Author Topic: Homeworld IP Sale Shenanigans  (Read 8112 times)

Re: Homeworld IP Sale Shenanigans
Uh, just about everyone outbid Team Pixel from what I heard.  Stardock came in second and Paradox third.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
If there is such interest, then I guess it's.. good?
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Well, never though those guys had a real chance anyway (and even if they got the IP they would screw up their own plans with it)

If there is such interest, then I guess it's.. good?

To be determined ...

While Sega owns Relic now and it'd be cool if the IP goes to Relic. However Sega is one of my least favorite publishers (only outdone by Ubisoft right now) and it would be a shame if the fate of a new HW game would be determined by Sega...

So anyword on who did win the auction?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

We'll know who wins some time in May.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Hopefully we'll get some details on Monday.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Stardock could make a good Homeworld game. They actually kinda already did (but I can't remember the freaking name!).

Not so convinced that Paradox could.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I don't think anyone needs the HW license to make a good HW-like game.

IE: who cares who ends up getting it, that won't mean they will have the drive to make it, or that someone else won't have the drive to make it under a new license.

The Homeworld name doesn't have any weight outside of a very small number of diehard fans anyway. I'm all for a revival of the genre, and I doubt it requires a revival of the franchise.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Stardock could make a good Homeworld game. They actually kinda already did (but I can't remember the freaking name!).

Not so convinced that Paradox could.
Paradox would release Homeworld 3 for full price at 50% completion.
Then patch it to 100% afterwards. Never buy a paradox released game at launch. ever.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
IE: who cares who ends up getting it

Apparently everyone who actually bid money on it, for starters.

But seriously, I could have been happy with Homeworld as a Stardock property. They'd use it. They'd do well with it. They know how to make spacey games. Paradox does its best work with management simulators and doesn't have a great history at the tactical level.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 08:41:18 pm by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Stardock makes 4x games (Galactic Civilizations, Fallen Enchantress), not spacey games.  They'd most likely end up handing some or all of it off to Ironclad though, who do know spacey games since they made the excellent RTS Sins of a Solar Empire.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Stardock makes 4x games (Galactic Civilizations, Fallen Enchantress), not spacey games.

GalCiv is pretty spacey.

Plus I DO remember their Homeworld Clone pretty fondly, if only I could remember the freaking name. I think I've even mentioned it, eons ago, here. I was modeling a ship based on it.

A Feddie Story

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Stardock makes 4x games (Galactic Civilizations, Fallen Enchantress), not spacey games.

GalCiv is pretty spacey.

Plus I DO remember their Homeworld Clone pretty fondly, if only I could remember the freaking name. I think I've even mentioned it, eons ago, here. I was modeling a ship based on it.

I doubt it was Sins since Stardock didn't get involved in that until recently. Hegemonia and ORB were the other games notably similar to Homeworld but Stardock wasn't involved in them.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Ah. ORB it was.

They were selling it, though, and I don't remember another name on the game. Ah well.

A Feddie Story

GalCiv is pretty spacey.

I doubt it was Sins since Stardock didn't get involved in that until recently. Hegemonia and ORB were the other games notably similar to Homeworld but Stardock wasn't involved in them.
Stardock's been handling the publishing for Sins since the 2008 release, so they've been involved for quite a while.  It wasn't until Rebellion though that they actually started producing code for it.

And NGTM-1R, GalCiv may be a spacey game, but it plays like Civilization, not an RTS.  They're also pretty heavily focused on that fantasy 4x game Fallen Enchantress, so I would definitely say their internal games development is focused on 4x rather than anything specifically spacey.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
4x rather than anything specifically spacey.

It's not a matter of focus. They have people on staff who can manage a decent look and feel for such a game, which is pretty much half of the work. Maybe it ends up being a 4x title, I don't much care, but I believe they could have made a title that felt like Homeworld.

A Feddie Story

And the lucky winner is..... Gearbox
http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/community/articles/1029/homeworld-acquisition-and-plans/

Excuse me while I go and cry in the corner. After the whole Aliens fiasco, excuse me if my faith is lacking...
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline Lorric

Well, I've never heard of them, but they're asking for input. So maybe those of you who have an interest in the future of Homeworld should go and talk to them. Surely it can't hurt?