Author Topic: The Untold stories of the Lylat War (a star fox mod)  (Read 38339 times)

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
  • maveric modeler, the sky is just the begining
The Untold stories of the Lylat War (a star fox mod)
new update, we c

UPDATE: Current team: Mando: modeler, and convertor (hopefully); Scourge of ages: fredder    I will be sometime in the future searching for a scripter, as I have a doable theory on a version of a boss you are all hoping to see

ok, since SOL is now official in essence hibernation(if dabrain returns it will hopefully get revitalized)/dead-ish, I have decided to officialy start a starfox mod. The name is yet to be determined, mine will also take place in the same time period(between SF64 and adventure), however the story itself will be determined later, though I have a basic idea in the works however. so here is my plan, I am going to put together the entire mod in phases(at the end of each phase I plan to do a release after a short beta session), in which a cerrtian number of goals are achieved, to allieviate the wait, and to make it so that if the steam on the mod does runout, at lleast there will be some results from what has been created, with each phase building upon the previous(note, each phase will include all the material from the previous one, however there will be differences as the mod is developed and the balancing is altered, so downloading each one will give you a different, yet similar experience).

Purpose: to give an authenitic, and fun starfox experience including many playable and some non-playable ship, and an interesting dogfighting experience

PHASES

Phase 1(dogfighting): create basic fighter shipset, with the arwings I already made, and for sure the arwing 64, and 2 conerian fighters(SF2+SF64) for a total of 6 friendly fighters(all playable, but only arwing+and variants in mission), and 10+ enemy fighters, and to add for a bit more variety, at least 1 conerian support craft, and one or two andronian frigates
and, basic gameplay changes to make it more starfox-esk, and 2 basic multiplayer maps, and if I have a fredder  a handful of basic missions.

Phase 2(capitals and more): add larger ships, including conerian battleship and carrier from SF64, and maybe other support craft, and a large # of andronian ships, and additional playable fighters, and perhaps a couple mroe enemy fighters; hopefully have a fredder by this point so more missions, and multiplayer levels

Phase3(campaign): would hope to add more fighters if any are not left, and develop a campaign, if any are still needed any engine changes should hopefully be made by now, along with multiple courses and such.

Phase4(optional): if the mod lasts to this point, then its land

hopeful missions: Star fox and star wolf battles, with several generational versions.

Also I am searching for team members, I mainly am after a freder, and convertor, I will learn if I have to, but I would prefer to have team members with that skill area for more speed and efficency, if someone wants to contribute in other ways say so  or send me a message

also I am open to ideas, wheter its to the mod, or mod name, hope to have some new basic fighter pics up soon
and of ship meshes currently finished(but still need textures are): arwing interceptor, defender, and advanced; not completed, but WIP: mothership, conerian fighter(SF2)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 01:02:27 pm by mandobardanjusik »

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Re: a new starfox mod(still needs a name)
Will it feature your HTL Sekhmet?

R

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
no, the sekhmet is for the upgrade project, but its been giving me issues, and the shape is a pain, I am still working on it, but its not an easy thing to make

and currently there is no plans for visible pilots, even in arwings
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 12:47:03 pm by mandobardanjusik »

total spitballing of an idea but how about a play on the fact that acronym for star fox (SF) is free space backwards (FS)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Could you try getting SOL to release terrain models they made? They would certainly come in handy for everyone.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

R

Did you actually think he might use a sekhmet in a starfox mod? Or were you just trying to gauge progress on an HTL you are interested in since he hasn't posted in his FSU thread in a while?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft

R

Did you actually think he might use a sekhmet in a starfox mod? Or were you just trying to gauge progress on an HTL you are interested in since he hasn't posted in his FSU thread in a while?

FREESPACE MEETS STARFOX: SLIPPY'S SUBSPACE ADVENTURE
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
I think I might be able to get some SOL models when I reach full mod status, as for the most part, all I am hoping for from them is some of the larger ships, and maybe an arwing or two, as I am fine with most fighters

also, I was thinking STARFOX: the untold chapter(STARFOX BATTLE) as, multiplayer is as big a part as singlle missions in the first release, as is any one player missions, though they will hopefully remain equal

also, as an added bonus, I am planning to do a complete subset that is completely made up of SF1+2 SNES style craft, simple polygons, bright colors and a classic feel, they will ahve seperate missions, and perhaps some classic style maps as well, though for fun you may try classic vs new in multiplayer, as they will have similar but different balancing tables, and the modern vs classic defender will be different in look and stats, but more on that later

and currently NO ANDROSS.... though I could try classic, make his mouth a door, and his rectangles and debri swarm fighters
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 07:54:10 pm by mandobardanjusik »

come to think of it using the word starfox in the title is a bad idea its basicly a guaranteed C&D letter cause of consumer confusion or some crap like that

so how about this "DO A BARREL ROLL!"

also you know how in sf1 you have that level where the commander say the fox's father disapeared in a wormhole or something and then the same thing can happen to you? how about the story explores that a little. the plot could be that corrneria has just successfuly tested a safe way to enter and exit the wormholes in sectorX but the test craft when it reached the other side picked up distress signals from ships that had been lost in the past so corneria sends the starfox team to rescue the stranded ships and as the plot progresses it becomes aparent that not all of the ships are from the same universe as the starfox team and that this is acctually an inter-dimensional crossroads.

this would also open up the posiblities of seeing sf1 style ships next to sf:assault style ships and it won't look wierd

feel free to critisize my grammar and spelling

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
hmmm, I have an idea on tangent to that, what if he goes through the black hole and finds himself in the alternate timeline of the post SF64 time period, and is forced to band with himself and others to help save the james of both dimensions

hmm breaking through to a parallel dimension instead of just getting lost in hyperspace could open a pandora's box with every thing else that was lost in hyper space pouring through with fox

"do a barrel roll" would be in reference to how you have to make a big high speed barrel roll to enter hyperspace

also playing the whole "non-canon alternate universe" card will add another layer of "this is a fangame" protection

giving the star fox team a controlled in and out of hyperspace capability would make beginning and ending missions easier. just hit alt-j to jump out

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 09:23:38 pm by mormon_boy »

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
well, as long as its not for profit I should be fine, also that would only be the classic campaign, not the 64 one, which takes place after SF64.

also, if dabrain returns I would hope to join the SOL team, but who knows if or will that will happen, but a guy can hope

always best to play it safe a lot of companies will just file a bogus claim because most fan games don't have the resources to fight back

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
SOL already explored this whole stuff, its not that dangerous, as this is entirely different nic from normal

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Name shouldn't be too important yet. Even if you decide on one, you might change it a week later. I recommend that you focus on assets if you plan on doing simple multiplayer skirmishes first. Once released, fans might start making short campaigns to follow up on. If Axem eventually gets hold of the SoL models, there may be even less work needed to be done. Whatever happens, good luck!

EDIT: Don't worry about atmospheric missions at all until it has shown to work. For now, you might want to wait for BP2 R2 to be released if you ever get to that part.

Hey Mando, count me in. I can FRED, and do some light tabling. If you can figure out what you'll need, I can FRED it for you.

lurkers of the SoL forum unite!

I would have offered to help to but i lack any useful modding skill besides 10 fingers that are not broken

EDIT: how about "Phoenixes of Lylat" for the name?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 01:46:08 am by mormon_boy »

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
thanks scourge, I will take you up on that, I am on a roadtrip but hopefully something new soon

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Star Fox: The Phantom System

Star Fox: The Veil of Darkness

Star Fox and the Golden Sphere

FreeSpace StarFox (FSSF)

Really need some more details of the plot direction if there is to be an underlying story, before we can make a stab at a decent name.

Coming from someone that's been trying for a long time already...  get your assets and structure/organization in place first. Then worry about the rest.

I'll just leave this here:  http://youtu.be/4XAJEDJJ_Bo   though I wouldn't be surprised if half of you saw it already.
Might check with the guys that made it, see if they might be interested in helping you any.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 11:30:42 pm by JGZinv »
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Shadows of Shadows (of Lylat)