Author Topic: Deadspace 3, Whats your opinion?  (Read 1924 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Deadspace 3, Whats your opinion?
Ok so what are peoples opinions of Deadspace 3? i have played and finished it and while its a fun game, its not Deadspace. The game has seemed to have forgotten its horror roots and become a sci fi action shooter. While Deadspace 1 and 2 where brown trouser time, 3 seems to be all gun ho. While i enjoyed the crafting, i didn't like the loss of the ammo types which actually made you plan your inventory in the other games.  Also the storyline is pretty weak at points, and for some reason i couldn't attach myself to Isaac, like i could in the other games.

The AI suffers as well for human enemies, i think that it could of done with a bit more polish.

The worst part of the game for me though was the ending. One of the worst endings i have seen, worse than a certain other game done by bioware.

on the plus side i really enjoyed the soundtrack to it. I also did enjoy the optional missions but it just seemed like you average shooter to me :(.

So i give it a 6 out of 10

I actually find myself agreeing with the reviews of the likes of CVG, Playstation etc. Who all say pretty much the same as me. But what do you think, do you agree with me, or do you like it?
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline newman

Re: Deadspace 3, Whats your opinion?
While I enjoyed Dead Space 1 & 2, the series falls into the "wait for them to become dirt cheap on Steam" category for me, so I won't be forming my own opinion for a few months :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Mikes

noooo Starburg nooo! Take those evil words back!

Deadspace was the epitome of brown trousers time!... without that, what s left?

Did EA just kill another series?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
While Deadspace 1 and 2 where brown trouser time, 3 seems to be all gun ho.

Well, y'know, after the last couple of games I think getting a little calmer and more aggressive about the whole thing is probably to be expected on both the player's and the character's sides.

I actually loved the release trailer, but I'm in the same category as newman except I'm quite certain Origin doesn't drop their prices so I won't be getting this game.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mikes

While Deadspace 1 and 2 where brown trouser time, 3 seems to be all gun ho.

Well, y'know, after the last couple of games I think getting a little calmer and more aggressive about the whole thing is probably to be expected on both the player's and the character's sides.

I actually loved the release trailer, but I'm in the same category as newman except I'm quite certain Origin doesn't drop their prices so I won't be getting this game.

I actually picked up Deadspace 2 at a brick and mortar store for a bargain and the code could be added to Origin without issues. (Never used the disc.)

Even was the collectors edition and it came with a replica of the Plasma Cutter. :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 06:17:57 am by Mikes »

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Sorry Mikes i cannot take those words back, as there is very little horror in it and it lacks in a lot of places. Im my honest Opinion yes EA has killed the series, heres a quote from eurogamers review

" It's certainly not a great game, except perhaps as a poster child for the kitchen-sink development mentality of a console generation in its twilight months."

thats not great, considering 1 and 2 were really good,

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Sorry Mikes i cannot take those words back, as there is very little horror in it and it lacks in a lot of places. Im my honest Opinion yes EA has killed the series, heres a quote from eurogamers review

Why are you blaming EA instead of Visceral games, you know, the people who MADE the game?

Offline newman

We'd need to know a lot more about the relationship of EA and Visceral, and how much does EA meddle in the development, before we can know who to blame. But since EA is the source of all evil, let's blame them :)

No matter what EA says, Origin does have price drops. Dead Space 1 is priced at 10€, Dead Space 2 at 20€, and 3 at 50€. So there's a definite pattern towards older = cheaper here. Plus right now when I open Origin it greets me with an ad for a 50% price drop for all Sims 3 titles until Feb 13. Ignoring the fact I'm really not interested in Sims, they obviously do drop their prices here and there, though probably not as frequently or as much as Steam. Still, in a year or two I'd be surprised if you couldn't pick up Dead Space 3 for like half of what it costs now.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 09:28:02 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Ok i have no proof that EA are to blame, but they are known for pushing developers to get games out as quick as possible, in which mistakes are bound to made. But yes blame must lay with Visceral, i think they were trying to push Deadspace in a new direction and believe it went wrong for them. Also there seem to have fluffed up with the characters, Isaac lacks character in this one and it seems they completely forgot about the ending, it actually makes Mass Effect 3's ending pretty good.

Offline newman

To be fair, Isaac never had much character shown to begin with. We're talking about a heavily armored masked man with a dead girlfriend that spends all of his time in the games finding ways to dismember space monsters. Not the sort of game that deals too much with the plot or character development - those things are present in trace amounts to provide the setting needed for the space horror shooter genre the games strive to be.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I still haven't finished the original Dead Space.  Can't get into it.  The "horror" is utterly predictable and done nowhere near as well as the game that it copies to death, System Shock 2.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Unified ammo and the weapon crafting system make the game ludicrously easy, especially if you use the Evangelizer carbine.  Slap a basic force gun underneath to repel anybody who gets to close, slap in +damage/+clip mods and you're golden.  The thing will kill just about anything in 3-5 shots, less if you're accurate.  Ended up with a 60 round magazine and 100+ magazines in storage.

That said, despite Isaac being capable of making a plasma gun from spare parts, he cannot make a better flashlight, let alone some shoulder mounter floodlights.

The 'ration seals' are just there to get you into the DLC store, and to check if you're an idiot.  Can only buy 2 packs.  One is 30, the other is 60.  The 30 seal one has exactly half as many resources as the 60.  You get 1 mark V component from the 30, and a 50% chance at 2.  You get 2 mark V from the 60, with a 50% chance at 3........which means if you ever buy the 60 point one, you have failed.

Of course, they don't actually tell you to go into the DLC store to spend those seals, so their trick to get you into the DLC store also fails badly.

Combat is fun, though it basically amounts to "Shoot things in front of you, then turn around and shoot the things that spawned behind you.  Every time."

The plot......well, as far as I can tell it was about what a bunch of idiots your team is.  I found one of them frozen to death.  The required action immediately after this?  To walk around the corner and turn on the heater.

Bit of flat out stupidity are all over the place.  Gas that burns organic material....which harms you, in your friggin' space suit.  Multiple emergency plans that make no sense whatsoever.  Death by stupidity, over and over and over again.

That said, I did still manage to enjoy it - but in a "Isaac Clarke, Spess-Mahrine!" kind of way.  There certainly wasn't anything scary - not even cheap scary.

Offline CooperHawkes

• NippleNeck (at least i got something to play with)
played halfway through DS3. quit. reinstalled DS1. played that one instead.
take me out to the black,
tell 'em i ain't coming back,
i don't care, i'm still free,
you can't take the sky from me

Offline Davros

For an Engineer Issac is a terrible judge of structural integrity. Nearly everything he stands on collapses