Author Topic: War in Heaven P1 Voice Acting Call, Take 2  (Read 40695 times)

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Re: War in Heaven P1 Voice Acting Call, Take 2
But they are many voice morphing programs out there that does excellent jobs to morph voices to sound like a different person. Giving you maybe 10+ casts for 1 person.
Cobra, you should use this if you don't have enough people to give you voices. If you have 1-10 very good voice actors, you could give them roles to voice more casts, and morph their voices to a different voice that sounds suitable.

Of course, accents can't be changed. But if a voice actor can do different accents, you're golden. :)
No, they do a terrible job.

When I was running this, there were a couple of submitters that for one reason or another decided to use a voice morphing program.  The voice morphing program destroyed the quality of the audio, by making it terribly noisy and/or amplifying/morphing the noise in the audio.  When these submissions were put beside another actor (even the terrible VAs) the audio at best sounded like bad impressions of Steven Hawking, at worst is was unintelligible.  This is in addition to the morphing process making the voice standout against all of the others which is not generally what we are looking for.

Yes, accents are cool, but most of the VAs that I got to hear, were actually quite bad at it,
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Magpi

Have more roles been added since the changeover? I had a couple more that I was planning on recording but I also wanna know if it's time to do another sweep through the roles to pick out ones I like.
I would rather be void of purpose than have the void be my purpose.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Have more roles been added since the changeover? I had a couple more that I was planning on recording but I also wanna know if it's time to do another sweep through the roles to pick out ones I like.

Probably wise to check through the list. I believe there are still major roles we haven't finished even prepping to cast.

But they are many voice morphing programs out there that does excellent jobs to morph voices to sound like a different person. Giving you maybe 10+ casts for 1 person.
Cobra, you should use this if you don't have enough people to give you voices. If you have 1-10 very good voice actors, you could give them roles to voice more casts, and morph their voices to a different voice that sounds suitable.

Of course, accents can't be changed. But if a voice actor can do different accents, you're golden. :)
No, they do a terrible job.

When I was running this, there were a couple of submitters that for one reason or another decided to use a voice morphing program.  The voice morphing program destroyed the quality of the audio, by making it terribly noisy and/or amplifying/morphing the noise in the audio.  When these submissions were put beside another actor (even the terrible VAs) the audio at best sounded like bad impressions of Steven Hawking, at worst is was unintelligible.  This is in addition to the morphing process making the voice standout against all of the others which is not generally what we are looking for.

Yes, accents are cool, but most of the VAs that I got to hear, were actually quite bad at it,

I am 100% sure that those people didn't use a good voice morpher.

They are very good voice morphers out there. Have you ever thought about the 100's of movies where they have dark evil voices? Like Lord of the Rings, Saurons Voice. I know they exist and I've used them in the past with pretty nice results.
Some morph your voice on the spot for ex playing with your friends with skype, ventrilo etc,etc. I found one of those that makes a pretty nice job and it's named Screaming Bee.

Some others take your spoken line, and analyzes it and morphs it for a higher quality.

Trust me, just think about all the movies and games where they have used morphers to get a desired voice.

Judging after what some people did with their voices for a role, is really ignorant. Look it up yourself.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft

They are very good voice morphers out there. Have you ever thought about the 100's of movies where they have dark evil voices? Like Lord of the Rings, Saurons Voice. I know they exist and I've used them in the past with pretty nice results.
Some morph your voice on the spot for ex playing with your friends with skype, ventrilo etc,etc. I found one of those that makes a pretty nice job and it's named Screaming Bee.

Some others take your spoken line, and analyzes it and morphs it for a higher quality.

Trust me, just think about all the movies and games where they have used morphers to get a desired voice.

Judging after what some people did with their voices for a role, is really ignorant. Look it up yourself.

There is a difference between normal people using free products you can find on the internet and professionals who have entire teams dedicated to audio using products that cost money.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Okay, so, I submitted auditions for Kassim and Ranvir Control ages ago - I never heard anything back. Were those files passed on to you, Cobra, or should I resubmit them? I see Kassim has been cast, so, it'd just be the lines for Ranvir.
They will have been transferred to Cobra if you received a "receipt" message from me.  PM Cobra your email address and he can check the archive.  I checked my copy, your handle on HLP does not come up in the search so I assume you used a different name in the submission.

That I did. I've sent the info to Cobra via PM, hopefully they'll turn up!

There is a difference between normal people using free products you can find on the internet and professionals who have entire teams dedicated to audio using products that cost money.

Well yea, you aint gonna get any good Morphed voice if you don't pay some pocket money. Good Voice morphers are cheap

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

Well yea, you aint gonna get any good Morphed voice if you don't pay some pocket money. Good Voice morphers are cheap

I'm not using that ****. End of discussion.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Meatball, you seem to have confused this with a professional and/or funded venture.  It's entirely unfunded, and done solely with free time and dedication.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
If it meant this was done sooner I would buy you people a voice morpher.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I'm not using that ****. End of discussion.

:|
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

So, I guess my lines to Mneur-san aren't going to be used?
I'm assuming so, since no one got back to me about Kassim, Ken, and others...
I got a receipt from him before. So, I guess Cobra-san has those lines now?

I guess, all I can do is PM Cobra-san my email address.

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
What kind of hardware and software do you guys actually use to voiceact? I'd be interested in doing some minor roles but I do not have microphone/headset whatsoever. Any tips?

Offline -Norbert-

I just use my normal headset (digitus) and a programm called Exp Audio Editor. While it can only record as wav in the free version, it's very easy to use (but the only "editing" I did, was cutting silence from the front and end of the records).
Then I used JetAudio to convert the files from wav to ogg.

From people asking the same question you just did, I gathered that many people seem to be using Audacity (or something like that, I'm not 100% sure about the spelling) or the audio recorder that comes with windows itself.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
I'm using Audacity.

Offline kjir

Yeah, I use Audacity, but I record from a netbook that has an integrated microphone on the display bezel. Since it's not right next to my mouth, I don't have to deal with any of the popping, cracking and whistling that comes with a headset mic. You can use Audacity to do a pretty good job of cutting out the recording fizz that comes during the silences.

In terms of voice morphing, play around with some of the plug-in options on Audacity and see what comes out. I can do a half-way decent morph of a Space Marine from the WH40k: Dawn of War series just by futzing with the delay/echo options.

For the team, I had a question about the roles: Captain Telfer's role, male or female? And is that really 234 lines for his/her role? I actually don't remember Telfer at all.

Offline Aesaar

Male.  He does all the mission briefings up to My Brother, My Enemy (up until you transfer to the Indus).

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
I'm going to try recording some lines and see how they sound; if it's not too terrible I'll send 'em in.   :D

Submitted a minor role.  Hopefully it isn't god-awful or anything <.<

No response from Cobra-san.
Is he still around?