Author Topic: Future developments in ship skins  (Read 8858 times)

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Re: Future developments in ship skins
Say, are there any plans to make FsPort compatible with MediaVPs or give it it's own version of the VPs?
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
The FSPort "fsport-mediavps" already use the mediavps_3612?  So it's kinda yes to both your questions.  Have I understood you correctly?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
I guess :confused:

What I'm saying is that whenever I play FSPort 3.4 it doesn't have any of the skins for the ships from the MVP 3.6.12, So I was wondering if anyone had plans to do it or if it was an open project.

Also, what does it take to start your own mod for FS2 Open? I know you need people who can code and model but is there anything else?

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Hmmm... it sounds like you could have an issue in your FSPort install.  Would you care to post a fs2_open.log?  Also, which ships does it occur with, screenshots of the relevant ship(s) from MVP 3.6.12 & FSPort would help.

As for starting your own mod, all you really need is the drive to FRED missions.  You can add coding, scripting, modelling, texturing, composing, voice acting, etc if you wish, but a mod can exist without all of that.  It can't exist without FRED :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

What I'm saying is that whenever I play FSPort 3.4 it doesn't have any of the skins for the ships from the MVP 3.6.12, So I was wondering if anyone had plans to do it or if it was an open project.
IIRC, you need to select the FSPort MediaVPs as your active mod - that should activate the 3.6.12 MVPs as well as the FSPort-specific upgrades.

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Hmmm... it sounds like you could have an issue in your FSPort install.  Would you care to post a fs2_open.log?  Also, which ships does it occur with, screenshots of the relevant ship(s) from MVP 3.6.12 & FSPort would help.

Here it is. This occurs on all space craft. I also don't get the new engine/afterburners that are in MVP 3.6.12.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
IIRC, you need to select the FSPort MediaVPs as your active mod - that should activate the 3.6.12 MVPs as well as the FSPort-specific upgrades.

Here are some screen shots of my file setup and Wxlauncher setup.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Luis Dias

You need to install the fsport_mediavps folder. Go back to the FSPort 3.4 release thread by Goober and follow *to the letter* the install process. You will see he refers to this new folder that you have to install too.

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Thank you.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Okay so the Fsport MVPs work just fine but I have had a massive decrease in FPS, from the 60s down to around 15-20. Is there any way to fix this?
I have included a log if it helps.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 12:21:02 am by DahBlount »

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Arpit

Okay so the Fsport MVPs work just fine but I have had a massive decrease in FPS, from the 60s down to around 15-20. Is there any way to fix this?

There is no way actually. You have integrated graphics.  :(

You can either remove the additional HTL models (e.g. HTL Maat) or remove Post-processing.

One thing more, with which build were you playing. Have you tried the 3.7 RC builds?

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft

You can either remove the additional HTL models (e.g. HTL Maat) or remove Post-processing.

One thing more, with which build were you playing. Have you tried the 3.7 RC builds?

Freaking hate integrated, must find a way to change GPUs for a laptop (Don't think there is a way though). I am currently using 3.6.19 SSE 2 because I was unaware 3.7.0 had been released officially.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Arpit

Freaking hate integrated, must find a way to change GPUs for a laptop (Don't think there is a way though). I am currently using 3.6.19 SSE 2 because I was unaware 3.7.0 had been released officially.

There is no way to change laptop GPUs especially integrated ones (don't know about the dual or external like in Nvidia Optimus ones).

RC means 'release candidate'. 3.7 is in 'beta' phase so it's not actually released officially.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There are a few Laptops that use plugged-in modular GPUs, but good luck finding those boards on the open market (Not only is this feature not advertised anywhere, the GPUs you would plug into those slots aren't really sold to private customers, and there are issues where you can't use GPUs that have a higher TDP than the ones you would replace).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
What I don't understand is why developers deliberately design laptops without removable hardware, Why should it be any more difficult than a normal computer?

But yeah in other news switching to 3.7.0 RC2 has fixed much of the FPS issues, removing post processing had no effect even before I switched.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What I don't understand is why developers deliberately design laptops without removable hardware, Why should it be any more difficult than a normal computer?

Because it's not something that is relevant for the overwhelming majority of laptop users? Accommodating the minuscule market segment that wants a Laptop that can be upgraded is not a winning strategy in business terms, and it just introduces design headaches everywhere.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft

Because it's not something that is relevant for the overwhelming majority of laptop users? Accommodating the minuscule market segment that wants a Laptop that can be upgraded is not a winning strategy in business terms, and it just introduces design headaches everywhere.

Now, THAT I can understand.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Basically, unless you're getting a more powerful desktop-replacement laptop, the vast majority of laptops aren't meant for gaming, which is fine because that's not why most people buy laptops.  In contrast, even a non-gaming desktop today usually has enough upgrade potential that you can throw a few things in and get some level of gaming usage out of it.

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Yep. Mine can do fairly well for a laptop but when I play certain games (DayZ for example) I don't get a very high fps but it's manageable.

Has anyone found a proper fix to the transparency problem with ships?

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Arpit

Yep. Mine can do fairly well for a laptop but when I play certain games (DayZ for example) I don't get a very high fps but it's manageable.

Has anyone found a proper fix to the transparency problem with ships?

Did you try updating your video drivers?

(Based on your old debug logs your video drivers are 'outdated')