Author Topic: U.S. issues athlete visas to professional gamers  (Read 3305 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: U.S. issues athlete visas to professional gamers
People should be forced to play SC2 in an athletic manner first, by donning a costume of their faction's base combat unit and fighting to the death

Only with the dev team.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
People should be forced to play SC2 in an athletic manner first, by donning a costume of their faction's base combat unit and fighting to the death

Now I'mma zergling! I'm gonna have to put this costume on and bend over and AUGH MAH BACK!
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

I think this article has some pretty compelling points about why Starcraft 2 is a sport.

Considering how professional Starcraft 2 players make more money than professional baseball players...
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Lorric

Very interesting read.

Also, this is my...

He he  :D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:16:19 am by Lorric »

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Considering how professional Starcraft 2 players make more money than professional baseball players...

Compensation not maketh a sport...
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Lorric

Compensation not maketh a sport...

Sport is too vague a word for me to go in on either side of that particular debate. But what about the intensive training required?

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I find compensation to be a ridiculous metric.  If you argued Snooki or Honey Boo Boo deserve Academy Awards because they make a lot of money you'd get laughed out of town.

While I don't begrudge these folks their visas I personally consider it a game, same as poker or MTG. 

While I don't begrudge these folks their visas I personally consider it a game, same as poker or MTG. 
In my experience, those are definitely considered sports, especially professional Texas Hold'em.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
I remember someone on the internet joking that a D3 player would be a valid job in near future. That was so funny..  :(
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I want tabletop wargaming to be a sport then.  I have to stand up, walk around and physically push my guys around the table :D

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Isn't there some kind of WH40K league already? I think there are pro-level tournaments for this (dunno about other tabletop games).
Professional poker can definitely be called a sport. Same for professional bridge.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Isn't there some kind of WH40K league already? I think there are pro-level tournaments for this (dunno about other tabletop games).
Professional poker can definitely be called a sport. Same for professional bridge.

I meant historical :P

I went and looked up "sport" in Wikipedia and apparently it is played pretty fast and loose as far as what it entails.