Author Topic: Aliens: Colonial Marines subject of Lawsuit  (Read 4033 times)

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Aliens: Colonial Marines subject of Lawsuit
So I just came across This Article and several others which say the same thing.

Now in this case, I feel it is quite justified. All the trailers and publicity were footage taken from the demo, even right up to release date, and what people recieved was not what was advertised. I don't particularly care who wins this suit as the publicity will hurt both companies anyway, but I do hope that the message will be conveyed. While differences between demos from games still in developement and the finished thing are to be expected, A:CM essentially spat in the eye of that with a big yellow loogie.

So, what do you guys and gals think about it; Good thing? Bad thing? Death of the game demo?
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines subject of Lawsuit
I think this game was ranked 4/10 by Game Informer. They just don't recommend it.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
I think it'll be a good thing if the guy wins this, many companies act like this and deliver something entirely different, its about time gamers get what they were advertised.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 Because of the disclaimer that says the demo did not represent the final game And the fact his lawsuit is about preordering, I heavily doubt this will go anywhere. Even if it does, it is likely he'll get power stomped in court.

Would be nice if the ruling put an end to the review-embargo crap, but I doubt any of it will go anywhere. 'Course, not a lawyer in California, so there could be case law that supports the plaintiff. Or the judge might be an Aliens fan. :p
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
review embargo isn't a legal thing, it's an industry thing.  reviewers are perfectly free to post reviews early.  but then that will be the last review they ever write, as they will no longer be getting advance copies.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
lawsuit against all the lies and false advertisment for EA's simcity when?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
If there'll be a precedent, I'm calling dibs on suing the guys who made Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing (yes, I know I don't live in US yet, but I'm planning to at some point of my education). :)

EDIT: For those who don't know, BR:OtRR it's essentially a tech demo somebody had the audacity to ship like it was an actual game. And it wasn't a simple mistake, either. They released a patch for the thing (not that it helped much, considering you could still drive through the walls and go FTL if you hold reverse long enough...).

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
1.) I would really like to see something like this get passed on the Federal level for every finished product sold.  Because I haven't seen Truth in Advertising law do much of anything, lately.
2.) Demo footage at PAX does not count as a finished product (as their disclaimer noted).
3.) There are several games on Steam that outright lie about what's inside the box.  They should focus on those.

Offline Lorric

If there'll be a precedent, I'm calling dibs on suing the guys who made Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing (yes, I know I don't live in US yet, but I'm planning to at some point of my education). :)

EDIT: For those who don't know, BR:OtRR it's essentially a tech demo somebody had the audacity to ship like it was an actual game. And it wasn't a simple mistake, either. They released a patch for the thing (not that it helped much, considering you could still drive through the walls and go FTL if you hold reverse long enough...).

I actually thought about mentioning that! I just didn't really know what to say exactly :D

Looks like the company has broken up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_Stone

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
1.) I would really like to see something like this get passed on the Federal level for every finished product sold.  Because I haven't seen Truth in Advertising law do much of anything, lately.

You have, actually. Marketing has evolved so that pinning a campaign down with a TiA lawsuit is almost impossible. You may feel as if a given campaign broke them, or bent them, but proving that is really hard.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event

Holy S***.

EDIT: Ahahaahaha!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:54:12 pm by An4ximandros »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
So yeah. And have you seen the box? :) "18 wheels of thunder" or something like that, and box are making it look like an actual game. Aliens:CM have nothing on Big Rigs with regards to TiA issues.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Wait, you were actually serious?

Big Rigs was an incredible failure, yes. However, unlike A:CM, it was never going to get much interest; There never was a big hype surrounding it in the first place. Equating the two issues is a stupid thing to do.

(Hell, if you are desperate to bring Big Rigs into this discussion, why not concentrate on WarZ, made by the same developer? THAT game had some pretty legitimate issues with truth in advertising.)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Wait, you were actually serious?
Semi-serious, really. When I've heard of this, I was amazed the devs weren't sued into oblivion by disappointed customers, but I guess that's because the game was obscure. You're right that Aliens:CM was advertised a lot more and thus it was much bigger deal.
Also, thanks for telling me about War Z. I can accept, a company releasing one abomination like Big Rigs. But they did it again! A vid, for the record: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtKAm3nzg6I Says it all, really, and it's not even funny. Talk about refuge in audacity.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Wether or not something garners much interest on not has no bearing on wether it sucks or not, of it a serious breach of law happened.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yeah, but if something gathers a lot of interest, it gets bought by a lot of people. Also, IIRC, Aliens:CM had a preorder option. With War Z, most people had a chance not to buy it before reading a review or seeing a vid. On the other hand, people who bought Aliens:CM were only going by demo footage. It would be alright, if only they showed stuff from actual game before release (so people could cancel the preorder if they didn't like it), which they didn't. Still, lies are lies, and in both cases, I think that law has been seriously violated. There's advertising trickery and there's lying in customers' faces, and here we're talking about the latter.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
An other game comes to mind. Sword of the stars 2.
Released under the lie of "we accidently uploaded the wrong build for release!" while the game was flatout not ready yet, somewhere in early alpha with not even a working options menu.
Charging money for incomplete products seem to be all the rage nowadays.

Most F2P games just hide under the 'ITS A BETA VERSION' blanket nowadays too, like MWO (or any other recent F2P game, but I remember MWO as it had stalward forum knights that would dismiss every bit of valid critism with BETA BETA BETA), but they'll all gladly take your money for microtransactions.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Then there's the fashion of selling an open alpha and acting like that absolves you of any responsibility for testing your damn code.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
uhhhh

Yes, it does. Alpha means "This is untested, there may be dragons here". However, it also means "We're still working on it, if you find bugs please report them" (The dev's obligation, of course, is to actually do the work, but complaining about alpha-quality games being unfinished strikes me as a bit silly).