Author Topic: Co-op?  (Read 11901 times)

Offline NedStar

Hey there,

Sorry if I'm asking something obvious but I quickly glanced around and I couldn't find a definite answer. Seeing as I'm new to freespace I have no clue about most of it.
So I've tried the multiplayer and this all works fine but I wanted to play some co-op instead of DM.

I've noticed there are no available campaigns for selection in the mp tab. Am I doing something wrong or is the campaign portion simply not possible to play in co-op as of yet?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
No official co-op missions have been released so far.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
But I'm sure they'll start popping up soon. I personally prefer co-op to the other modes so if nothing appears in the next week or so, I'll probably make something myself. (This doesn't mean all the FREDders should stop, just so I make one. :p I'll probably make something anyway).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

The game supports coop mode, but currently there aren't any missions in this release. 

Offline Cerebus

maybe someone wants to mod this release to be co-op?   :yes: ;7

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It is possible, but I doubt it would be easy. Making the mod coop would require a large amount of rebalancing because the missions are balanced for one player. So a lot more AI fighters would be needed.

There are also issues caused by the change to multiplayer. For instance I could duplicate the tube launch events for every player and then sit back and laugh/cry when I decided to test the mission publicly and the host shot out of the tube while all the other players sat exactly where they started because the key-pressed SEXP only works on the server, and not on the clients. :D  Basically my point is that there are a lot of issues that only show up in multiplayer.

That said, I'm tempted to give it a try.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 10:34:08 pm by karajorma »

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Start us in the hangar, with raptors, on a strike/recon/whatever mission, problem solved! :p

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
That's just one example. There are more issues.

Offline Cerebus

it would be ok if it had to altered and even nerfed a bit (tube launches) to work for co-op, it's a good campaign and I have to believe it would be quicker to mod it to work than build one from scratch, and I'm dying to get some more people into this game, and co-op is the best way to do that. 

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'm already looking at converting M2.

Offline Aether

Some Co-op missions have already been released by some players skilled enough at FRED. Keep an eye out and you should be able to find one eventually ;)
So say we all!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

Offline Cerebus

as you play matches with people that have them, you download them, then you have

they'll spread like a disease

played one co-op last night that was ok for an early release, but the baystar would flip out and smack you out  of the sky on occasion because it's raiders got stuck 

Offline CooperHawkes

• NippleNeck (at least i got something to play with)
yes, we know they get downloaded when you join a game thats running them.
but some guys may not be so lucky to accidentely stumble across a game that hosts those missions and still want to have a look at them, or host them themselves.

it would be nice if we could start to collect most of this missions here.

also: most of us are always willing to help new fredders. have a look at their missions, point out mistakes or explain stuff.
take me out to the black,
tell 'em i ain't coming back,
i don't care, i'm still free,
you can't take the sky from me

Offline Cerebus

The Mission:  Intelligence gathered from hundreds of captured biologically made cylons, we've been calling them skinjobs, has indicated that the cylons had intended a coup de gras with the CMP shut down virus, and did not have the resources to complete their plans of holocaust against our people while facing our defense.  While many of our resources are currently allocated to saving the lives of our citizens and preparing for counter offensive, these skinjobs have given us some other poignant intelligence, they've indicated a sensitive spot for the enemy. The Battlestar Cerberus has been sent on special assignment to locate a Basestar containing original copies of many of the Cylon biological models.  Our scientists have also provided us with an experimental "resurection jammer" so just maybe we can send these frakers strait to hades..  Once located our orders are clear, destroy that baseship and it's VIP targets, and inflict as much damage as possible while in enemy territory.  To this end, the Cerberus has been equipt with a full compliment of N3 Kratos High Yield Nuclear Warheads.  Once this VIP vessel is destroyed, return to Canceron for biovac ops.

Almost forgot to mention, we've put together a frigate group , call sign: Spectrum, to be within range for backup if required.  They'll be providing long range picketing in your area of operations but will keep an FTL fix during your mission.     

your mission is to command the Battlestar's wings as  in the strike, knock out the target Basestar's FTL to prevent it's escape, and protect the nuclear mission package from raider interception.  Also keep an eye out for targets of opportunity, while the target Baseship is our primary objective we will not pass up an opportunity for payback.  After what we've been through I dont think it matters to anyone, but this mission has been designated 1A, volunteer only.  We will return to our worlds victorious or not at all. 

if you want to follow this mission as it develops the original thread is here..
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=82224.0

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
as you play matches with people that have them, you download them, then you have

Unfortunately so will older broken copies of the same mission.  Keep this in mind when making and testing missions.  You should name the missions in a way that old versions are easily recognized from the final released version.  A uniform naming scheme should be put in place for all missions and a submission system createdlike :v: had back in the PXO days.  If not done soon this disease could become an epidemic. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Cerebus

Unfortunately so will older broken copies of the same mission.  Keep this in mind when making and testing missions.  You should name the missions in a way that old versions are easily recognized from the final released version.  A uniform naming scheme should be put in place for all missions and a submission system createdlike :v: had back in the PXO days.  If not done soon this disease could become an epidemic.

good point, I'll start implementing this myself

I've had to delete a few missions already because of this.  Especially when you've got 2 or more people working on missions and making tweaks/edits. 

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I wonder how easy it would be to get the xfer system to check and allow the server to back out if someone has a newer version of the mission.

I'm partway into my big multi code review so I'll keep an eye out while I do that.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
What about setting up a Diaspora multi SVN much like BP multi had ? Best way to keep every missions and stuff up-to-date.

Or even Diaspora 3rd party missions. Could be useful to have a constantly-updated and easy-to-set-up database of fan-made missions.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras