Author Topic: UVed Moscow model (First set of Texs done)  (Read 16610 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
UVed Moscow model (First set of Texs done)
After the Cumulative modelling article got put onto the wiki, Darius contacted me to see if I still had a copy of this model UVed. I didn't - I'd lost it during one of many HDD transfers (I suspect it was on a portable drive that I dropped and fried). So I got in touch with Water, who'd UVed it way back when, and thankfully he did still have a copy. Here it is:

Zippyshare Download

Please download and keep a copy of this somewhere, so we wont fall into the trap we did last time, where nobody knew who still had a copy. :p

Anyway, I've begun texturing it again (my last textures were lost along with the model, but they weren't super far along), and Darius has also expressed an interest in doing so, but there's no timeline on either of those efforts (I have a lot to do at the moment for TI, and I'm not sure what Darius has in mind), so if anyone else wants to get into it and try themselves, that'd be great. However, I would ask that anyone who does texture it consider the source of the model, and resist the urge to keep it exclusive for one mod or another. It was always a community project, let's keep it that way.

Oh, and yes, I could have bumped the old topic, but there's no reason to necro it IMO. So let's not, please. :)

EDIT:See below for Darius' texs
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 08:13:48 am by Black Wolf »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Re: Untextured, UVed Moscow model
Great to hear you're working on it, when I first found that model in the wiki I was pretty impressed, i'm glad it's being worked on again. Curious to see results when finished. :)
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
For some reason I can't open the .obj version in Max.

EDIT: Also, what happened to the "tblisi" of the Moscow that Water proposed by the end of the project?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:53:18 pm by Raven2001 »
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Zippyshare Download

Please download and keep a copy of this somewhere, so we wont fall into the trap we did last time, where nobody knew who still had a copy. :p
Fear not! For I still had a copy of it backed up including the UV Map (which in turn lead me to create the Wiki article because the idea was so awesome).   ;7

Offline Darius

Right, let's make this a reality! I'll post what I come up with. It's too good a project for it to remain dead.

EDIT: Is this still a collaborative effort or is it ok if I just put my own spin on the textures?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 07:46:56 am by Darius »

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Can't we just do both? There are plenty of retextures and variations floating around of other models.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Can't we just do both? There are plenty of retextures and variations floating around of other models.

Not... really. Collaborative texturing crashed and burned - for whatever reason (and I can think of a few - too stylistically independent, too time consuming, not enough texturers, maybe others), texturing just doesn't lend itself to collaborative efforts the way modelling did. So I will putter along with my texture, Darius will putter along with his and at the end we might get one (or two) versions finally finished.

Going for a Grey/Green colour scheme for mine, for the record. Will throw up some pics when I'm a bit further in.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Darius

Pretty similar to the colour scheme I was thinking :P

EDIT: First retexture pretty much done. I'll post up the texture and psd template tomorrow after some final additions.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 12:53:34 pm by Darius »

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Pretty awesome for a one-day work.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Darius

Water did an amazing job with the UV map. It's tight, and a dream to texture with.

Offline Darius

Double post.

First set of textures can be found here. Just has diffuse, shine and glow maps. Also packaging a dae of the model. Normal will come later once I finish panelling.

I've also uploaded the psd to help those who want to texture the moscow themselves.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: UVed Moscow model (First set of Texs done)
OK, well, now we have some textures. I'm probably about halfway done on mine (I'll throw up some pics when there's a bit less black space on the map, probably tonight or tomorrow).

Also, sooner or later we're going to need to turret this thing - if anyone has some ready made turrets that they think would fit, post 'em up, but we're more likely to use them if they're already UVed (although texturing can be handled at this end if need be - Darius and I have somewhat similar colour schemes, but stylistically quite different texs, and one or the other of us will probably need to redo any turret texs anyway).

We're going to need both single an multipart - possibly even two types of multipart, since there're these nice platforms that look like they deserve some very prominent turrets - look on the dorsal surface, the two irregular octagons. Or, they might be cool spots to mount some sensors or something. So, if anyone has anything they'd like to contribute, I think we'd definitely like to see them.

Also, if anyone's feeling really community minded, the LODding process will need to be started eventually - any volunteers?

[EDIT]I'm a tad slower than Darius, but I am moving along - Imagebin
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 12:39:08 pm by Black Wolf »
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I just love Darius' version, dedicated plates scheme makes this ship very unique, otherwise parts of tile textures preserves classic Freespace feel in this ship. Can't wait for the final result :yes:.
BW's version is also very nice, looks like a darker, maybe stealth version of standard ship. Would be great as special ops version for SOC, but I can't say more until I see full textures.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
one page documents the progress of a unique and interesting project, the other is the user ships page which is a concise summery of the ship in it's downloadable form, my vote is they both stay as though they are related placing the project info would needlessly blote the user ships page and merging into the project page would vastly reduce the ships exposure to new community members, though they should link to each other at least now.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline SypheDMar

• Minecraft
Ah, dude! Wrong article! That's the GTBs Moscow! You know, the really really big one? I'll move it.

Just to clarify: The GTBs Moscow is not the GTCv Moscow. The GTBs Moscow is an off-shoot of the cumulative projects. It also uses tile maps. Moscow has a disambiguation page that refers to both the GTCv and the GTBs Moscow. The model in this thread is the GTCv Moscow. The GTCv Moscow is UV Mapped unliked the GTBs Moscow, which is the model that came out of the Cumulative Modeling Project, abandoned during the Cumulative Texturing Project, and revived when Water gave Black Wolf and Darius the link.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Ahh, okay. I thought the GTBs Moscow was also part of the project, not knowing that the battleship designation applied only to the stretchmap version. I had presumed that the model was re-designated a battleship shortly after it was abandoned.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline SypheDMar

• Minecraft
Nah, it's cool. Everyone makes mistakes. The project has always been the GTCv Moscow. That was Black Wolf's original intent because it was not too big as to be overused but not to small so that it would only require a few modelers (from what I remember, anyway).

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Would this be ready to be used in-game, with turrets and all?

Offline Darius

I'm assuming nothing's changed since Black Wolf's post ie. no turrets, no LODs.