Author Topic: America, Happy Fourth, now wake up and smell the roses!  (Read 39537 times)

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
America, Happy Fourth, now wake up and smell the roses!
Originally posted by Kellan
It's a term of...errr, respect. Yeah, that's right. :D :nervous:

Okay, one more of these and I'll start talking in portuguese... ;)
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!
    • http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater
Originally posted by Styxx

Is that a threat or a promise? ;)

The only Portugese word I know is the Portugese pronunciation of "adios" (with the -sh, apparently) and (sp) Mudranya (/sp), which is some kind of killer liquor called 'fire water'. :p

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
The only Portugese word I know is the Portugese pronunciation of "adios" (with the -sh, apparently) and (sp) Mudranya (/sp), which is some kind of killer liquor called 'fire water'. :p

Hmm, "Adeus" and "Aguardente", respectively, I believe? The last one has the popular name of "Cachaça", which translates roughly into "Schnapps" (sp?).

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man

Excuse my lack of knowledge on english slang, but what the heck is that supposed to mean? :p

haha, he doesnt know and its not slang.
Got Ether?

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!
Originally posted by Zeronet
haha, he doesnt know and its not slang.

Yes it is, it's just that it's such old slang it's found its way into dictionaries. :)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Eu quero comida! I just hope it doesn't get so bad that I start eating myself. :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
people should have the right to choose without raging theocrats chaining women to the kitchen sink, keeping them pregnant and making the father work.

That is spurious and you know it.  Just because a couple are married does not mean that both can't work. It is also thier choice whether they have children. You are confusing a culture of the past and of Catholicism where the sanctity of marriage included having as many children as possible and the man being the only bread-winner. (Which was suited to the lifestyles and quality of living of the past.)

Modern models exist where a married couple can live out life without the wife being chained to the kitchen sink or "keeping them" pregnant.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by sandwich
Eu quero comida!

Well, at least you won't starve... :D

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Well, at least you won't starve... :D

Yeah yeah, cala boca! :p :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Yeah yeah, cala boca! :p :D

Well, you'll also be able to keep your mouth shut when people tell you to... :D

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Well, you'll also be able to keep your mouth shut when people tell you to... :D

:D

I could go on, but the only other phrase I remember would be "te amo", and I don't think that that would be quite appropriate... :p :lol:

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!

:D

I could go on, but the only other phrase I remember would be "te amo", and I don't think that that would be quite appropriate... :p :lol:

Now even I know what that means. I agree that...well, maybe you shouldn't be telling each other that unless you really mean it. :lol:

:wakka:

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man

Yes it is, it's just that it's such old slang it's found its way into dictionaries. :)

Both words seperate are not slang, combined they form a phrase. If you meant to say they "were" slang, you may be correct, english is such a colourful language.
Got Ether?

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
I'll never understand why slang phrases aren't considered legit. Where do we think all these word came from?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Now even I know what that means. I agree that...well, maybe you shouldn't be telling each other that unless you really mean it. :lol:

:wakka:

Yes, well that was the very first phrase I, ummm... was taught... :D ;)

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!
Originally posted by Blue Lion
I'll never understand why slang phrases aren't considered legit. Where do we think all these word came from?

From a descriptivist linguistic viewpoint all new words are considered legit, even "jkjhhy". After all, it's not like we have a council of wordmakers. If the language isn't allowed to be changed by the people who use it, it willstop reflecting societal experience and people will stop using it.

Take a look at Latin, for example.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer

From a descriptivist linguistic viewpoint all new words are considered legit, even "jkjhhy". After all, it's not like we have a council of wordmakers. If the language isn't allowed to be changed by the people who use it, it willstop reflecting societal experience and people will stop using it.

Take a look at Latin, for example.

My point, thank you ;)

I got people telling me "That isn't a word!"

Am I gonna be arrested by the Word Police? I said it, doesn't that make it a word?

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!
Originally posted by Blue Lion
Am I gonna be arrested by the Word Police? I said it, doesn't that make it a word?

Unfortunately, I cannot stop the power of the Word Poli---

HALT. THIS IS THE WORD POLICE. YOU WILL CEASE THE USE OF NON-STANDARD VERB FORMS AT ONCE AND SURRENDER YOURSELF.

Run, Blue Lion, ruuuuuunnnn.....

:p