Author Topic: Uglies  (Read 15012 times)

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Our shipset is starting to be in a pretty good shape now, so I've started putting together some uglies. Here's the first; a ZY-wing interceptor. :D It's intended to be a particularly fast ugly, with (naturally) otherwise poor stats.

You can also see a glimpse of greyleader's new Action VI transport here, as well as one of swashmebuckle's great planet backgrounds.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That looks so, so wrong. :D

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Something about the kitbashed nature of these ships makes the idea of blowing them apart all the more satisfying. It's the spare parts circle of life, like you're freeing the tortured soul of this foul abomination of a ship and returning its body to the scrap heap from whence it came. Yeah.

I dig this one in particular. Maybe we should load up the nose with autoblasters so it spits out a furious torrent of largely ineffective fire?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:09:13 pm by swashmebuckle »

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Uglies are the bestest.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That looks so, so wrong. :D

Wait till you see the X-TIE.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
not to mention the Y-wing - TIE combinations
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
So beautiful. Er, ugly. I dunno, but I want one!

I'm a sucker for the "hacked together" style of ship...

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
  • maveric modeler, the sky is just the begining
great job Zookeeper, say whatever happened to that correlian gunship you were UVin?

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 So fast, so terrible, so ugly! You did an excellent job in capturing the ugh of these. Hope to destroy see more soon. :nod:

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I think even a Z-95 could rip that thing to shreds.

Then again, that's the joy of it. Star Wars lore states that Uglies are always inferior to production models. Even the awesome ones like the Chir'daki. :P
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

What a beauty... well, in it's own peculiar way   ;)
Blowing it to pieces should be a lot of fun, especially since the Y-Wing was my favourite target in good old TIE Fighter. Now three Y-Wing engines, that's like  the triple-breasted whore of Erotikon 6  :P
Come to think of it (the three engines, not the whore): Does FotG feature similar destruction effects like the original Star Wars SpaceSims?  I.e. starships disintegrating into their components before they explode, and sometimes crashing into your TIE-cockpit...

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Does FotG feature similar destruction effects like the original Star Wars SpaceSims?  I.e. starships disintegrating into their components before they explode, and sometimes crashing into your TIE-cockpit...

Oh I hope not, stupid debris positively springing & leaping towards you at 180 degrees to the ships original vector.  no no no no no!!! :p

(to be clear, I'm perfectly cool with the different style of debris, just not its insanely rapid change in vector)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Worry about explosions more.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Sigh.  I really hate the uglies...don't think they should exist at all.  There's no real world precedent for them - people don't build airplanes (at least not anything that would fly) out of the remains of a learjet and a piper cub.  it's even EXTRAORDINARILY rare to see a car kit-bashed together from other cars.

Oh well, obviously there's enough people that seem to really like them though - I'm apparently in the minority.

Sigh.  I really hate the uglies...don't think they should exist at all.  There's no real world precedent for them - people don't build airplanes (at least not anything that would fly) out of the remains of a learjet and a piper cub.
Well there was the DC-2.5, which was even kitbashed in very similar circumstances: by a small opposition force, who needed all the material they could possibly get, to be able to oppose an evil Empire :) There's also plenty of airplanes that were retrofitted for experimentation, research etc.

it's even EXTRAORDINARILY rare to see a car kit-bashed together from other cars.
In Soviet Russia Serbia, car kitbashes YOU!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:59:14 pm by FreeSpaceFreak »

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
There's no real world precedent for them
There is no real world precedent for combat spaceships, turbolasers, Force chokes and moon-sized artificial stations. What was your point ?

It is obvious that many real world rules don't apply to SW. Rule Of Cool, however, does.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Lorric

In Soviet Russia Serbia, car kitbashes YOU!

That thing is hilarious!  :lol:

I'd be nervous being anywhere near it though...  :nervous:

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
There's no real world precedent for them
There is no real world precedent for combat spaceships, turbolasers, Force chokes and moon-sized artificial stations. What was your point ?

It is obvious that many real world rules don't apply to SW. Rule Of Cool, however, does.
Even though I think uglies are kind of a fun detail of SW goofiness, I see where Buggula is coming from here. Stuff like The Force, hyperdrives, lightsabers etc. violate the laws of the real world very explicitly and sort of automatically engage the suspension of disbelief. Uglies, though much more plausible than these other things (a spaceship can be any shape after all), just kind of clash with the "this would work" area of my brain on a much more mundane level, so it's a different kind of wonkiness from the usual sci-fi/fantasy "just take this for granted" requirement. That's my theory anyway.

Fortunately, anyone who still likes SW after having seen the prequels has already demonstrated the capacity to ignore aspects of it that they don't like, so I'm not too worried about losing a big chunk of our audience over this :)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well, the ones that bother me the most are the ones that are clearly missing a vital component of any starfighter, such as its engines.  Like, if you put TIE panels in place of a Y-Wing's engines.  I mean, wtf is going to move it?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
It paddles forward with its etheric rudder, duh