Author Topic: Headdie's Workshop  (Read 30625 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
nothing nasty about giving me a place to start on optimizing the model.

edit

ok so taken a look at the multiparts and shaved the total polly count down to 20976, still a little way to go but i figured 12,000 pollys would be a good start

p3d and downloads updated with the new version

edit2

Ok so had another stab at the poly count and now its down to 19,196 so in total I have shaved around 1/3rd off the poly count as reported by PCS2. with 3,796 for the hull and 15,400 for the subobjects.

Distribution files are now updated and i think this might be the last I do with this one.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 03:15:08 pm by headdie »
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Did You mapped the Vega using the Mirror? Most of the parts of the uv are doubled in your AO bake...
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
If I may offer an opinion, I feel that if this is a Vasudan ship, your use of parallel plating on the central upper(?)surface feels wrong to me.  I would suggest more of a series of aft-pointed V plates, starting off as obtuse angles at the broader section, leading to acute angles at the more narrow end.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Did You mapped the Vega using the Mirror? Most of the parts of the uv are doubled in your AO bake...

yes i did.  I am thinking of revisiting the ship again though so i an change that if it's a problem for you.

If I may offer an opinion, I feel that if this is a Vasudan ship, your use of parallel plating on the central upper(?)surface feels wrong to me.  I would suggest more of a series of aft-pointed V plates, starting off as obtuse angles at the broader section, leading to acute angles at the more narrow end.

yes it is vasudan, thinking in a similar role to the vega and I will certainly give that a try

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Please add some hard edges somewhere in the Altair. Although vasudans do have curvy stuff, you need some angles too. Look at the upgraded Typhon, Hatshepsut or Sobek, they have hard edges well combined with smooth surfaces.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Please add some hard edges somewhere in the Altair. Although vasudans do have curvy stuff, you need some angles too. Look at the upgraded Typhon, Hatshepsut or Sobek, they have hard edges well combined with smooth surfaces.

how do you mean hard edges? my understanding of this would be the bulk of the ridging on the wings and the spinal plates where there are plenty of right angle type edges

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
updated the p3d model

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
updated the Altair again with a few model tweaks and a new texture base.

and for those who remember it I have had a hit of nostalgia and am resurrecting the old p brick of mine

to date only updated the 3 twin barreled multiparts since i last looked at it, still deciding on what to do with the ghastly lower superstructure, the wtf turret on the end of that and how to rework the mesh on the rear structures

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
If I were You, I would rather think about more details to LOD0 like your Wayfayer has. Actualy the Wayfayer is only of your models enough detailed to be considered as up-to-date model, and while other models like Altair and that gunship have pretty good designs and are worth to be finished, I'd like to see more progress on Wayfayer.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
If I were You, I would rather think about more details to LOD0 like your Wayfayer has. Actualy the Wayfayer is only of your models enough detailed to be considered as up-to-date model, and while other models like Altair and that gunship have pretty good designs and are worth to be finished, I'd like to see more progress on Wayfayer.

I disagree. Throwing hundreds of modelled panels on something looks good in grey, untextured models, but the idea that it's somehow neccessary to do so to add polies to some point where it becomes "detailed enough" to be considered "up to date" is ludicrous. This new GTCv Capella could maybe do with a few little greebles or doodads here or there, but that'd be optional. It's definitely good enough to justify spending the time UVing and texturing as it is now.

The Altair could probably do with some more detailing, just so that there's somewhere to put textured details on the underside, but the basic design works, and there's no doubt that we need more Vasudan capships.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Wayfayer is proving a pig to unwrap atm, i cant get it to a point I am happy enough with it to move on with it :(  I will get there but it will be slow going.

in the mean time I just spent about 30 mins putting crude main thrusters on the back of Altair and a docking point on its belly

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
:bump: Ok so been a silly long time again :(

anyhow some updates to the Vega class that I was working on.

firstly ditched the multiparts in favor of some that I have have in other models which I like which are lower polly
did the same with the breams though these are much higher polly
also rounded up a few unnecessary verts
and finally worked on a few new details on the hull hopefully making this more interesting visually.