Author Topic: megaupload shut down  (Read 22427 times)

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
we'll still have freespacemods, gamefront and moddb, right?

EDIT: do these hack attacks really work? there were a lot apparently after the lockdown on wikileaks but that site doesn't look like it's anywhere near its former glory.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 02:04:24 pm by yuezhi »
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
The problem with a site as big as mega upload is that hard to keep track of all the downloads. So if a copyright holder says "You ahve been hosting THe INcredibles, here are the links" and MegaUpload does a scan to get rid of the Incredibles, it is very likely that it will simply miss a few files, or that new files with a slightly differnet name will be re uploaded. Quite sure that it is either bollocks or a failure to understand how these sites work.

And if that's all that happened, then MegaUpload wouldn't be in the boatload of trouble it's in.

One of the key points in the indictment is that MegaUpload did NOT remove files when it got a takedown notice: it would remove the link, but continue to host the file. The way they worked, instead of storing duplicate copies of the same file they would just have different URL links that pointed to the same one. Like the DMCA or not, it's pretty clearly a violation to not take down the files.

Pretty good summary here: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/oouwm/can_someone_explain_why_the_megaupload_takedown/

I'm having a hard time mustering up any sympathy for MegaUpload.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
I have an easy time mustering up sympathy for those that uploaded their (legal) works on MegaUpload.

Offline Aardwolf

So it's a violation of the DMCA, probably. The DMCA sucks. Civil disobedience ftw.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
I have an easy time mustering up sympathy for those that uploaded their (legal) works on MegaUpload.
Yeah, I'm kind of left wondering how the DoJ can pull the plug on the site without giving notice to its customers.  In a certain sense, people aren't able to access their own property right now.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
sounds to me like files were taken down and then immediately re-uploaded by users. and potentially by users that previously downloaded the file. i mean were talking millions of uploads and downloads every day. add that to the lagtime of an infringement notice being sent out and responded to. it is totally reasonable to say that megaupload was doing what was necessary to prevent piracy. i never used their service, ive always fond it somewhat fishy. they are in it for the money just like their accusers and i really dont care one way or the other who wins.

sites like the pirate bay still seems to chug along nicely no matter how many law books get thrown at them. they are in it more for the openness of information and frankly i dont see how they are funding their organization, i certainly dont pay them anything to use their "service", while mega upload and sites like it want me to pay a subscription. i do want to see the mpaa and riaa both collapse in on themselves for failing to adapt to changing technology by crippling it so they can stick to their archaic buisness model. lets ignore the damages they do to the arts and society as a whole, let alone the damage they want to do to the internet. the fact that they want to reduce our tech level to what they would allow and to curb our our freedoms to share information just to further bloat their already bloated coffers is enough to make me want to see them burn.

best thing i can say is boycott their movies and music. there are plenty of independent films and music that are far superior to the drivel they churn out. we just need to show them that we no longer need them to enjoy media. on top of that film makers, actors, and recording artists, etc (the ones who actually make the content) need to do the same, and realize how much they are being exploited and having their creativity stomped out by these media corporations.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 05:19:45 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Aardwolf

Research me this: by what means was megaupload shut down?

Did they go to the DNS? The web host? Did they disable the physical servers it was hosted on?

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
sites like the pirate bay still seems to chug along nicely no matter how many law books get thrown at them. they are in it more for the openness of information and frankly i dont see how they are funding their organization, i certainly dont pay them anything to use their "service"

Advertisements
They have a **** ton
"No"

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i never noticed (adblock 4tw). :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
They also sell t-shirts. You can see the links for those even with the adblock.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
disable the physical servers it was hosted on
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
Conspiracy charges... I feel that's pretty ironic. The way they frame the wording it's like 'terrorists on computers' or something.

Anyway, this to me shows the USA lost the moral high ground (this has quite an effect around the world as the USA seems to be an example to many other countries) and that the internet as we know it may soon  (ie: several years) be replaced by a intranet type system (Corporate Internet2, pay per view/minute apparently). Typical that after the backlash against SOPA and PIPA they respond like this.

I think it's a good time to think about alternatives to communication, contact, hosting, and so on to preserve places like HLP from becoming unreachable in the future. The internet won't get shut down immediately but when you still have time to work on alternatives and communicate them I think it should be done.
The more I think about it the more the whole case made against Megavideo feels and comes across as total idiocy, it's almost like a play of power to show the people resisting SOPA and PIPA only a day earlier that they can just destroy a big service like Megaupload without a care for anyone.

If everyone that has been duped by this act would file charges, that could certainly change things around. There's plenty of businesses, organisations and communities that put their work on Megaupload.

Anyhow, for solutions, time to download, back-up and save all mods, work, programs, that are important to you that would vanish if, say, Rapidshare or other hosting services go belly up. I'm pretty certain all SCP and mods of HLP are safely stored and backed up but saving stuff locally is in my opinion a good idea until the attack against free flow of information stops, or a underground alternative can be readied.
we'll still have freespacemods, gamefront and moddb, right?

EDIT: do these hack attacks really work? there were a lot apparently after the lockdown on wikileaks but that site doesn't look like it's anywhere near its former glory.

Does this mean HLP will become a darknet?

Or will it become even more unreachable and retract into the dark internet?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 05:54:31 pm by FlamingCobra »

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
no.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic

Fair enough. They are in a sucky position.

I've assumed that the servers were deactivated so they could be physically secured as evidence. It's not really feasible to do that AND leave the site running. My guess is that the feds simply don't really have a good procedure in place for dealing with this situation while being fair to innocent customers, so they did it the easy way (for them). Not ideal, and I suspect a lot of it is that the people doing it (and the policies constraining them) really aren't up to speed with the technology.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i never trust my data to be stored or backed up on any hardware that i do not own. want something done right, do it yerself.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
i never trust my data to be stored or backed up on any hardware that i do not own. want something done right, do it yerself.

don't you have a bandwidth cap? it'd be kind of absurd for you to want to backup your stuff on a commercially run server somewhere if it'll cost you more money to get it, much less put it there.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!

Amen. **** the cloud.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Freespacemods.net

Amen. **** the cloud.

I remember when the "cloud" was still scoffed at as a worthless buzzword. It wasn't even all that long ago really.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i still do.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
I remember when the "cloud" was still scoffed at as a worthless buzzword. It wasn't even all that long ago really.

Cloud computing will continue to become more and more practical for end users, too. Not everyone has as awful of an ISP as Nuke.