Author Topic: Kickstarter thread: Kick all the things!  (Read 6584 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Re: Kickstarter thread: Kick all the things!
That video makes his proposition for making a new game much more interesting. Before I said I was not convinced from his prior description of the re-work that it would be any better than any open development of Elite clones might be, but that does indeed look quite interesting.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Tactical combat game featuring flying battleships set in an alternate history 1910.

Browser/Mobile game, so not exactly an AAA title, but I love the board game so this is going to the top of my contribute list.

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
    • German Wing Commander Site
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/subterraneangames/war-for-the-overworld

Dungeon Keeper Clon

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/g3studios/thorvalla-an-rpg-by-guido-henkel

RPG from Guido Henkel, the Designer behind Planescape Torment

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/22cans/project-godus

Peter trys it again. The best from Populous, Dungeon Keeper and Black & White in one god game

:)
Star Citizen No. 250

Bit of a stale bump here, but this thread is sort of my baby...

Race the Sun is a procedurally generated high-speed racing/obstacle course. They describe one of their influences as Star Fox, and it really does look like it, except about 10x faster, and I don't think there are things to shoot, just flying as fast and as far as you can.

8 hours left in the campaign as of right now, and only $2500 left to go.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Bit of a stale bump here, but this thread is sort of my baby...

Race the Sun is a procedurally generated high-speed racing/obstacle course. They describe one of their influences as Star Fox, and it really does look like it, except about 10x faster, and I don't think there are things to shoot, just flying as fast and as far as you can.

8 hours left in the campaign as of right now, and only $2500 left to go.

Happily, they made it. :) This was one that I was watching anxiously.

I hope somebody (possibly me) uses their mod support to add an "audiosurf" mode. The pre-alpha game is wicked fun when played with your own tunes already, imagine if the landscape was at least partially responsive...

Have another!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/idgi/consortium-0
Consortium: A "new breed" of RPG in which you apparently actually get to play your role, however you choose. It promises more, and more meaningful decisions, and realistically behaving enemies and NPCs.

Dunno how many of you guys play tactical wargames on the tabletop, but Palladium (publishers of the Robotech RPG) is making a new miniature-based games for Robotech:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rrpgt/robotech-rpg-tacticstm

Go kickstart it so I can get more toys with my BattleCry pledge!

Or if any of you just want some cool Robotech/Macross figs to paint up and put on your shelf now's your chance. Decorate that desktop area with a Mac II Monster ;) (though you'll need to paint it too)

Offline Lorric

Anyone else click on the play button and was immediately disappointed ? :g: ;)

And me...  :D

Allez-bump!

Jagged Alliance Flashback has 24 hours to go, and is still just a little short.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback?ref=live

Hello, what's this? Double Fine is making ANOTHER kickstarted game? OK, so what's it like?

Quote from: MASSIVE CHALICE
If turn-based tactics and feudal fantasy had a lovechild, and that offspring founded a mighty century-spanning dynasty, it would be MASSIVE CHALICE.

Ok, so far, so good.

We're inspired by classic tactical strategy games like X-COM, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Fire Emblem, as well as

No no, shhhh, don't say another word. Stop talking, take my money.

TACTICAL STRATEGY
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

TACTICAL STRATEGY
What the **** is tactical strategy?
Is it different than strategic tactics?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

What the **** is tactical strategy?
Is it different than strategic tactics?

Yes! Perhaps to make sure to appeal to all those who don't really know the difference, but still like the genre, or it's going to be like Total War. idk, still sounds cool.

Offline Lorric

I have a couple of questions that I haven't been able to find the answer to, and I wonder if anyone could help me.

If the project doesn't meet it's target, does no money change hands?

And what is to stop someone just pocketing the money and disappearing off into the sunset?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If the project doesn't meet it's target, does no money change hands?

Correct. Only if the funding target is met after the time allotted has passed is money actually collected from the donor's accounts.

And what is to stop someone just pocketing the money and disappearing off into the sunset?

Nothing whatsoever. There's also nothing whatsoever to guarantee that even if the people making the kickstarter are working dilligently on it will succeed in their endeavour (Of course, if someone were to just ride off into the sunset with the money, they'd have a difficult time repeating the performance).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Lorric

Thanks.

Ooooh, that's dodgy. That certainly requires a lot of trust.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Which is why you'll generally see a lot of effort being put into the sucessful kickstarters. If a game developer cannot convince potential backers of their ability to deliver the goods, the kickstarter usually fails (See, for example, the Double Fine Adventure KS, or the Torment: Tides of Numenera one). In other words, in order to pull off a successful scam on Kickstarter, you'd have to actually build a presentation convincing enough to fool people into believing that you have the skills to successfully pull it off; this is kinda hard to do if you do not have a reputation as a developer.

Basically, when Chris Avellone says "I need money to do this game", I am willing to give him my money cos I know he's able to do it.
J. Random Person? Not so much.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Of course, there's also nothing from stopping somebody from setting up a goal of $1, so that no matter how much they get they take it all.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/551129138/energy-hook-0

Though this guy does seem to be able to actually deliver.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event