Author Topic: Planet Explorers  (Read 29403 times)

Offline ShivanSpS

Ive just discover it, its a game of the same style of Minecraft, just this looks so much better, and you can build you own weapons, vehicles, boats and helicopters.

http://planetexplorers.pathea.net/

(kickstarter extension that ends on may 25, download link for a limited alpha and the official trailer version is there too)

and here is gameplay video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njVZs_s4_Ro

The game its intended to run on Windows, Linux and Mac.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 12:36:29 pm by ShivanSpS »

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Re: Planet Explorers, could be the Minecraft killer?
 Not sure if actual voxel based game, or 'voxel' based game. :doubt:

EDIT: I seriously wish people would stop crying out "¡IT'S THE (X) KILLER!" There is on g**damn reason to believe it's even trying to be and it vexes people who would take sides on a non-existant, unproductive conflict.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 03:06:21 pm by An4ximandros »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'm not seeing much evidence for the sandboxy aspects that made minecraft what it is, here...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline ShivanSpS

but is sandbox.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Not sure if actual voxel based game, or 'voxel' based game. :doubt:

EDIT: I seriously wish people would stop crying out "¡IT'S THE (X) KILLER!" There is on g**damn reason to believe it's even trying to be and it vexes people who would take sides on a non-existant, unproductive conflict.

Well there are cubes
And the 1-9 inventory on the bottom of the screen
And there's blocks
So it's gotta be like Minecraft right?
"No"

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
but is sandbox.

Yeah, show me the Fenris somebody built and I'll consider it sandboxy enough to compete with Minecraft.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline ShivanSpS

I can make it fly with turrets to shoot... well no now, but later on, it also gona need some kind of dock structure or it will crash when you attempt to land it.
anyway its a alpha, it does not even has multiplayer in yet...

if you want to built it static, you can do it even in the current alpha, and i think right now, you could just put it wheels and drive it as a car with laser and missile turrets :P

mmmm i think il try to do it...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 06:14:28 pm by ShivanSpS »

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
This looks more like combat + some crafting + ripped-off-interface + some blocks instead of Minecraft.  Minecraft was all about creative exploration and worldbuilding (or a sandbox, if you will).

I'm more interested in Starbound.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I wouldn't mind Terraria and Minecraft being mixed into one
Why isn't anyone doing that
"No"

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Tried it for a bit. Can't really see how this is in any shape or form a Minecraft killer.

The thing is, Minecraft is incredibly intuitive. Once you figure out that you can get blocks of dirt, or wood, by punching things, everything kinda flows from there. You can get into the game quickly, and all of the mechanics are easily accessible or easily grasped extensions of other mechanisms.

This game? It's kinda obtuse in that regard. Sure, the graphics are curvier, but that also means that it's much harder to pin down what an interactive object is. Are the trees punchable? Can I dig into the ground? These are things that the game in its current state does not teach you adequately (at least when starting in sandbox mode).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Yeah, what people trying to make a high-fidelity Minecraft don't seem to grasp is that the voxel graphics make the underlying abstractions of the world immediately apparent, and by slapping a load of procedural textures and terrain smoothing to that you're essentially just obfuscating the core gameplay.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I watched the vid, for me minecraft's draw is the lego aspect of building giant citadels.  Not so much making dirt mounds to mount turrets on and running round killing the native wildlife like its the 1800s and I want to depopulate the buffalo.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline ShivanSpS

guys the minecraft killer in the title is a question not a stament.

This game? It's kinda obtuse in that regard. Sure, the graphics are curvier, but that also means that it's much harder to pin down what an interactive object is. Are the trees punchable? Can I dig into the ground? These are things that the game in its current state does not teach you adequately (at least when starting in sandbox mode).

thats because is not finished, the story mode teachs you to play more of less, and its still a open world even in story mode, the others modes are in but not near finished yet, the game will launch in 2014, this alpha is just a small demo for the kickstarter, from what ive tell it does not even has the 10% of all the features.
It is a sandbox, exploration, building, both cities and vehicles/hovercrafts/boats you can design, share and produce.

The game right now is unfinished, unbalanced, and yes, it has a lot of shortcoming when it comes to tech you to play, but anyway i have to say, i did not need the game to tell me how to chop down a tree or to dig... i mean, i want to dig? minimum a need a shovel, in the story mode the first time ive played i ended out selling plants and woods ive collected to i could buy the wood shovel recipe from the npc... after that i did the same for the wood axe so i could choop down trees more effectively than with the dagger.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 12:06:35 pm by ShivanSpS »

This is a fundamental design flaw, not an "it's still beta" thing.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline ShivanSpS

What design flaw?

The one The_E and I have just explained to you.

Offline ShivanSpS

That does not seem to be a design flaw to me, making a world that is not made purely of blocks it does place a bit of realism, because you are not digging a block, you dig the ground, now what the player do are placed in form of blocks, but they do not really look like a block, i can see your point there, but it noy necessary means it will be a bad thing.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I can already see this going bad places, so I'll step in now and point out something I thought would be obvious, but apparently isn't.

Just because you don't like something does not make it a design flaw.

Simultaneously, "It's just an alpha" does not forgive legitimate flaws completely.

Everyone realize both of those points, and there shouldn't be a problem.

Didn't I explain why I thought it was a legitimate design flaw, not a matter of my personal tastes?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

Didn't I explain why I thought it was a legitimate design flaw, not a matter of my personal tastes?

Yes, you did; No, I don't agree with you.

It would obfuscate gameplay if nothing else at all changed.  However, the inclusion of even a simple "This is how stuff works" tooltip corrects the issue, much less any kind of tutorial or help guide.