Author Topic: Heck yes! (OpenRA)  (Read 2823 times)

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
http://openra.res0l.net/

Red Alert 1, Tiberian Dawn & Dune 2k on a modern engine? With multi-player? With Voxel and SHP (TS, RA2) support on the way? Yes, please.

EDIT: Some gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCAOK0ut8Kk - Dune
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISMw9hmLHFQ - Red Alert

Note: At the moment it's Multiplayer only. So far, only Tiberian Dawn has skirmish AI support.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:24:43 am by An4ximandros »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
They don't plan to add it as it's a pain in the ass to add concrete all the time. On multiplayer original dune 2000 we dont build concrete as well as it slows us down.
Fail.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
This is not really Dune 2000 without concrete. :) Building on concrete vs. building without was also a part of the strategy.
That said, this project looks promising.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
No concrete? What is this heresy? Optimizing concrete formation design was such a big part of the strat in Dune 2000! Which I still play occasionally. It's still fun.

Oh well, I'll check this out anyway.

Offline An4ximandros

K, played the Dune mod. It has AI support, you just need to make a "closed" net match.

You will be thankful for the lack of concrete, the 3 AIs in the game will own your ass by rushing everything they have within 8 minutes. Better have a crap ton of harvesters by then. :p

The concrete is not much of a loss; in fact, Westwood took it out for Emperor. It's not that useful when you can have the AI and the player working at the faster pace of this mod.

That said, I do like paving my bases, (Mostly in Tiberian Sun) it makes it look more... base like? I don't know how to put it. It protecting from Nod underground vehicles and terrain deformation on that game probably help too. :d

• Operates at 375 kelvin
The AI is definitely less stupid. Used to be I could make unstoppable bottlenecks with a line of rocket turrets and just build a crapload of refineries and eat the WHOLE map. I don't know if it's just me but I feel like the damage is a lot faster overall. I have the original Dune 2K on this computer, so maybe I'll play a little comparison match later.

Offline Luis Dias

The only real dune is dune2. i'm so hardcore.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i want a dune game that doesnt suck.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

• Operates at 375 kelvin
i want a dune game that doesnt suck.

Seconded. Although the contemplative, grandiose, and bizarre nature of the novel tends to translate poorly to games.

Open RA has promise, if only for the fact that it's open source like our beloved FSO. The C&C franchise has some pretty dedicated fans that have been mostly denied any good sequels or even spiritual successors for years. This could be a good outlet for their ideas and passion.

Offline Luis Dias

I'd love a game where you would struggle against Leto II's empire.

Offline Nakura

• Zombie Heinlein
    • Rebecca Chambers Fan Club
Looks great, especially Red Alert. I know that if I played the classic C&C games online today though, I would be absolutely terrible.

Offline mralexs

• I'm White and Nerdy
Don't ever play the Tiberian Dawn mod for it. It is extremely unbalanced and GDI owns everything

Offline An4ximandros

New playtest version up. http://openra.res0l.net/

Among the many awesome thingies here are such beauties as:
Unit husks can now be force-targeted and destroyed.
[D2K] Implemented concrete plates, and structural damage for buildings built on the ground.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I checked this out a while ago with the regular RA. The AI is definitely tougher and more interesting than stock RA, but still not hard to beat. I would like to port my Future wars mod for RA to it, but it uses custom formats for rules, graphics, etc. that are quite different from the original RA.

Offline Enzo03

There are also new skirmish maps, at least for Tiberian Dawn.

I've heard that the only real difference between the original RA's AI and OpenRA's AI is their build order.
21:20:19   SpardaSon21: "hey baby, want to get a good look at my AC/20?
21:20:26   Spoon: I'd hit it like the fist of steiner

Some people are like Slinkies.  They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Luis Dias

New playtest version up. http://openra.res0l.net/

Among the many awesome thingies here are such beauties as:
Unit husks can now be force-targeted and destroyed.
[D2K] Implemented concrete plates, and structural damage for buildings built on the ground.

Ah. Finally. So I might have to actually check this out for myself then.

Offline Enzo03

For anyone who is making their own mods for OpenRA, they do not work in the playtest version, nor do shellmaps (the maps with stuff loaded up and things happening when you're in the main menu).
21:20:19   SpardaSon21: "hey baby, want to get a good look at my AC/20?
21:20:26   Spoon: I'd hit it like the fist of steiner

Some people are like Slinkies.  They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.