Author Topic: The Pit & SOTS2  (Read 6704 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
what a way to miss the point TrashMan, my comparisons were made due to statements that SotS is unique, I was merely pointing out that actually the franchise does very little that is genuinely new.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Man, SoTS 2 is such a **** game its not even funny
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Your <insert your fravorite game here> is a piece of trash only morons could love.  :p

I know a few of you here just loooove to try and bait me on every occasion.
Won't work.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
That's the spirit Trashman.

I'd appreciate it if everyone keep this discussion civil, as i'd hate it, if i had to lock this thread on my first day as Mod.
Keep discussing.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'd appreciate it if everyone keep this discussion civil, as i'd hate it, if i had to lock this thread on my first day as Mod.
Keep discussing.
Nothing to discuss. This will end up the same as every other Sots thread in existence ever (and probably all were created by trashman). Might as well lock it now to be ahead of the curve!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Well somebody here is a pessimist...

But then again, I wouldn't be surprised you call for thread closure simply because it's a SOTS2 thread. :P

We could at least try and salvage something before TrashMan starts telling us we're horrible people for thinking SotS2 is flawed (which it is). :lol:
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Mikes

We could at least try and salvage something before TrashMan starts telling us we're horrible people for thinking SotS2 is flawed (which it is). :lol:

You are horrible people for thinking Sots2 is flawed. It is, but you are still horrible people! :)

There.... now the thread can run its course... lol.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
The sad thing that's become apparent about SotS2 is that it's built on some fundamentally un-fun design decisions. It'll never be as good as SotS1 even with every bug fixed.

You oppinion.
The mission system makes more sense (and far better simulates how real fleets work) than the standard system used in SOTS1.
Of course, it's not a system gamers are used to so it's feels strange and wrong.
Untill you play with it and get used to it.
Good job with that strawman. General said he didn't like some design decisions somewhere but he never specified which ones. gg no re

Speaking of which, I see some people are still very much butthurt (for whatever reason) over the release fiasco.

In the climate when companies go under and games remain unpatched, Kerbros sticking with it and not only patching, but upgrading the game for over a year (and will continue to do so) is pretty much unprecedented. Their games are inovative, fun and they are supported for years to come.

Finally, everyone makes mistakes and can frak up. It's how we deal with those mistakes that is important.
Many companies would simply fold, but Kerberos offered money back, free SOTS1 and patched the game as they promised. They keep their word and they keep supporting their games, which is more than I can say for almost any other developer out there.
Okay, let's look at the facts (very condensed):

SOTS2 releases as a nearly unplayable and incomplete buggy mess.
It takes them over a whole year to actually get it into a playable state.

That's not just a mistake. That was an absolute SNAFU that should have seen them shut down due to their incompetence.

The only reason you're not still mad about it is because you're a fanboy who would froth at the mouth if Kerberos send you a sandwich made out of fecal material through the mail.

Battles between ship in SOTS are closer to World of Tanks than anything else.
There are no dice rolls. Waht you see is what is happening. Shots can bounce. Shots can pirce. Shots can impart kinetic energy onto a target, etc...
World of Tanks has dice rolls, actually. It rolls to determine how much damage your weapon will do (Within 25% of its average), penetration, accuracy, etc.

SOTS ship design looks far more credible and has even more impact.
Lol no it doesn't. The first game's ships all look cartoony and plasticy.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 03:15:59 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Okay, putting my general dislike of TrashMan aside (because I have to now):  I see a whole bunch of people ****ting on TrashMan for liking a game.  Get over it.  It is not your job to tell him why he should hate a game that he likes.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Good job with that strawman. General said he didn't like some design decisions somewhere but he never specified which ones. gg no re

Given it's the only radical and contested change, I assumed that is what was reffered to, since nothing else was specified.
My bad.

No, it was actually playable after a few months.
The last few monts were optimizations, minor bug fixes and adding in some cut features.

That's not just a mistake. That was an absolute SNAFU that should have seen them shut down due to their incompetence.

I disagree.
You judge too harshly and you would fail at your own standards.
The game is patched, the game is better than it would have been (added features). No harm done. Everyone wins.

Except of course the haters...

The only reason you're not still mad about it is because you're a fanboy who would froth at the mouth if Kerberos send you a sandwich made out of fecal material through the mail.

Your very vocabulary betrays the deep levels of butthurt.
No, I wouldn't forth at the mount. I don't get call for peoples heads so easily as you.

Battles between ship in SOTS are closer to World of Tanks than anything else.
There are no dice rolls. Waht you see is what is happening. Shots can bounce. Shots can pirce. Shots can impart kinetic energy onto a target, etc...

World of Tanks has dice rolls, actually. It rolls to determine how much damage your weapon will do (Within 25% of its average), penetration, accuracy, etc.

I said "closer to" not identical.
Sicne I was obviously reffering to the armor and deflection and actualy collision detection on actual surfaces for hits/mises and nor to-hit rolls.

SOTS ship design looks far more credible and has even more impact.

Lol no it doesn't. The first game's ships all look cartoony and plasticy.

SHIP design.
As in - ships actually look like you'd expect them to. Modular. Blocky. Spartan. Primitive (given the early staged of space expansion).
Mixing and matching sections and weapons actually has a lot of impact.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

No, it was actually playable after a few months.
The last few monts were optimizations, minor bug fixes and adding in some cut features.

I disagree.
You judge too harshly and you would fail at your own standards.
The game is patched, the game is better than it would have been (added features). No harm done. Everyone wins.

Except of course the haters...

errrr...... no

if this was EA, Activision, Blizzard or any of the other AAA publishing houses releasing a game in the state of SOTS 2 there would be cries for blood and you Trashman would be one, and rightly so, because releasing a game so bug ridden as to be unplayable is ridiculous and in countries like the UK borderline Illegal as the game is not Fit For Purpose, (that is the legal phrasing).  bug fixing after the fact is no remedy or get out for this because when buying a product it is reasonable to expect the game to be playable and feature complete, the fact that even you admit it took *months* compounds the issue
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Don't presume to tell me what I would and would not do.
You do not know me.

You see a bugged game as a crime and you want to see people loose jobs over it.
And THAT would be a crime because the poeple at Kerberos make good, innovative games and it is clearly a labor of love. One can see it.

You are so stuck in the past that you cannot see past it. Too bad.

I got my moneys worth and am enjoing the game.
You can go sulk in the corner and hate for all you want. But we both know who got the better deal here ;)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You do not know me.

You do realize that after years of interacting with you, we can actually predict your actions to a good extent, right?

We do know you. We can say how you'll act. It's been done in this very thread successfully.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Don't presume to tell me what I would and would not do.
You do not know me.

You see a bugged game as a crime and you want to see people loose jobs over it.
And THAT would be a crime because the poeple at Kerberos make good, innovative games and it is clearly a labor of love. One can see it.

You are so stuck in the past that you cannot see past it. Too bad.

I got my moneys worth and am enjoing the game.
You can go sulk in the corner and hate for all you want. But we both know who got the better deal here ;)

I am sooooooo sorry but if the game is so damn crucial to the companies imminent survival then why the hell was it not beta tested properly before release

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

Offline Mikes

Popcorn?

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
You do realize that after years of interacting with you, we can actually predict your actions to a good extent, right?
We do know you. We can say how you'll act. It's been done in this very thread successfully.

I can preduct the actions of most humans ( including those I don't know) to a good extent. It isn't rocket science.

But you THINK you know me, that much is true.

Oh, b.t.w. headdie, since Kerberos made a full refund to everyone, I don't think you have much to go on.
Exactly what did you loose here?
Nothing.
Either your money was returned or you got the game (and the extras).

And speaking of which - the thread is about THE PIT.
SOTS2 is side news. Let's not make it the only thing here.

The Pit doesn't look that bad.  The art style looks a lot like FTL's and the combat looks like those old Star Wars/Indiana Jones Adventures games I had a shareware of.  I'd rather see XCOM: Sol Force Edition but this looks playable, assuming it doesn't release like SotS2.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems