Author Topic: [RELEASE] Shadow Genesis: 2017 Edition  (Read 177676 times)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: The Shadow is coming... SHADOW GENESIS: RELEASE
Sorry for current load order. We have no option to upload everything with patches. We have tried, but uploading process failed everytime, so we were forced to release patches as individual mods requiring base 1.0 mod. We will pack everything again as a 1.2 - something like Director's Cur edition.

Wobble73: We never tested it with 3.7.1. Next release will be fully compatible with the newest builds and MediaVPs 2014, but I can't guarantee compatibility right now. The same for doubled messages, this is the first time when we have this problem. The last patch was tested on 3.7.0 and everything worked fine, so I recommend this build for now. Also make sure you have 1.1a patch from the first post, not the old 1.1.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline CT27

Most people are saying "Helping Hand" was the hardest mission, but didn't you all find "Burning Skies..." pretty hard too?

I would say, just for fun, here were my top five hardest missions in SG:

1-"Long Road Home"
2-"Helping Hand"
3-"Burning Skies"
4-The one near the end where your forces and a CL destroyer team up to assault a few Nightmare defenses to wear down Hiven's defenses
5-Again, I forgot the name of the mission, but the one where you and a destroyer group are waiting to ambush Nightmare forces at a jump point as they come in

funny at your listed nr 5... that mission was one of the easier ones for me, I remember that as I had installed a more or less useless weapons loadout (two of the HYPACS snipers and no dogfight missiles) but was too lazy to change and restart it ...so I more or less only snipered hardpoints that mission (and one or two odd bombers coming in my sights) and relaxed.

Everyone's different, with games and missions for me it's like watching a quiz show, I always know the hard late-game questions but I would never get there as some of the "easy" 1000€ questions just kill me, even WITH call-a-friend joker   ;-)

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Sorry for current load order. We have no option to upload everything with patches. We have tried, but uploading process failed everytime, so we were forced to release patches as individual mods requiring base 1.0 mod. We will pack everything again as a 1.2 - something like Director's Cur edition.

Wobble73: We never tested it with 3.7.1. Next release will be fully compatible with the newest builds and MediaVPs 2014, but I can't guarantee compatibility right now. The same for doubled messages, this is the first time when we have this problem. The last patch was tested on 3.7.0 and everything worked fine, so I recommend this build for now. Also make sure you have 1.1a patch from the first post, not the old 1.1.

Hi CT27, I tried 3.7.0 and 3.6.12 all with the same results. I am assuming that I have Patch 1.1a from the first post as I only downloaded this yesterday?
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Spoiler:
4 is the Harvest and it's pretty funny mission :D. We WANTED it to be typical BoE. Some joke from our side, but we realised it's not a good joke. This one will be rewritten at some point, the same as Helping Hand and Burning Skies of Aeon XII - I must say, bad examples of our overambition. 5 is the Enemy at the Gates - blockade.

Wobble73: Well... If you have this, I have no idea. Could you copypaste error message You have?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
Here is the error message I receive

Code: [Select]
Could not load in 2_CommandBrief-mb!
ntdll.dll! KiFastSystemCallRet
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_0.exe! <no symbol>
fs2_open_3_7_0.exe! <no symbol>

and here is the error message from the debug build

Duplicate sound name "216" found!
ntdll.dll! KiFastSystemCallRet
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_0-DEBUG.exe! SCP_DumpStack + 354 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_0-DEBUG.exe! Warning + 416 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_0-DEBUG.exe! gamesnd_parse_entry + 170 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_0-DEBUG.exe! gamesnd_parse_line + 133 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_0-DEBUG.exe! parse_sound_table + 232 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_0-DEBUG.exe! parse_modular_table + 267 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_0-DEBUG.exe! gamesnd_parse_soundstbl + 101 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_0-DEBUG.exe! game_init + 1571 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_0-DEBUG.exe! game_main + 519 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_0-DEBUG.exe! WinMain + 330 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_0-DEBUG.exe! __tmainCRTStartup + 358 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_0-DEBUG.exe! WinMainCRTStartup + 15 bytes
kernel32.dll! BaseThreadInitThunk + 18 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 99 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 54 bytes

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
Sorry for the double post but does no one have any ideas? I know this laptop will probably not handle this mod and make it unplayable but I should at least be able to get into the first mission to test it?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That error almost always indicates MVPs aren't loading correctly.

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
I will have a go at editing the mod.ini's to see if that helps.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Major bug on the mission "Dragon's Entry". The Meleager isn't there. I get messages from it, but the ship itself is not present in the mission. Any ideas?
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
She is not arriving just after beginning of the mission. You have some time to disable enemy beam cannons/Mjolnirs and other stuff U want. Damaged Meleager will arrive soon after. In case if she is not arriving at all, and you were waiting enormous amount of time... Post debug log.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
She is not arriving just after beginning of the mission. You have some time to disable enemy beam cannons/Mjolnirs and other stuff U want. Damaged Meleager will arrive soon after. In case if she is not arriving at all, and you were waiting enormous amount of time... Post debug log.

... you're right. My fault for not understanding the messages. :P

Good campaign so far, the gameplay is fun and the story is intriguing.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Mission 11 seems broken. I beat off a couple waves of attackers, cover the warships as they engage the CL cruisers, and disable the Cerberus convoy. At that point nothing happens; my warships finish their waypoints and stop, and there are no enemies left but the disabled convoy ships and Selfridge Installation.

EDIT: I was able to complete the mission. The problem seems to be with the Cerberus convoy. I assumed the convoy would "surrender" after being disabled (based on the achievement and the fact that they turn grey on your radar) but it turns out that if you disable them, the mission gets stuck unless you shoot them down.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 06:36:43 pm by InsaneBaron »

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Mission 11 seems broken. I beat off a couple waves of attackers, cover the warships as they engage the CL cruisers, and disable to Cerberus convoy. At that point nothing happens; my warships finish their waypoints and stop, and there are no enemies left but the disabled convoy ships and Selfridge Installation.

EDIT: I was able to complete the mission. The problem seems to be with the Cerberus convoy. I assumed the convoy would "surrender" after being disabled (based on the achievement and the fact that they turn grey on your radar) but it turns out that if you disable them, the mission gets stuck unless you shoot them down.
Seems to be one of the things that we never tested enough much :P.
Thanks for Your feedback. We're preparing 1.2 patch, and things like this will be a blessing for us when we begin to rework some of the missions.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
I hate to complain about three missions in a row, but mission 12 seems unbeatable. If I shoot at the Cerberus infiltrators the negotiator detects me and I fail the mission; if I don't attack them they kill the hostages. Either I'm doing something wrong or there's a problem with the events.

That said, I'm glad this feedback is coming in handy. Up to this point I've been enjoying Shadow Genesis, and if the problems on missions 11 and 12 are the exception rather than the rule, it might make a good subject for my next review.

EDIT: I tried one more time and beat the mission. The mission DOES work, however if you fail the mission the wrong messages play, making it confusing to determine whether you failed the mission because you were detected or because a transport died.

Also, on the next mission (13) the Excalibur is available, but based on the techroom description I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be there this early.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 06:35:53 pm by InsaneBaron »

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
If it softens my earlier criticism, Mission 13 is so epic that I couldn't stop at one playthrough, even after beating it I hit replay just because I wanted to do it again. I love the Slayer PDC, it's like a shotgun version of FS1's Banshee (which I loved to combine with the Prometheus for massive damage).

The plot thickens!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 07:46:16 am by InsaneBaron »

The mod generated 80 warnings when I launched it using 3.7.0.  Just a heads up.

EDIT: Please disregard.  I had the mod.ini configured wrong.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 09:43:58 pm by Aurora Paradox »

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Going off what Aurora Paradox just said, there is a minor bug with the mod.ini. The way the 1.1a patch is configured, many of the new weapons lack sounds. If you open up the mod.ini and switch the secondarylist around so that the main Shadow Genesis release is in front of the MediaVPs, the problem is resolved.

Your mod.ini in the "Shadow Genesis 1.1" folder should look like this:
[launcher]
modname      = Shadow Genesis
image255x112 = ShadowGenesis11.bmp;
infotext     = It is the year 2390. Lieutenant Nathan Miles is reporting for duty in the Terran 6th Fleet, commonly know as the Wolf's Fleet. 6th fleet operates as a semi-autonomous defense force for strategic systems within the Wolf's Group, a heavily colonized sector, where multiple Ancient ruins have been discovered. Human- and Vasudankind are protected by their powerful navy, but despite the frontiers secure, unrest has begun to grow. A mysterious terrorist organization called Cerberus Legacy is rapidly spreading its influence within the GTVA, and their leaders are plotting a conspiracy that may lead the Wolf's Group to the brink of destruction...;
website      = none;
forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=83942.0;

[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondrylist = Shadow Genesis,mediavps_3612;

is there a way to enable TTS for this mod?  I'm using build Freespace Open build 3.7.0.  TTS is enabled in the launcher settings

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Going off what Aurora Paradox just said, there is a minor bug with the mod.ini. The way the 1.1a patch is configured, many of the new weapons lack sounds. If you open up the mod.ini and switch the secondarylist around so that the main Shadow Genesis release is in front of the MediaVPs, the problem is resolved.
It didn't wanted to work with that configuration for unknown reason. It just didn't read basic Shadow Genesis 1.0 folder. If it's working now, thats great. Thanks for the help.
is there a way to enable TTS for this mod?  I'm using build Freespace Open build 3.7.0.  TTS is enabled in the launcher settings
Err... :P What is TTS?