Author Topic: Dimensional Eclipse Discussion Thread (original release thread)  (Read 154516 times)

Re: RELEASE: Dimensional Eclipse
Alright, renaming the folder to AshenWings/data/hud (no caps) didn't resolve the crash, but the fs2-log shows it finds the 1288 files now. I'm not going to try to iterate through all permutations of capitalisation for the individual files, if that is even the problem now. Can you tell me what the capitalisation should be? I'd like to help make this playable on Linux, so I'll keep testing if you can think of a way to resolve the crash.
Oh, new fs2_open.log, right

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Alright, I'll try to get a list of correct folder capitalizations. Everything else is all lower-case though, and I think that that's what they "should" be.
The whole case-sensitive thing sounds like a nightmare, mainly because I can't even test it and I don't know the correct capitalizations.

Where exactly is it crashing? At this point I'm starting to doubt I have actually pinpointed the issue correctly. :nervous:
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
IIRC on Linux the capitalizations you need are:

1) all folders/directories lower case
2) all extensions lower case (e.g. .tbm, not .TBM)

(although to be honest, it'd be simpler if everything was lowercase)

Yes, it's a pain and I'd like to fix it so that FSO no longer care about the case...
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Well, I'll be damned. I tried the mission with the non-debug build, and it worked. The debug build crashes just before I get control over my fighter in C1:05.

Well, I'll see if I can play through the whole campaign now, might take me a bit though. Thanks for the help, I'll be back with feedback!

Offline cio

I have some problems with mission C1:04.
After about 15 seconds fs2_open just terminates. Tried it with a custom build from svn on linux and a 9292 nightly binary on windows. Same problem again. :(
I couldn't get the 9295 nightly to run on linux, since the elf is 32 bit and have an 64 bit system and thus missing libraries.

Does this ring a bell?

I don't have the debug log on this machine, it said something like:
array index out of bounds and right after that bitmap size error of some bitmap resource.
As a programmer I know this is not very helpful..

I have all the AshenWings vps and the patch.
I really want to play this  :(  :banghead:
Please  help me!

Offline Droid803

Presumably it's another capitalization "error" which is not an issue on windows where I (and all my testers) tested this on, or whatever error EvidenceofFault was having.

a debug log file please?
(´・ω・`)

Hello, just playing through this and loving it, though I'm also having to relearn how to dogfight...

Anyway, strange bug on Chapter 2, Mission 6: Cornered Beasts. Partway into the mission, when I kill Psi 1 (like clockwork, I'm certain this is the trigger), epic slowdown ensues, and I'm getting about 3-4 fps. About thirty seconds later everything returns to normal speed and the mission continues without problems. So, not a gamebreaker, but still very annoying.

I would post a debug log for this, but when I ran it in debugger mode, it began complaining about missing background textures and crashes. So, that debug log is posted instead.

Using Nightly Build INF-SSE-3.6.15_r9292.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 05:44:33 pm by Dark Hunter »
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Droid803

The reason for that is a PCS2 bug that messed with its debris radii or something, which has been fixed on my end...I really need to get that 1.1 patch out but dammit featurecreep. Well, at least I'm feature creeping after release.
(´・ω・`)

Ok, I like this mod a lot, so please don't take this the wrong way, but...

Is there any build of FS_Open that this mod actually works on? I keep getting black-out screens (though the game apparently continues), music cuts in and out, or random crashes. It is getting a little frustrating.

(Current build is INF-SSE-3.6.15_r9292, for reference.)
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I notice a distinct lag of debug log in your bug report.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Sorry about that. I forgot it.

Offline Droid803

Wait what, it doesn't seem that you're loading the mod at all? Is that the right log file? :P
(´・ω・`)

*looks at timestamp*

Dammit, that's an ancient log. My bad.

Well, now I've looked all over the place and the debugger does not seem to be generating a log file. Either that or it's putting it someplace outside the FS directory that I don't know about.

Argh, in that case, I've attached the error data it spewed when it crashed. I know it's not as useful as a full debug log, but it's all I've got.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 02:42:48 am by Dark Hunter »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The log should be in the data directory of your Freespace folder (It's called fs2_open.log, btw). Without it, no help is possible.

If you can't see it, refer to this:
*NOTE FOR PEOPLE USING WINDOWS VISTA OR 7:
If you installed FS2 to C:\Program Files\ (or C:\Program Files (x86)\ on 64-bit versions of Windows), the log file will not be in FS2\data\, but rather in a "virtualized" folder. This can be found by either going to the data folder, and clicking on the "Compatibility Files" button in the Explorer window, or by manually navigating to C:\Users\<Your Username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\<Rest of the path to your FS2 directory>\data
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Yes, I actually just went to the tech support forum and found that note. I'm an idiot.  :p

Log attached.

Offline Droid803

GAH what. The afterburner sound is causing an assert!?
WTF.
(´・ω・`)

I know, right?

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Oh, oh! I got a solution!

Don't use your afterburner! :P
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
do a barrel roll!
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Well, I managed to get a bit farther in that mission (I did a test afterburn early on and the game didn't crash... yay randomness). And instead I got this assertion failure a bit after the Fuyukaze arrived.

The irritating thing is that whenever I play the mission (The Defense) on a non-debug build, it runs smoothly until the Emperor-class shows up, at which point it just crashes. Instantly. I'd really like to get a debug log of that error, but the debug build won't get that far without crashing due to other stuff!  :ick:

Anyway, debug log of the error I did get attached.

EDIT: Playing with an older Nightly build (r8670) seems to have fixed the problem. Nightly Build r9292 appears to be broken for this campaign on mission "The Defense".

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 01:49:52 am by Dark Hunter »