Author Topic: HLPX-COM: You're All Dying For Your Planet, Right Here!  (Read 119675 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: HLPX-COM: You're All Dying For Your Planet, Right Here!
Stupidity in X-COM kills you. Very, very dead. And then a Chryssalid hatches from your corpse.

Speaking of which, anybody else who's interested in being resurrected can also put in for it now; we're actually down to four people left in the replacement queue after filling out the roster for Dekker's Pad.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
My most recent save has gotten corrupted somehow (the game absolutely flipped out when yet another terror mission spawned at Cape Town)

There are undoubtedly additional causes, but I find that this happens reliably if I start a mission while an Interceptor has an iconified engagement going on.

You can fix this with a hex editor.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I'll volunteer to serve forum and planet.  Wouldn't mind being a designated marksman eventually but any position where I die standing will suffice.

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I think this fits:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Stupidity in X-COM kills you. Very, very dead. And then a Chryssalid hatches from your corpse.

Speaking of which, anybody else who's interested in being resurrected can also put in for it now; we're actually down to four people left in the replacement queue after filling out the roster for Dekker's Pad.

I want, I want!

both things, the stupidity and resurrection thingy.

On an unrelated/lightly related note, UFO:AI 2.4 final is out now and ready for download, got it yesterday from their site.
el hombre vicio...

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
I'll sign up for resurrection too. I'm really liking this LP, btw, keep it up!
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
(The things I sacrifice for you guys, like sleep...who the **** am I kidding, I didn't sleep because I actually like doing this.)

Dekker's Pad has staged its first successful interception. A UFO was detected on the ground in Libya and Interceptor 3 was launched with Dekker at the controls to hold it down until the Skyranger could arrive. It attempted to take off and flee, but Dekker brought it down with a pair of well-aimed Avalanche AAMs. The team landed while it was still daylight to recover the UFO, while Dekker flew cover against the possibility of interfering local aircraft; Libya is not currently a signatory to the HLPX-COM treaties, but our United Nations mandate gives us authority to operate anywhere we see fit.

The mission was uneventful; no causalities, all aliens killed or captured. We fought the purple guys in red capes again. It did see the first combat use of the HLPX-COM Stun Rod, a glorified taser/cattleprod which has been in our inventory since the beginning of the war, but which there have been few opportunities to use. It also saw yet another alien believe that using stun weapons on Spoon's tank (we built a replacement) was going to work; this time it actually hit the tank, but it's a tank, so all that did was provoke Spoon into killing the alien. The mission also vindicated the switch to Rocket Launchers for heavy weapons support, but we're currently short of laser pistol backup weapons. A new production run of personal laser weaponry for both this squad and future ones is planned, but we have something special in mind about the pistols.

A second hanger is under construction a Dekker's Pad and will be housing a Skyranger; soldiers have been recruited for second squad to operate from that base so that as soon as the Skyranger is fueled up they will be able to respond. Several members of the Area 51 combat squad will be transferred to take care of the rookies.

We're pretty much over any kind of money concerns; we have engineers working full-time at both Area 51 and Dekker's Pad building Laser Cannons, which are then sold at a significant profit to various nations who signed the HLPX-COM treaties. The fiance guys tell me that we make about four million dollars a month from this scheme and that there's no sign of the bottom falling out of the market, so from this point on we shouldn't have too much trouble staying in the black.

In the meantime, though, the aliens have hit Africa with a terror attack again. We're going to Lagos.

Spoon draws immediate fire while the tank is disembarking, but the accuracy of it is very poor. The same cannot be said of his return volley.

It's the floaties and the Demented Fuzzy Shivans again. They take a shot at Spoon, again, and this time strike home. Unfortunately for them, the tank's armor stops the plasma round cold. -Joshua- spots a Demented Fuzzy Shivan lurking near a corner, but it ducks back before he can fire. -Joshua- calls for heavy weapons support. SpardaSon provides, and the alien learns there's no hiding behind corners when they don't exist anymore!

SpardaSon misses a second missile shot the next turn at a caped guy. Jg18 takes six shots but only takes out the fence in front of the alien. Axem steps up and puts out an auto burst that strikes home twice, but the alien is still alive enough to return a single plasma round. Axem fires another burst at the alien and takes it down.

TrashMan attempts to launch an incendiary missile through a small park and into a fence, but the spirit of Goober5000 temporarily seizes control of him and he fires it into a low hedge next to Spoon's tank. The tank is sprayed with shrapnel, and the paint on it actually catches fire. (Given my understanding of the game mechanics, Trash has just done something impossible; tanks are not supposed to be able to catch fire. It goes out on the next turn at least.)

A Demented Fuzzy Shivan attempts to close in from the south. -Joshua-, mindful of everything he remembers about Hallfight, takes six auto rounds at it for three hits, and finishes it with a snapshot. Meanwhile, another shot is taken at TrashMan and yet another at the tank without obvious source. Spoon fires into a small building in the hopes of a blind hit, and discovers the alien. He misses, but clears out so TrashMan can take a missile shot. Trash misses and blows away most of two walls of a nice little house, leaving it to -Joshua- to make the killshot.

Axem spots another Demented Fuzzy Shivan trying to come through the store we've mostly destroyed, and fires off a quick burst for one hit. The lack of knowledge about possible civilians in the area makes SpardaSon reluctant to use his missile launcher, so The E launches an incendiary missile at the creature, which sets it on fire. Jr2 contributes a couple more laser hits. Despite all this, the creature still stands and manages to move away during its turn.

Jg18, scouting south and throwing flares for illumination, encounters another alien hugging a fence. He takes a quick snapshot and ducks for cover, while -Joshua-, who is covering him, sprays out six beams and tags the alien with two, killing it. Axem moves after the Demented Fuzzy Shivan that is trying to run. A panicking civilian blocks direct line of sight at it, so Axem blasts through a wall with the first round of an auto burst. The following two rounds deliver the Demented Fuzzy Shivan to his (probably also demented and fuzzy) gods.

TrashMan makes up a bit for his crappy aim earlier by blasting an alien that was hiding out on a roof which can't be reached from the ground.

Jg18 presses south again and spots another alien who is unwisely standing the glare of a streetlight. He gets a hit this time with an auto burst, but not a kill. SpardaSon tries for a rocket shot, but it's a complete wash. The E takes over and manages to kill the alien by putting his rocket into the streetlight pole.

Curiously, the rest of the streetlight doesn't fall down. In fact, it doesn't even turn off. Physics is a lie!

-Joshua- leapfrogs past Jg18, and spots another alien, lurking towards the back of a park. Jg18 opens fire with what is becoming a distressingly familiar inaccuracy; three short bursts, nine rounds, one hit per burst. But he does get the kill.

A single alien remains. While Spoon and SpardaSon close in, the alien abruptly loses his **** and starts firing at random. Three rounds go into a tree, killing it pretty thoroughly, two glance off the front of the tank but do no harm, one leaves a nasty burn mark on the canopy of the Skyranger over sixty squares away and startles Darius, two are fired into the air seemingly at random, and one travels forty squares and hits The E dead center in his armor's chestplate. The armor holds, and The E is uninjured. -Joshua- stops the alien's madness with a single shot into the neck.

Mission complete. The victory is not grand, though it is a victory. But the true victory here is something much different. For the first time, HLPX-COM has seen proof the alien menace it faces is not implacable. The aliens know fear. And not only do the aliens know fear, the aliens fear us.

(I still have no idea where we killed a civilian; they don't seem to be playing their death scream when we kill them.)

As a result of the recent influx of redshirts soldiers with the establishment of squad at Dekker's Pad, some promotions have been given to some of our more capable or long-serving soldiers.

A Feddie Story

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
**** yeah Armor.

Also, to celebrate me making Captain of this outfit, drinks are on me tonight.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I can't help but think that this means you're doomed to have a psi strength of 5.

i would like to submit all battutas for service in a martyrdom operation. please assign battututas to bodies bad at shooting, being brave, and not being blaster bombed. the flesh is temporary

general is the first name by the way. it is 'rookie general battuta'. that is the name.

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
I can't help but think that this means you're doomed to have a psi strength of 5.

i would like to submit all battutas for service. please assign battututas to bodies bad at shooting, being brave, and not being blaster bombed. i want to die again and again

general is the first name by the way. it is 'rookie general battuta'. that is the name.

I thought it was Holmes?  ;7
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Mort

• The dog that went meow
Sign me up for cannon fodder

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Not only do I avoid Spoons tank-karma, but I also do the impossible. Call me Immolator.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
You can rebuild me.  You have the technology.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
I wanna be the guy!

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Just out of curiosity what is the end game for this?  The alien hordes thrown at you eventually are to powerful to overcome?  You repulse enough incursions they decide its easier to rock drop the planet instead?  It seems pretty open ended I was curious how it typically wraps up.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Just out of curiosity what is the end game for this?  The alien hordes thrown at you eventually are to powerful to overcome?  You repulse enough incursions they decide its easier to rock drop the planet instead?  It seems pretty open ended I was curious how it typically wraps up.

Once you've captured alien leaders and navigators, you can track the alien ships back to a base...somewhere. You'll have to launch risky missions to capture alien fuel and technology in order to build a craft capable of getting you there. Then it's time to pick your best operatives, charge up the power armor, rack up your heavy plasma and blaster launchers, and make a hail mary attack.

The aliens will intensify their missions. They're not just appearing at random - they have their own point system, own strategic AI, and own objectives. As XCOM becomes more successful, expect to see UFOs scouting for our bases just as we scout for theirs, and alien strike teams dispatched to destroy our strongholds.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.

It ends beneath red sands.

Or with the annihilation of all human life.

A Feddie Story

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
It ends with this song.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Sounds good, I only gamble with my life anyway.

You folks mentioned that failure to counter terror missions can lead to member states pulling the plug on support and possibly treating with the xenos themselves.  Plus apparently there are non client states.  Do you ever have to deal with terran based opposition forces?  Either in league with the xenos or just the garden variety crazies?  I tend to think that would add an interesting layer of complexity having to do COIN Ops and stem alien intrigues.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Dammit -Joshua-, as soon as I transfer out you take a good record and turn it into a two word report labeled "bad accuracy". :(

Also, we've already encountered collaborators, albeit unwilling ones.

**** Chryssalids.