Author Topic: Aliens: Colonial Marines subject of Lawsuit  (Read 4028 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines subject of Lawsuit
Then there's the fashion of selling an open alpha and acting like that absolves you of any responsibility for testing your damn code.
Actually, as long as it's labeled as an alpha, I think that's a very good thing. In fact, the entire point of releasing an open alpha is to get people to complain about bugs, so you can fix them. A "community alpha" is a win-win situation for the community in question and the devs. The former get the game early and gets to participate in the development, the latter get money from the sales and a testing team of a size no corporation could ever afford to hire. This might well be one of the greatest gaming inventions since 3D graphics. Charging money for incomplete things and acting as if they're complete is something that definitely shouldn't happen, but stuff clearly released as development version (and updated with decent frequency) is fine.

OK, to be clear, that was a thinly-veiled jab at Minecraft's development practices, where Notch would often release updates which were utterly broken in ways that would have been noticed after 5 minutes of playtesting, and which were for a long time effectively mandatory if you wanted to use multiplayer. Nobody expects a public alpha to be bug-free, but being functional is another matter entirely.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, sliced bread is also a great invention, but it wouldn't be so great if you sliced it along it's long axis, wouldn't it? Minecraft's alpha development was poorly handled and most games don't do that. Take KSP. First development builds, which are what the devs work on, then internal testing versions which are often barely functional, but at least work and public alpha builds which are quite stable, if still somewhat bugged. Releasing every dev version to the public only makes sense if you're doing an open source project, like SCP (and even in SCP, if you want a build based on some random version, you have to build it yourself. Non-coders have nightlies, which should be at least functional). Also, before commiting anything, one should at least have the decency to run it at least once to see if it works as intended. I learned this the hard way when working on BP (it went about as well as you'd expect, the commit got reverted the following day).

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs

That is all.

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Well, sliced bread is also a great invention, but it wouldn't be so great if you sliced it along it's long axis.

False. It would make for some mighty sandwiches.

Also; Dafuq is that guy, and why does he have the eyes of a sexual predator?
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
"No"

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Maybe he really likes Randy Pitchford?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
I side with Deathfun on this.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Maybe he really likes Randy Pitchford?
Seems like it he really, really likes him, so to speak. :) Not that I have anything against that.

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Actually, it was more of a reference to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dPF8jpItCs

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Actually, it was more of a reference to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dPF8jpItCs

Now that makes more sense