Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 306902 times)

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
Thanks, I'll check those out, do you know any more that are like School Rumble?

Try Azumanga Daioh if you haven't already. It's hilarious, though it focuses on the girls and doesn't really bother with mentioning many boys, and therefore doesn't go to romance much, it's excellent.

Yeah, I've watched Azumanga, I have the manga, its hilarious. Watched the first episode of Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, seems interesting.

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Not that I've watched one, but just from reading about them, I don't think I could ever take any Key-derived series seriously.  They seem to ply their trade in crazy scenarios specifically designed for emotional manipulation, as opposed to more organic character development.  Like, think of me what you will, but I just chuckled at that video clip. :p

If I'd just watched that clip on its own before watching the series, I'd most likely share your thoughts. But I watched it, and I found it genuinely sad (it actually caused a...few man-tears) at that point. Others? Not so much, save one or two other scenes.

And yeah, they do use emotional manipulation rather liberally in Angel Beats, as the world it's set in creates a depressing current from the start and they proceed to rub it in throughout. But damn, they are effective at making people feel sad.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Started JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Verdict is awesome, and wary the mask.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Finished Index season 1. Going to start Railgun now (I know a lot of it is filler, but dammit, it has Misaka in it!). Definitely buying Index's dub when it hits shelves in a couple of months (and, Funi, you'd better release a Railgun dub, too!).

I'll watch Index S2 later (more Accelerator!), and apparently they're coming out with a movie and a second Railgun season in Japan pretty soon. Things are looking good for the anime, I'd say.

I glanced briefly at the light novel versions of some of the scenes I'd seen. I think I'll read those when I have time. They do a much better job of explaining the background details (I didn't really see the implications of Aleister's shenanigans in the last couple of episodes, or the "Sisters" network, until I read the novel version).
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
Omamori Himari

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I actually have a friend who's trying to find some anime for me to try (in particular finding some legal links because that's how I roll). His first recommendation was Ghost In The Shell, but unfortunately the YouTube channel it was on disallowed viewing from Australia (they did that to Tengan Toppa Gurren Lagaan as well, which sucks since I wanted to try that afterwards). I do know that I will try to watch them both sometime, as well as Azumanga Daioh. :)

I bought and watched the first series of the original Transformers, too. Yeah it's a kids cartoon but so what? :p

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Try www.animefreak.tv. As far as I can tell, it's legal and has a large range of anime.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

The Force shall free me.

Offline LHN91

Try www.animefreak.tv. As far as I can tell, it's legal and has a large range of anime.

Animefreak works, just be prepared for it to be rather low quality and to be using whatever fansub group's subs came out first. Sometimes the subs are laughably bad. Then again, until fairly recently animefreak was where I got most of my anime.

Living in the boondocks and having to drive into town and park outside family members houses to grab their internet to watch anime on a laptop running off a power inverter is kinda not fun.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Living in the boondocks and having to drive into town and park outside family members houses to grab their internet to watch anime on a laptop running off a power inverter is kinda not fun.
That's what I call dedication. :lol:

Offline LHN91

That's what I call dedication. :lol:

It was either that or try to scrape the .flvs off the site over 24.0 kbps dialup at home. I also used to sit on the third floor of my highschool in the back of the music room, someone across the street had unsecured wifi, and I would .flv scrape from there. For a bit, there was a coffee shop with WiFi in town, but that closed down. Used to grab a coffee and donut and download 2 episodes at a time over a half hour or so, go home and watch them over the next night or two.

Edit: After I hit university and had access to decent internet, things changed obviously. Just got thinking and realized that it's been just over 3 years since I hit university. Holy crap it really doesn't seem that long.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 11:54:40 pm by LHN91 »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
As far as I can tell, it's legal and has a large range of anime.
Yeah that's not legal in the least. :p

As far as I can tell, it's legal and has a large range of anime.

Nnnnnope.

The legal streaming sites that host anime that I know of are:
Official Youtube Channels, Crunchyroll, Funimation, and occasionally Hulu.

...and yes, I know that's not helpful since I don't think any of them stream outside the US.  :blah:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 12:52:30 am by Dark Hunter »
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Crunchyroll does, depending on where you live, but I think certain series are more region-restricted than others.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm not actually adverse averse to buying DVDs of the anime I want to watch (thankfully, DVD players in Australia are required by law to play DVDs from any region), but my intention was to get a taste of some anime other than the stuff I watched as a kid (Pokémon, Transformers RID, etc) first to make sure that I'd actually enjoy it.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:33:59 am by ssmit132 »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Buying anime DVD's is grossly expensive, at least here. I would recommend Crunchyroll instead if you want to do it the legal way. Unfortunately Crunchyroll is bitten my region based licensing like DVD's are. So you pay as much as those in the US do, but get less to watch. Unless you're from US obviously.

I still subscribe to Crunchyroll and pay my due, even though in reality I watch most from animefreak.tv. They get their subs usually earlier than Crunchyroll and I don't mind worse video quallity.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Buying anime DVD's is grossly expensive, at least here.
Not really "grossly," I'd say, but not exactly cheap earlier.  Hell, at least we're not Japan.

*looks around room at overflowing DVDs, and then at sad bank account*

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Was recommended by one of my friends to watch Dirty Pair, after I told him that I like Dominion Tank Police. Someone care to shed some light on it for me, as a quick clip search on youtube leaves me thinking of Cowboy Bebop meets Vandread.

The Force shall free me.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Was recommended by one of my friends to watch Dirty Pair, after I told him that I like Dominion Tank Police. Someone care to shed some light on it for me, as a quick clip search on youtube leaves me thinking of Cowboy Bebop meets Vandread.

Dirty Pair is about the above-named Dirty Pair, Kei and Yuri. If you call our ambigously teenaged female protagonists that to their faces, they'll shoot you; they prefer being the "Lovely Angels". They work for Ye Olde Galatic Government as something akin to Mass Effect's Specters, only without the subtlety. Their job is to go places and shoot things.

They're very good at their jobs with a nearly 100% success rate. Unfortunately, they're also very good at collateral damage, and have a reputation for causing everything they touch to explode. ("It's not our fault!" is something of a catchphrase; some of the novels and the US comic treat them as a sort of Final Option prior to orbital bombardment.)

Your friend is probably correct.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Sounds fun. Next task; find a place that I can buy the complete series for cheap.

The Force shall free me.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Except that original series is from 1985, next OVA is from 1987 and then another OVA from 1994. Last but not least, there is also a movie from 1987. You sure what you're looking for? :p