Author Topic: Almost enough to make me play EvE  (Read 3170 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: Almost enough to make me play EvE
indeed the number of ships alone would cripple FSO even without taking coded limits into account.

and also can anyone say beam spam?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
I heard that this battle took so much power to process, that it temporarily crashed Dust 514's servers even with maximum "time dilation" (news to me, I never heard such a feature mentioned while I played). Here is a place where the term "epic" was truly meant to be used.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I heard that this battle took so much power to process, that it temporarily crashed Dust 514's servers even with maximum "time dilation" (news to me, I never heard such a feature mentioned while I played). Here is a place where the term "epic" was truly meant to be used.

Indeed, the whole fight went down with time dilation cranked up to maximum so that pilots would still be able to operate their ships without crippling lag. Part of the reason the fight was so big is that the time dilation enveloped the fight and several nearby systems - giving ships from distant systems plenty of time to join in, since they were effectively in a faster timestream. And even with TiDi, the lag was intense.

When a big fleet fight is expected in EVE, the server node that handles the area of space where the fight's going to go down is normally reinforced with extra processing capacity. But this fight was spontaneous and unexpected and the node wasn't even reinforced. It's super impressive that it held up - a few years ago this fight would simply have been impossible.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
There's just a big ball of metal with ****loads of beams and stuff in it. OP bash in BGO used to be quite impressive to be honest, because there players had to actually organise into big fleets and keep closely to the rest. With proper music, pure epicness, despite BGO flaws.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I love how there's this massive discussion about what's unreasonable in a scenario that doesn't even exist in our reality

Explosions are cool. We hear them in space because it's a game, and without sound effects, the immersion of you being in a grand battle is lost as we're so used to hearing things explode around us when we're in a grand battle in any other game

Or consequently, swords clashing, era depending

Now back to how crazy this battle is. Technically impressive, but that video did terribly to deliver (to me anyhow) the awesome level of the battle. I saw a whole bunch of ships, some lasers, but generally just solid beams. No crazy dogfights, ships flying around killing eachother... just everyone shooting as this massive ship in relatively fixed positions
...or getting shot by, not entirely sure. Fixed beams are hard to tell where they're coming from when you didn't see them shoot originally
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 07:44:16 pm by deathfun »
"No"

Offline Lorric

I love how there's this massive discussion about what's unreasonable in a scenario that doesn't even exist in our reality

Explosions are cool. We hear them in space because it's a game, and without sound effects, the immersion of you being in a grand battle is lost as we're so used to hearing things explode around us when we're in a grand battle in any other game

Or consequently, swords clashing, era depending

Now back to how crazy this battle is. Technically impressive, but that video did terribly to deliver (to me anyhow) the awesome level of the battle. I saw a whole bunch of ships, some lasers, but generally just solid beams. No crazy dogfights, ships flying around killing eachother... just everyone shooting as this massive ship in relatively fixed positions
...or getting shot by, not entirely sure. Fixed beams are hard to tell where they're coming from when you didn't see them shoot originally

I have looked into this game before, and to me, it just ends up looking like any typical mmo. But instead of just standing there trading blows or magic, it's ships sitting there trading fire.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
All the silly noises in space (You fools, there are no noises in Space!) about silly noises in space have now been spaced. Noisily.

By which I mean split out and locked.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns