Author Topic: HLPX-COM: You're All Dying For Your Planet, Right Here!  (Read 118588 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: HLPX-COM: You're All Dying For Your Planet, Right Here!
Orangish is...erh..

Energy/stamina. It usually doesn't matter, but represents endurance, so it goes down if you haul a lot of weight around a long way, and recovers a little more slowly than TUs do. (Sometimes a lot more slowly.) There's a limit to how many TUs you can spend per point of orange stuff left, though I don't know the exact interplay; as I said, it's usually not an issue. It can be pumped up with Medikit stimulants if it runs low.

Speaking of which, the Medikit: one stop shop for what ails you in-mission.

I took this while checking Col. Fishguts last mission. We have Medikits now too, but without armor people who live long enough to need them are few. You can dispense three things. Painkillers pump up the purple stuff, which is morale; it's basically happy injections. Stimulants can be used to revive fatigued or stunned soldiers (we haven't even done stunning yet, I'll have to break out the stun rods more). Heals do not, I think, actually heal HP (or if they do, only in very small amounts). They instead fix what the game calls "Fatal Wounds"; wounds deep enough or serious enough that left untreated they will have a cumulative negative effect on the health of the soldier, i.e. drain his HP from blood loss or something similar. Fishguts doesn't have any, despite taking some shrapnel from a cyberdisc explosion, so my ability to further illustrate is limited.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I played it ye olde days...
Tempted to try it again.

And why am I carrying a laser rifle? I want a auto-canon!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
My tank!  :hopping:
The replacement laser tank is already being produced (sorry Spoon, this one will in fact be nicer I promise), with a time estimate of 3 days and 22 hours
How different is the laser tank compared to the cannon version?

In conclusion, always drive Spoon.
Hell yeah mother****er.  :pimp:

For this, he's rewarded by TrashMan reactionfiring at a third alien, only Trash fires his rifle into the back of Spoon's tank.
True trash indeed.
Of course, Boober5000 didn't lived long enough to regret the damage he did to my tank. Karma will find its way to Trash soon enough.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There does seem to be a correlation between people firing at Spoon and people getting killed.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
In conclusion, always drive Spoon.
Hell yeah mother****er.  :pimp:[/quote]

No thanks, I don't swing that way!

Of course, Boober5000 didn't lived long enough to regret the damage he did to my tank. Karma will find its way to Trash soon enough.

I shall be it's vessel to deliver divine retribution upon the aliens.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

The replacement laser tank is already being produced (sorry Spoon, this one will in fact be nicer I promise), with a time estimate of 3 days and 22 hours

Does it come with IFF?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
This thread is ridiculously entertaining.  I volunteer for duty if required, on the condition that if I die it must be heroically.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
My tank!  :hopping:
How different is the laser tank compared to the cannon version?

1 - The Laser tank remains viable through most of the game in terms of firepower where as the Cannon tank sux (indeed there is an interesting stat with the etheral terror creature where lasers are more effective than plasma)
2 - cannon tank 30 rounds per mission and requires ammo stored at base, Laser tank has 255 rounds per mission and does not require reloads to be stored at base.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Sign me up for be an hero.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Spoon http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Tank_Comparison lists 1st game tanks and their stats
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
How is the cannon more accurate than the laser???
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Laser does more damage and costs slightly fewer TU to use, and never runs out of ammo or requires expensive purchases

Just imagine that the aliens can see the tank's laser charging up and thus have the time to dive out of the way. Or something.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo

Laser does more damage and costs slightly fewer TU to use, and never runs out of ammo or requires expensive purchases

Yes, but that does not adress why the gun seems to be more accurate according to the table previously linked. Simple game balance, perhaps?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I took this while checking Col. Fishguts last mission. We have Medikits now too, but without armor people who live long enough to need them are few. You can dispense three things. Painkillers pump up the purple stuff, which is morale; it's basically happy injections. Stimulants can be used to revive fatigued or stunned soldiers (we haven't even done stunning yet, I'll have to break out the stun rods more). Heals do not, I think, actually heal HP (or if they do, only in very small amounts). They instead fix what the game calls "Fatal Wounds"; wounds deep enough or serious enough that left untreated they will have a cumulative negative effect on the health of the soldier, i.e. drain his HP from blood loss or something similar. Fishguts doesn't have any, despite taking some shrapnel from a cyberdisc explosion, so my ability to further illustrate is limited.

Painkillers can only refill morale lost due to injuries. AFAIK heals do give you some HP for each fatal wound healed, so it's always important to treat even minor fatal wounds (lol) otherwise you'll end up with soldiers with weeks of sick leave. Also IIRC stimulants can refill energy, not 100% sure on that though.

Also I remember Battuta talking about the lack of snipers in this game: If you get really skilled soldiers (ie accuracy > 100%) you can operate with snipers. What I've tried is up to 3 sniper teams of a sniper and support gunner, depending on how many good shots you have, and as many tanks as you can fit in your craft as you can. Support gunners are pretty much pack mules for anything you don't want your snipers carrying: HE, flares, medi-kits, smoke, etc. There's no real (and GOOD) sniper rifle in the game, so they're not really there for covering fire, but early on in the game (usually up until you get blaster bombs) I'd like to keep at least one autocannon with incendiary ammunition for illumination. Flares are kinda better for illumination if you've got someone with a good arm, but if not incendiaries are more fun.

Lastly, I'm kinda mad that there's only one kind of ammunition for the Tank/Cannon. It would be 100 times more useful if you could carry 10 AP, HE, and I. Or even just to choose a full load of any of the three.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I don't think you can really call them snipers, though, they're just marksmen/riflemen in the classical mold - aimed fire on targets.

Offline watsisname

* watsisname signs on for the love of lasers!
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I'm ready to die for mother terra.

Huzzah!
el hombre vicio...

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I don't think you can really call them snipers, though, they're just marksmen/riflemen in the classical mold - aimed fire on targets.

I don't think that really does the differing tactics justice. When I think of riflemen in X-COM, I think of the soldiers that go out to hunt down and fight the enemy but not the soldiers that sit and wait in cover until an opportunity to take a shot opens up. Calling them marksmen makes much more sense than calling them riflemen, and if they're the same thing (which is how I read your post) then I'm missing something here.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
In the school of X-COM doctrine I've always floated through the marksmen/riflemen (same thing) are the individuals who provide overwatch from covered positions while the scouts/runners/assaulters/expendables (same thing) advance to contact. The role of the former is to shoot every alien sighted, the role of the latter is to spot things and try, futilely, to avoid death.

Classically the rifleman was drilled on marksmanship, but was distinct from the sniper, who is also an expert on fieldcraft. I don't think there's any room for the sniper role in XCOM game mechanics.

e: 'Sniper' in general is a term that's enormously overused in video games at large, since the role in question is almost always rifleman in the classical sense or designated marksman in the modern sense.