Author Topic: Looking for tips for Delanda Est  (Read 3246 times)

Offline Xylus

Looking for tips for Delanda Est
I'm having huge amount of trouble with the 2nd part of this mission where I will have to dis-arm the beams of 2 ships
The problem is that I cannot seem to find the right turrets, using "K", I will cycle through a lot of different turrets (and many blue anti-fighter beams) to find the right beam. Is there a key to target the green beams or some other ways to find my targets quicker? Thanks!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Looking for tips for Delanda Est
I'm having huge amount of trouble with the 2nd part of this mission where I will have to dis-arm the beams of 2 ships
The problem is that I cannot seem to find the right turrets, using "K", I will cycle through a lot of different turrets (and many blue anti-fighter beams) to find the right beam. Is there a key to target the green beams or some other ways to find my targets quicker? Thanks!

Our next patch includes a special script that (for the first time ever!) will allow you to do just this.

In the mean time, you may be having trouble because the Karuna model is bugged and blows the heck up! Please check out this fix: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=82080.0

Offline Xylus

Thanks, that seems to be the problem. I finally beat this level.

Offline -Norbert-

Untill this script is out, the best way to find the right turret is knowing where it is and targeting it with 'v'.
If you view the Deimos from the front you'll have "two parts" a T-shaped top and a bigger shield-like bottom. The frontal beams are in the upper left and right corners of the shield-like section.
On the side of the Deimos' back section you'll see two greenish grey armor plates and a light grey one between them. On that light grey plate you'll find two turrets, in the front the missile launcher and in the back the aft beam turret.

Note that this approach is hampered by WiH's astronomically accurate ambient lighting settings of "way too dark". Set your ambient factor in the launcher to 200 and you'll actually be able to make out detail on the corvettes.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
Oh, and in case you wanted pictures of where the turrets are according to Norbert:

And this may be covered, I honestly thought about having a variable track on the two corvettes (out of the four main turrets, what's left), or in the green part of the directives, say forward and rear-flank beams or something (unless the script is something as cool as place white targeting brackets on the four turrets).

[attachment deleted by a basterd]
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 03:07:06 pm by Black_Yoshi1230 »
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
(unless the script is something as cool as place white targeting brackets on the four turrets).
Yes, yes it is.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

It still baffles me how anyone thought it was OK to ask the player to identify and destroy 4 bumps on a hull covered in identical bumps, within a time limit. Seriously, I'm not trying to turn into Salty here but that part of the mission is so riddled with basic problems I can't believe it wasn't cut.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You are now officially full of derp. Congratulations !
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
By identifying the ones marked 'beam turret'

And then identifying which of the 8 turrets marked 'beam turret' are AAAs and which are TerSlashes. After cycling through the turret list as the clock ticks down. And then doing it again.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
And then identifying which of the 8 turrets marked 'beam turret' are AAAs and which are TerSlashes. After cycling through the turret list as the clock ticks down. And then doing it again.

The idea was that Pawns would serve as a training ground to teach players which beam turrets were the big guys.

One reminder that probably would've been helpful: 'v' targets the turret under your reticle, you don't need to do any cycling. And only 3/8 out of the beams (iirc) actually overload.

Right, but Deimoses have lots of turrets, and the beams are placed in really awkward positions. The front ones are tucked away in a corner, and the ones on the sides are just kind of sitting indistinctly in a flat bit of hull with at least two other identical turrets nearby. Disarming Shivan ships is a lot better that way, because their main beams tend to be on spikes or other protrusions that can be easily identified and targeted.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Yeah... the turrets... I think we need to come to a consensus as a community and remake the default burrets for the VPs actually, giving each size and type it's own distinctive dish shape.

Afff - Small - Medium - Big - Large - Slasher  and whatever else there is.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Right, but Deimoses have lots of turrets, and the beams are placed in really awkward positions. The front ones are tucked away in a corner, and the ones on the sides are just kind of sitting indistinctly in a flat bit of hull with at least two other identical turrets nearby. Disarming Shivan ships is a lot better that way, because their main beams tend to be on spikes or other protrusions that can be easily identified and targeted.

The idea was that Pawns would serve as a training ground so you'd know where the four big beam turrets were.

Yeah... the turrets... I think we need to come to a consensus as a community and remake the default burrets for the VPs actually, giving each size and type it's own distinctive dish shape.

Afff - Small - Medium - Big - Large - Slasher  and whatever else there is.

Definitely not going to happen, and a really bad idea. But we have already implemented a script that allows beam turrets to be placed on a targeting hotkey.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
it should be noted that using 'v' to target turrets often doesn't work well at range, particularly for those of us using joysticks.

that said, my frustration with this part of the mission was more about the task overload.  finding the turrets would have been do-able, if i weren't also having to simultaneously defend against bombers, stay alive, and try to pay attention to the book of dialogue scrolling by so fast that i couldn't read it all even if i did nothing else.  i was helped a little by knowing that there were beams on the front of the deimos, but that didn't help me with the sides, and IMO the mission shouldn't assume the player knows that. 

i'm really terrible with mission names, i don't know which one pawns was.  but nothing sticks out in my mind as "learning" the beam locations.  i knew the bit about green beam on front from retail.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah that part of the mission got a bit jammed up. In particular, something seems to have compressed the events around the Katana's arrival into one huge wad of text, directives, and cluster****ery.

Unfortunately the mission is now at the dev stage where any change feels more likely to break than unbreak something.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I kind of wish you'd leant towards balancing it to be too easy though. It's better that the climax of the story be somewhat self-playing than needing twenty playthroughs to complete.

It was leant towards balancing it to be too easy. That section of the mission is in on the hair edge of self-playing.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Might I suggest that, with the numerous (and catastrophic with respect to mission balance) changes to the most up to date FSO builds, it might be time to revisit Delenda Est and attempt to rebuild it from the ground up?  It's clear by now that whatever perfect balance the original had has gone out the window repeatedly.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Might I suggest that, with the numerous (and catastrophic with respect to mission balance) changes to the most up to date FSO builds, it might be time to revisit Delenda Est and attempt to rebuild it from the ground up?  It's clear by now that whatever perfect balance the original had has gone out the window repeatedly.

hahahardsgaskdjlfadsjfdsafashahahahahahaaaaakhshjlasdfjkasfdha hahahahah322140983214089-3214234123412341
ahhaehaerhaeh
ahahaha
*dies*