Author Topic: GVC Mentu [RELEASED]  (Read 36552 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I'm with Betrayal - desatch those green bits. Actually, you might want to look at desatching large chuks of the rear end  - a lot of the "Cartoony" look FSW is talking about is probably the result of contrasting high intensity colours in close proximity.

That said, it's already looking good, and given the WiP pics you posted of the Newet way back when, I know you've got the texturing chops to do Vasudans justice. Looking forward to more pics. :)
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
I think the green parts should be a bit toned down. Less saturated then they are now.
Agree, for now I have removed it as the contrast is too jarring to the eye.

Wow, this is looking great. The wingtips appear a little blunt, and may look better pointed. The textures at the back may be a little 'cartoony', but I realise you're not finished.

cheers!
I work very sporadic when it come to texturing :P A bit everywhere, I tried out with the pointed wings and it looks better.

I'm with Betrayal - desatch those green bits. Actually, you might want to look at desatching large chuks of the rear end  - a lot of the "Cartoony" look FSW is talking about is probably the result of contrasting high intensity colours in close proximity.

That said, it's already looking good, and given the WiP pics you posted of the Newet way back when, I know you've got the texturing chops to do Vasudans justice. Looking forward to more pics. :)
Thanks, the newet itself is buried somewhere in my external hard drive collecting dust.
The cartoony look is indeed because of the overly green armour part and it overall looks better now. ( the over plating on the back still looks a bit odd.)

I heard u leik turrets and engines ( work in progress ) :P

« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 04:08:41 pm by Oddgrim »
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Dat ass. Seriously very good. I can't wait to see this with a shine map   :yes:

Semi-constructive criticism: The tile map looks a little stretched at the apex of the cabin. The tiles also look a bit small and 'crushed'. I prefer nice big armour plates, me. These ones are going to coalesce into a sandy blur in the middle distance, particularly on the wings.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 09:36:30 am by zoidburger »

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Wow... I love your texturing style.  :yes:
I'll try to imitate it for my Ptah. I hope the final product resembles yours.
Imitation is the best compliment I can give you.  :nod:

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
Dat ass. Seriously very good. I can't wait to see this with a shine map   :yes:

Semi-constructive criticism: The tile map looks a little stretched at the apex of the cabin. The tiles also look a bit small and 'crushed'. I prefer nice big armour plates, me. These ones are going to coalesce into a sandy blur in the middle distance, particularly on the wings.
Thanks for feedback.
Did toy with the idea, but due to the horrid resolution (retail texture is very pixelated) I had to make new ones , which is more fun anyways :p

Wow... I love your texturing style.  :yes:
I'll try to imitate it for my Ptah. I hope the final product resembles yours.
Imitation is the best compliment I can give you.  :nod:
thanks! , Your path is a lovely model and I wish you good luck on texturing it c:

Another Render.
Did a lot of texture redesign... well I'm feeling a bit too lazy to explain what I did so heres a image. c:

EDIT: Lvlshot please! - Mjn
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 03:46:04 pm by mjn.mixael »
My models page:

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
If I didn't know better, I woulda thought that the underside turrets were wheels. :yes:

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
excellent.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
I do like the large plate version a lot more. Excellent work.  :)

Offline bkd86

The large panels do look better, but I would add back some of the color variation, wear and tear etc. I looks flat atm. Very nice model.

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I altered your wip shot 'cause I wondered what it would look like with the lighter center. Decided to share.

EDIT: Lvlshot plz.
Sorry Mjn, forgot about the people with smaller screens. That image is smaller that what lvlshot displays for me.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 07:51:33 pm by Alan Bolte »
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Kolgena

Underside turrets look a bit too big (so too easy to shoot/damage), but it could just be me. The curvy barrels also don't make sense to me.

Otherwise, a very good looking model.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The curvy barrels also don't make sense to me.
SENSE ? IN MAH FREESPACE ?

DO NOT WANT.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Thanks for feedback.

You're very welcome.

Did a lot of texture redesign...

No kidding! It's looking badass. Your texture work on the cabin and tech details is astonishing, it actually reminds me of Geiger's artwork. The armour plating looks a bit plain by comparison (though I do like the chunky new plates :)). All in all, it's impressive, and with normal and shine maps, it's going to [sunglasses] shine [\sunglasses].

Couldn't resist. Please don't hurt me!

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
If I didn't know better, I woulda thought that the underside turrets were wheels. :yes:
Rolling,rolling...  http://www.clayh.net/fs2/rawhide.htm

The large panels do look better, but I would add back some of the color variation, wear and tear etc. I looks flat atm. Very nice model.
On the flatness I agree, I'll play around with adding a third layer with some colour variation in the end stages. (nitpick stage!)

I altered your wip shot 'cause I wondered what it would look like with the lighter center. Decided to share.

It was a bit dark on that area on the render, showing off a side shot with possible glow spots, but thanks for the idea.

Underside turrets look a bit too big (so too easy to shoot/damage), but it could just be me. The curvy barrels also don't make sense to me.

Otherwise, a very good looking model.

I tend to agree on the size of it so I reduzed the general size, but the curvy turret stays! ( I can draw up a diagram on how it could theoretically function c:)
The curvy barrels also don't make sense to me.
SENSE ? IN MAH FREESPACE ?

DO NOT WANT.
I second this! :p

Thanks for feedback.

You're very welcome.

Did a lot of texture redesign...

No kidding! It's looking badass. Your texture work on the cabin and tech details is astonishing, it actually reminds me of Geiger's artwork. The armour plating looks a bit plain by comparison (though I do like the chunky new plates :)). All in all, it's impressive, and with normal and shine maps, it's going to [sunglasses] shine [\sunglasses].

Couldn't resist. Please don't hurt me!

I was a huge fan of Gigers work when younger but now, a bit less but still enjoy his work.  c: I dread when starting with normal mapping , I'm not very good at it  :banghead:

Turret redesign, added more swirls to the curves. :p (turret textures need more work) , worked on the underside mostly and fixing errors in the mechanical parts of ship, aaand now starts the nitpicking stage.

My models page:

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The MP turrets look odd, but otherwise, great model. :yes:

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Love the new Mentu; not sure about the curves barrels on multipart turrets.

R

Offline bkd86

If you don't own ndo2 you should, will make your life a lot easier. Creating very clean normal maps with it is very easy with a little practice.

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Looking pretty deadly.  :yes:

If we're in the nitpicking stage though, I'd say that that center seam needs work. Were i texturing I think I'd reduce the mirroring slightly to avoid having the seam run perfectly through the center like that, but then again I don't texture.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 08:10:06 pm by Alan Bolte »
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
It's gorgeous texturing, but if I could suggest two small colour changes - the main scale texture should probabyl have a little bit more green in it, like the original mentu texture, and that sky blue strip could probably be changed to one of the more traditional Vasudan glowy colours - more of a royal blue, or yellow.

But I have to reiterate - truly, truly amazing work here. I really hope you take another look at that Newet texture when you're done with this - a few more Vasudan models of this calibre would be incredibly welcome. :nod:
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp