Author Topic: [Spoilers] Blood & Chrome - The Discussion Thread  (Read 75530 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
[Spoilers] Blood & Chrome - The Discussion Thread
Here's the thread for talking about B&C. Please don't post spoilers elsewhere as not everyone gets to see it the second it goes up.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 02:17:54 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
Re: [Spoilers]Blood & Chrome - The Discussion Thread
i think i'll love it... :)
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline newman

And here's a link to the second episode - next one will be available on the 16th.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Luis Dias

So it starts okay. Please don't disappoint.

I have a very good feeling about this so far :). Waiting for more.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
So far so humbug. This is the mediocre surface skimmings of BSG, populated by stock characters, stock action, and without a single interesting idea to discuss.

So far, at least!

Offline newman

Now I know what a flashbang grenade in your face feels like. Jeez, what's with all the lens flares? In interior shots, no less. I'm still seeing green ducks every time I close my eyes. I'll post a more coherent opinion on what I've seen so far when I stop feeling like my apartment just got stormed by SWAT.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It's probably something they do to conceal the all-CGI sets. Maybe it lets them render backgrounds at a lower res?

Offline newman

Nah, stuff like that would have been visible regardless. I'd speculate this is just an artistic choice. One I don't particularly care for, but meh. Seen the first two parts, it wasn't BSG mini level of brilliant, and it certainly didn't reinvent the wheel, but I feel like I haven't seen enough to decide if it'll go somewhere or not.

For the record, splitting it into 12 minute chunks on youtube is pretty ****ty treatment.

Offline Luis Dias

Yeah I was going to disagree with you GB, pointing out that it just might start slow or something, but then I recalled how BSG started in its first minute, with that crazy red woman mind****ing you on several ways.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, in the first twenty minutes of BSG we got 'Are you alive?' (a pretty heavy question!), that amazing tracking shot of Galactica's corridors, and a bunch of character relationships. Here we get a load of military aviation cliches.

Offline newman

Agreed so far. Once I got through the first 20 minutes of BSG mini I already knew I was loving this new amazing show.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Preface:  I used to joke we should make the ECO shooting sidearms from the open side door of the Raptor a Diaspora feature.  This was made purely in jest.

I haven't seen it yet, but when I saw the clip newman posted in the preview thread where Adama blew his canopy and preceded to shoot up a Raider with his sidearm it made me throw up a little in my mouth. The bile tasted suspiciously of Galactica 1980.  Unless I see some rave reviews of this thing, that somehow elevate it past a Saturday morning 1980s cartoon I'd rather not have my fond memories of BSG tarnished.

Are RDM and Eick even involved with this project?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline YIIMM

For the record, splitting it into 12 minute chunks on youtube is pretty ****ty treatment.

You can simply replace those asterisks with the sound of a wrench hitting the ground.

I didn't dislike it but it's relying too much on the audience being familiar with BSG and not setting up anything itself. Galactica is the show's namesake yet so far it seems like it could just be another ship and Adama's just another pilot, we haven't got any reason to care about them that doesn't stem from having watched the main series.

Offline Luis Dias

So in ep 3 Cylons kill Adama right there in the raptor, the co-pilot fourth walls us with a smug smile Problem?, rapes the engineer (because it's a family show come on), and goes on to become the real protagonist of the series.

EDIT: Wait the frak up. I know what they're doing. They are turning BSG into JJ's Star Trek. It's *all there*. The corny amazing new academy guy who gets trashed because he's an asshole, the simulation test whose score is out the roof because of an idiotic stunt, the girl who won't abide to his charms, the girl who does, the drunk friend, the lookin' out the window to see the legacy starship he has to "conquer", the ship hangar, the attribution of a ****ty ship to the corny protagonist, the getting into a pit of wrecked ambushed ships, the aforementioned glares...

Man, I'm really slow jesus christ.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:10:28 pm by Luis Dias »

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
When you run out of ideas before you run out of money, always double down on explosions and cheese.

I wasn't expecting any kind of deep meditation on the meaning of life from B&C. Everything about it, all the way back to the spiritual pilot in Razor, said it would much heavier on the action-adventure elements (while Caprica, for instance, went big in the opposite direction, with lots of character and philosophy, but very little action until the end). And even with the video game, handgun-versus-a-fighter opening (speaking of, shouldn't Adama have lost points for dying of radiation poisoning?), it's still not as over the top as Adama and a Centurion having a shootout and fistfight at 30,000 feet.

I wanted cheeseburger sci-fi, (but a good cheeseburger) and that's what I'm getting. A lot of the details are interesting. I like the old Raptors. Gotta wonder why the Galactica is not only so overgunned compared to what she ended up being, but compared to the other Battlestars in B&C, and what changed. Same question for the hangar bay. Maybe the Viper Mark IV was so awesome they decided they could close up the hangar bay a bit and do with only a quarter the original squadron size.

No such questions about the CIC though. That fits perfectly with the evolution we saw from the Galactica to the Pegasus/Valkyrie of smaller, more automated command systems. That's a lot of monitors and extras to be replaced by just Dee and Gaeta, but it fits.

Curious if the use of the holoband is going anywhere, or if it was something they were saving for the series. The prop looks dumbed down from the Caprica version, but we would've seen them around later if they'd been able to make them safe against the Cylons. That could be coming later in this movie, or a plotline saved for the potential series. In the mini, Adama really seemed to take it personally when he told Roslin that a lot of people died on Galactica because they wanted a faster computer to make life easier. It could be that Cylon computer infiltration hasn't yet become much of a thing.

Did we ever see Adama's back before? I know we would've remembered if he had a tattoo, even a little one. It's just as weird as I expected seeing the Caprica FBI agent as Commander of the Galactica, especially when he starts bringing up the Adamas' old mob ties.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 01:38:33 pm by David cgc »

Offline newman

I'n having a love/hate relationship with the new Raptor. I like it having a rear turret, feels right for the first war era. Ditto for it not being jump capable. What I dislike are the new engines and the B-24 tail; they look like they took them off another ship and welded them on.

Offline NoSpin

C'mon guys, some of you are being too harsh. It's new Battlestar with some decent effects and story. Just finished episode 2 and I'm already loving it. The acting isn't great (I like Adama's copilot), but you have to remember it is a glorified web series....

Overall I'm impressed AND slightly perplexed. This is a decent product of an established and well loved property, why the hell did Syfy avoid showing it as long as they did? Somebody over there needs to be fired.