Author Topic: Problems with Return to Babel mission  (Read 7368 times)

Offline Rochas

Problems with Return to Babel mission
This  mission is really ticking me off. I believe I either have a corrupted mission file or pilot file. Basically what happens is I get the debriefing # 6 , which is the Failed to dock debriefing and you are getting kicked out of the vasudan encampment. Now first let me say that the mission IS successfull, and I destroy all the fighters, the two cruisers. And the Qeb comes in docks, waits, tranfers cargo, then undocks, then warps out. The Iceni then self destructs, I get the mission complete message, the happy mission complete muisic, but when I warp out I get the Qeb has failed to dock debriefing. What is up with that? It docks I watch it. It undocks I watch it. It has the survivors cargo. I read the scanner. And it warps out. I watched it. So for some reason the qeb undock and warp out flag is not getting set? I extracted the mission files to the games\fre...\data\mission folder and opened it  with fred and all the sexpies look correct so not sure what the F is going on. Am I missing something?

Using freespace open version 3_6_18_BP  ( I was palying blue planet mod before I decided to run through the fs2 campaign again, forgot to change before begining fs2 campaign ) perhaps that is it?
Mod is set to  media VP 3.5.12

Re: Problems with Return to Babel mission
Just registered to bring up the same issue.  I'm playing FSopen on Mac, and I've played the mission through at least 8 times on different difficulties.  Each time, I succeed, but the debrief tells me I failed.

I haven't installed anything at all except the barebones Freespace 2 Open files, and I'm running off a copy of FS2 I bought from GOG about a few weeks ago.

Any help?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Can you please post a fs2_open.log from a failed playthrough?  See my .sig for how to create the log.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

I know this is sort of a petty question, but do I need to 'accept' at the failed debrief screen while making this log?  Or will the program log the pertinent info if I back out ("Quit & Retry Later")?

Thanks so much for the quick reply.

(Edit: Here's the file after I played it through and hit 'quit and retry later' upon reaching the fail debrief)

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 06:57:41 pm by justicarphaeton »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I've got a number of questions & suggestions :)

1)  Which exact failure debrief do you get?

a) Our transport failed to dock with the Iceni. The NTF survivors (etc)
b) The Shivans destroyed the GVT Qeb while the transport was still docked with the Iceni. The NTF survivors (etc)
c) We were almost there, pilot. Our transport was mere seconds away from jumping to safety. The NTF survivors (etc)
d) Our transport failed to dock with the Iceni, and we lost the ETAK technology. All evidence (etc)

1.5) Does the primary goal "Capture The Iceni" get marked complete?

2) You may wish to download & install the mediavps_3612 to get upgraded graphics (although with your Intel graphics card, you might need to skip the advanced VPs - maybe someone else who is more familiar could offer some suggestions here?).  The mediavps also have a newer version of the mission, but I don't think that will help this problem.

3) To see if this is a bug in the code, could you try using 3.6.14 & see if the problem still exists?  (3.6.16 has a nasty damage scaling bug which makes the game much harder so I don't recommend using that).

4) You could also try using a recent nightly build to see if the problem exists there as well.

Let me know if any of these help.

(edit, added Q1.5)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 10:56:15 pm by niffiwan »
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Yarn

The problem has to do with the way the has-docked-delay SEXP currently works. I will post this on Mantis shortly.

EDIT: The report has been posted here.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 12:31:16 am by Yarn »
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

The failure debrief is the "Our transport failed to dock with the Iceni, and we lost the ETAK technology..." debrief.  All objectives complete in-mission (they change colour and the appropriate audio files from Command play to acknowledge it).  Everything works completely fine except for the failure screen after the mission.

Thanks for some of the solutions; I will give some of them a shot.  This is a pretty major bug and I'm surprised no-one has brought it up yet.  Is it new to the most recent build of FSO, or mitigated by the upgraded graphics (which I assume is the configuration most users run it in?)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
It's new to the recent builds of FSO.  And it looks like Goober5000 has coded a fix, we just need to review & test it.  Hopefully the fix will be in 3.7.0 RC2 (as well as a nightly build in the near future).
----
----

I noticed this yesterday, same issue.

Just in case anyone else find this thread before the fix hits the press: replaying the mission in 3.6.14 fixed the issue for me.

(Leaving out the technical details because it seems you have everything well under control already :) )

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Here's the nightly with a fix for this issue, please try it & report any issues

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=84542.msg1688448;topicseen#new
----
----

Here's the nightly with a fix for this issue, please try it & report any issues

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=84542.msg1688448;topicseen#new

I'm having this same problem too and just found this topic. I tried using the build, which works, but it also creates a "blank" pilot with the same name but no statistics/medals. Is there a way to keep my old pilot data when using this build?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Were you playing with 3.6.18 and then switched to the nightly?  If so the missing medals/stats could be a different problem with the pilot conversion code - could you post your before & after pilot files?  They should be in:

3.6.18: freespace2/data/players/single/inferno (.cs2 & .pl2)
3.6.19: freespace2/data/players (.plr & .csg)
----
----

Yeah, that's pretty much what I did. I noticed that it created new files in the players folder afterward, so I figured those were the "blank" ones that the 3.6.19 build was using. I only realized there was a problem though after I completed a few more missions and gained the "Ace" when I already had both "Ace" and "Double Ace".

Here they are. They aren't allowed file types so I had to zip them.

Offline Sacro

I'm having this same problem too and just found this topic. I tried using the build, which works, but it also creates a "blank" pilot with the same name but no statistics/medals. Is there a way to keep my old pilot data when using this build?
Same problem here. If I try using a nightly build (both the one linked here and the newest), my pilot becomes blank - no statistics, no medals and worst of all I would have to replay the whole campaign. Also, if I switch back to 3.6.18 my progress is restored. Is there a fix/workaround for this yet?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I thought the issue was just with kills/medals, not campaign progress.  Have you tried just continuing the campaign when using the nightly?  (and no, I haven't managed to fix this yet)
----
----

Offline Sacro

I also thought that it would just be kills and medals, which is why I tried it, but apparently not. Continuing the campaign with the nightly build leads me to the introduction to the 53rd Hammerheads and then the basic training (the main menu is also Terran again - not Vasudan), but If I then switch back to 3.6.18 my progress is restored. So it seems that my pilot files are not really chnaged, but that the nightly somehow isn't reading them correctly or something. Should I attach them?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
:(  the bug might be worse than I thought

3.6.18 & 3.7.0RC2 are using two separate sets of pilot files, 3.7.0RC2 converts the 3.6.18 format ones to the new format when it starts up (if it hasn't already converted them).  And yes, please attach your pilot files, both new & old:

3.6.18: freespace2/data/players/single/inferno (.cs2 & .pl2)
3.6.19: freespace2/data/players (.plr & .csg)

It'd also help if you could post a list of all the files in these directories/folders as well.
----
----

Offline Sacro

In the players directory there are only 3 other files besides the profile one (hud_1/2/3.hcf). In the inferno folder are only pilot files. Pilot files are attached as .zip archives.

Same problems here unfortunately.
I'm running the full media VPs

Interestingly enough, with 3.6.18 final, the hangar screen is still terran, changing to the nightly builds, this changes to vasudan.
However, the joystick axis's are reversed - Bank is Y, pitch is X, and then reversed further - Moving the stick to the right, causes the ship to bank to the left.  Also yaw is the same, unable to test further, I ended up with a fairly terrible headache trying to work that one out.