed above, I would be honored and super happy to work/collaborate with you . Ideally I wanted to create a base mod for anyone who wants to improve/work together to make this mod and the Battle of Endor (or create other missions) even better as we wait for Fate of the Galaxy. Let me know if you are interested!

Oh and sorry for long post.
If you have the time and desire then let me know what you think! Thanks!
-Wookieejedi (aka. elfwithsword on Filefront in case there is any confusion with the links/username)

[attachment deleted by a ninja]
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 05:20:11 pm by wookieejedi »

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
Re: Release of Star Wars the Original Trilogy Mod
this mod has got promise :yes:
i didn't know wing formations could be modified until i played this.

some things need to be fixed. for one:
Code: [Select]
There are 1 primary banks in the model file,
but only 0 primary banks specified for Rebel Blockade Runner.
This must be fixed, as it will cause crashes.

ntdll.dll! KiFastSystemCallRet
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_14_RC1.exe! <no symbol>
I had to go through at least three of these warnings, for different models, while loading a level.

second, I found that the ship "turrets" are as targetable as any ship as if they are independent objects. Turrets belong on ships so that they don't clutter the radar. Those huge concentrations give an imaginary sense of numerical superiority despite these levels reaching hardly anywhere near the current game engine limit.

I don't know if this is preference but the x-wing i was flying must have only taken 5 hits from lasers and then burned up. It seems lasers are deadly even against shielded targets. FYI, I've played BoE before on rogue squadron and that was hard but at least flying an x-wing heavier craft guaranteed surviving an uncountable number of hits.

Just out of curiosity, where are your helpers from? they're clearly not on HLP.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 12:09:10 am by yuezhi »
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

I will go through it as soon as possible. Any notes on what SCP build to use?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I don't know if this is preference but the x-wing i was flying must have only taken 5 hits from lasers and then burned up. It seems lasers are deadly even against shielded targets. FYI, I've played BoE before on rogue squadron and that was hard but at least flying an x-wing heavier craft guaranteed surviving an uncountable number of hits.
Note, this is how it's supposed to be, according to OP. It's meant to play like OT battles, so an X-W takes only a few hits, like in ANH or RoTJ.
Also, why is SSD only 4km long?

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?

Wait, what?

Any chance to have pit one day?

Dling now anyway  ;7
$Formula: ( every-time
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination
+Repeat Count: 99999999999
+Interval: 1

Offline wookieejedi

Cool glad some people tried it! Now to the questions:

The code/text errors I haven't seen before, hmmm. [Edit, it should be fixed with new link I put up].

The people I work with are all retired from modding. Years ago I was a beta tester for a freeware star wars game ( we did a community upgrade) and we used these models. So within the past month when I got Freespace 2 and decided I wanted to mod it I got permission to use them, and by myself put together this Freespace 2 mod. So at this point it is only me. This is why I am looking for others help, to make this even better :)

Yes I just kind of discovered that I could call different wings different thins as long as there was the filled beta, gamma, delta set.

The Super Star Destroyer is only that long because it crashed when exporting in Blender when it got longer for some reason. I tried different things but it always crashed, so that would be something I would love to collaborate to fix with someone else.

When making this mod I watched only the movies, so that is why things blow up so quickly. In order to survive whenever you get a hit quickly equalize your shields, it will save you. If you look at the tbl file all lasers do one damage and the x-wing as a shield strength of 14 and hull of 4, so ideally it should be able to take at least 7 double shots from a tie (feel free to change that if you want, that is why I made the damage ratios so simple). It is much different from Freespace 2 this way. Also get the Falcon to follow you/cover as it is very tough and very fast, or use the cruisers as cover.

About the ship turrets: Like I said I had only a coupe weeks to do this, and I tried adding turret points in blender bu it didn't work so I kind of cheated in order to make myself a map. This is another point that I would love to fix with someone's help, ideally I want this battle to push the limit on the Freespace 2 engine and feel just like the movie.

Thanks for all the comments! Keep them coming! And again I would really appreciate any collaboration anyone wants to do!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 10:57:25 am by wookieejedi »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
this mod has got promise :yes:

some things need to be fixed. for one:
There are 1 primary banks in the model file,
but only 0 primary banks specified for Rebel Blockade Runner.
This must be fixed, as it will cause crashes.

ntdll.dll! KiFastSystemCallRet
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
I had to go through at least three of these warnings, for different models, while loading a level.

Debug log?  run debug build, play mission, exit, go to FS2 dir \ data \ fs2_open.log

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
almost there. please fix the A-wing and that'll be the end of these error messages.
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
Wait, what? A (nonFotG, but still...) Star Wars mod?!?! A happy wookiee lifeday to you, sir.
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Could the Executor be scaled up using PCS2?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline wookieejedi

Here ya go (this should fix all that), sorry about that. The other links are updated too.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21118933/Fix_Full.zip

And happy lifeday to you too :)

If anybody wants to scale the Executor just let me know and I can send the obj file to modify in blender, or better yet I can send the better textured direct x one that I couldn't convert.

Offline mralexs

• I'm White and Nerdy
all i'm getting is the main FS2 campaign.. but i have SW ships in the tech room along with FS2 ships... no SW campaign at all :confused:

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
all i'm getting is the main FS2 campaign.. but i have SW ships in the tech room along with FS2 ships... no SW campaign at all :confused:

You should probably hit the "single missions" button under the tech room
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

You should probably hit the "single missions" button under the tech room

So, in the campaign room, there is no SW campaign?  Because that's what you're supposed to do (if there is a campaign included with the mod).  If there is no campaign included, then do what Sattellight said.

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
I'm posting my thoughts piecemeal but in a single post.

Thought One: Everything is beautiful in the tech room. Really beautiful.
Thought One-A: Okay, right, it's not loading the mission... hmmm...
Thought Two: Grr... the mod.ini doesn't point to the .12 mvps... 'Kay, fix'd.
Thought Three: Oh, heck. So much for that.
mv_music-mus.tbm(line 157:
Error: Missing required token: [#Menu Music End]. Found [$Filename: Aquitaine.ogg]  instead.
Further investigation: This is apparantly an intersection with the .12 MV_Music.vp - if I pull that file out of the mvps, this goes away.

Thought Four: Do I need to go and find the .10 MVPs for the mission to load properly? 'Cause, y'know, download speeds and stuff.
Thought Five: Huh, the debug version works better... it throws up a half dozen of these sorts of messages and then goes ahead and works.

Ship class TIE/Ln Fighter has an afterburner but has no afterburner fuel. Setting fuel to 1

Thought Six: Hunh. Not that much better, I guess.
Thought Six-A: mc001.pof, blockaderunner001.pof, and rebeltransport001.pof all have null moment of inertia, which .14.rc2.debug doesn't like. Rolling back to a different (stable) exe...
Thought Seven: Better behaved under .12, but... hmmmm...
Thought Eight: Nope, .12 still has the MOI problems. Also, the comms systems on the falcon and the tie l/n are named 'communication' instead of 'communications' which the engine dislikes. And the eyeball and squint both have no afterburner fuel capacity set in the tbls, defaults to 1.
Thought Nine: And it doesn't like the second of the two missions either.
Thought Ten: Maybe with that new nightly 8095... no. 'kay.

Summing up: On current builds, it wouldn't even get to pilot select for me until I moved files around - MV_Music.vp seems to interfere with the mod's oggs...? On the .12stable build, and on the current builds after I moved MV_Music off to a random location, I can get in and look at everything in the mission settings (The b-wing cockpit looks a little bit polygonal on my current hi-spec lighting settings. The x-wing is beauty. The Falcon is too big to fit in the window.) but when I go to launch the mission (Part 1 or part 2) it either ctds or, in debug mode, spits out rolling complaints about every single ship ever not having 'moment of inertia' set in their tables for as long as I can be bothered to click through the messages (After the dozenth-or-so TIE, I started to worry about my mouse wearing out...) Also, the TIE's afterburner capacity appears not to be reading properly, and the A-wing's missile magazine isn't loading right either.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 04:15:37 pm by LordMelvin »

Offline wookieejedi

Hmmm, I think those are just problems withe individual missions not the mod (since it replaces the necessary files then works like you said), I checked all the table files and they seem ok.

And there is no campaign, to address the above questions. I would love to someday have one, but I think I would need some community support and help :)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
* headdie facepalms at null moment of inertia

this is a pet hate of mine and really shouldn't be happening.  The game is right to **** at this as it's a problem with the model file and dare I say an unacceptable one as it is down to modellers/converters not hitting the little "calculate moment of inertia" button at the bottom of the right hand side of the screen in PCS2 when header is selected.

It also hints at a lack of use of the debug builds supplied with every stable and nightly release of the windows FSO build for one of it's principle functions in the community which is detecting errors in mods.  Ok that assumes you are using MS Windows and I apologise if the relevant people are not as I understand that due to a lack of support for other operating systems some parts can'r be complied regularly.

Why is it important? it helps the game work out how movement effects the positioning of the ship, particularly vs high mass weapons, explosions and when warping!!!

The fix here is simple, back up the offending file and open the it in PCS2, hit the afore mentioned  "Calculate Moment of Inertia" button click ok when PCS2 complains about not doing it well but it does the job well enough for out purposes and then save overwriting the old one.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
Thanks, Headdie.

I'm attaching a modified BoESW/Data/tables/starwars-shp.tbm with the communication/communications problem fix'd.

I'm also taking a look to see if I can make PCS2 work for me without too much work, from what was in the OP's DL.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 08:38:49 pm by LordMelvin »

Offline wookieejedi

Thanks for pointing that out, I will fix that when I get the chance.

And thanks for the fix too, if you want/have any questions on the models and actual files let me know.

OK I fixed the inertia problem but it looks like I will have to remake the level, as it crashes now, so I will not release the inertia models until I remake the levels to release with it.

Thanks to for the tmb file in there too LordMelvin! I appreciate it. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 11:42:39 am by wookieejedi »