Author Topic: A Hypothetical Dilemma Regarding Asset Ethics  (Read 10247 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
A Hypothetical Dilemma Regarding Asset Ethics
Okay, this scenario has been playing around in my head for some time. Then I figured it would be interesting to see what you people would do. I would like to assert that this is a fictional thought exercise. Any similarity to real/current events is purely coincidental.

Say you have a campaign nearing completion that has a specific mission designed around a certain asset. However, said asset happens to be a leaked, and supposedly super-secret, exclusive asset to an unreleased mod. You were not aware of circumstances the moment the mission was designed and built as you stumbled upon it. Re-designing the mission is out of the question at this point, it would take too much time and effort and re-writing of the plot and core gameplay design. From all you know, the mod is dead, or basically dead, just holding onto assets in case someone picks it back up. You have no idea who's the leader of it anymore, or if anyone even is, thus contacting them is pretty much impossible.

Thus, there are the following options:
1) Give no ****s and release anyway when it's ready (worry about the lawsuit later, if it ever comes)
2) Replace the model with a custom designed asset made to fit the requirements (delay the release by weeks to months reinventing the wheel, possibly with lesser quality)
3) Wait for the mod to release (delay the release by years possibly or even never)
4) ??? (any other ideas?)

What would you do?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: A Hypothetical Dilemma Regarding Asset Ethics
Contact the asset holder and figure out if you can get permission to use it.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I think ethically option 2 is the best of a bad set of choices.  Option 1 isn't ethical IMHO, and option 3 is probably doomed to waiting forever.  I don't know what other options there would be, maybe re-purpose a different existing asset, but that might take as long as option 2 anyway.  Try your hardest to contact the original author anyway?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
This is a really ****ty situation to be in, but in this case, I think you should reach out to
Spoiler:
Tantalus

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
This wasn't triggered by a certain leaked Shivan Destroyer fiasco, was it? :( I guess I personally would be extremely miffed I'd someone released one of my assetts without my permission, but if I'd departed the community forever without releasing something, I'd probably want it out there. It's a tough situation. Perhaps a public post enquiring about the status of the asset? Someone may know something that you don't.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah I know the stuff you don't since I have internal access

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
You know, I worded it that way to keep things contained, didn't want to drag it into the public light.
Thanks though. :)
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Sorry :(

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I think anyone who is paying the slightest attention to the wiki and IRC knows about it. Cat's out of the bag now.

Also, I have to point out that a mod that doesn't release its ships, is a mod that believes it needs ships to make its mod interesting, and hence is a sad mod indeeed.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Exile
That's what happening with mod, when the team is against the mod leader. It's still a big shame for me, that I can't regret. Too bad...

Anyway, most of the assets from this mod are released. Only music, cutscenes, and other special things aren't and I'm not sure if they will ever be. Nobody cares.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
That depends entirely on the active status of who made it (not the mod leader, the model-maker, this is important). If they're all-the-way-gone, I'd say damn the torpedoes and release, if they're still about, try and get permission and if permission isn't forthcoming make something yourself.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
Would this be related to something being leaked by any chance...judging by the people talking I'm guessing its also inferno related. But imho, I'd try to get permission to use it first, if not then I'll have to wait for the mod to be released or try to find (or make) a replacement asset.
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
it's not inferno related

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Personally I'd contact those involved with the mod and offer services of equal or great time value to those involved in making the mod I need.

That's basically a win-win solution when dealing with someone of your calibre. Either the mod is dead, in which case the mod gets used and you don't have to do anything, or the mod gets an injection of new life.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Well, since you said "ethics" instead of "typical code of conduct amongst modders", of course there's no problem with 1). As for what I'd actually do would likely depend on several factors.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
if you are talking about an asset that has not been created to be used in commercial software, the only damage you do when using it while not havin permission is damage to the creator's pride
so the question is: what do you value more? a persons pride, or to release a free piece of art for everyone (which basically every mod is)
personally, i think every piece of software that no legal owner earns money with should be free by definition
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
He's talking about an asset that was specifically made for a mod, and which release was purposefully delayed for long (years maybe ?), because the aforementioned mod team believe it is so important to the mod, that releasing it before releasing the mod would make for a less impressive mod release. Which is sad. Especially given that the mod in question has shown no sign to release anytime soon.

Droid is not trying to release it commercially or anything, he's just trying to see whether he should use that leaked asset or not.

Yay for long sentences.

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Kie99

1) **** the haters, release anyway YOLO.  Once it's available/"leaked" it's fair game.  You'll make more people happy (including yourself) by releasing a decent mod than you will by pandering to the whims of the makers of a mod that will probably never get released.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
1) **** the haters, release anyway YOLO.  Once it's available/"leaked" it's fair game.  You'll make more people happy (including yourself) by releasing a decent mod than you will by pandering to the whims of the makers of a mod that will probably never get released.
That can't be the attitude we take in a community built on volunteer effort. :( If we effectively remove those volunteers' right to decide how their work is , well, we might not be killing the golden goose, but we're certainly beating it with a pretty sizable stick. I know that if any of my curently unreleased assets were used against my wishes, I'd certainly have to reevaluate the effort I put into them, especially if it was done with community support behind the leaker. It's important that we always remember that there are people behind these models, and while you might not agree with the creators' decisions regarding exclusivity, they have to remain their decisions.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I agree with BW. Even if I believe everything and their kitchen sink should be free to use as soon as it is in a releasable state, I think it is more important that the asset creator has the last word about how his creations are used.