Author Topic: My pit for Freespace 2  (Read 13684 times)

My pit for Freespace 2
Here is my pit for Freespace 2. It has a 39" monitor, Trackir, 24" touchscreen running Helios, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals,  and Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS.  Thanks for all those that had contributed to the Freespace Open project (s). I will enjoy playing a lot of missions this winter when the snow flies.

Here are some snapshots of the Helios touchscreen

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:03:38 am by OverDhill »

Offline Luis Dias

I just hate rich people! :D

(don't worry, I'm just jeallouz :))

Thanks... but far from rich. I just don't have that many hobbies or vices... hahaha

I am retired so I have more time than money so I wait for deals.

I use this pit for Falcon BMS (free), IL-2 STURMOVIK and Rise of Flight.  But I really like space combat sims and can't wait to see Star Citizen. I am hoping it has extractable cockpit gauges as that is where the virtual cockpit touchscreen shines.

I will also be playing B5 Project when I get done with FS2 campaigns.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:08:20 am by OverDhill »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Wow, this is really cool. :)

(I like the red self-destruct switch front-and-center. :p)

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
How does FSO recognize all of this as one controller?  Are you using PPJoy or some other utility?
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Lorric

Heh. Enjoy yourself! :nod:

How does FSO recognize all of this as one controller?  Are you using PPJoy or some other utility?

I use PPJoy (combine axes and 16 buttons) as well as Xpadder (for the all the extra buttons). Helios sends button keystrokes from the touchscreen PC to the main PC with a small keysend utility. There is a new utility like PPJoy that doesn't require you to run Win7 in test mode but I have not tried it yet.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Holy ****.  :eek2: So jealous.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
oops, sorry, i've totally forgotten to answer your PM about this stuff :(
but it seems as you have set up everything all right!
i must say, this is way too cool
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Does you has gaming chair?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Nope.... I do have a Steelcase computer chair that was originally around $700 and I paid $25 for it from a place going out business. Nice and comfortable.

I got the idea for using PVC pipe for the pit frame from this place.  I did my own design for the HOTAS and 24" touchscreen support.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7unF2tIXDs

oops, sorry, i've totally forgotten to answer your PM about this stuff :(
but it seems as you have set up everything all right!
i must say, this is way too cool

Yeah Google Image is your friend... did a few searches to come up with the PNG for the cockpit that was used as part of the Generic Cockpit MOD. Once I have played Freespace 2 and FreeSpace Port and Silent Threat Reborn I will proceed with the other campaigns down the road and will see what cockpits are available.  I know Blue Planet 1&2 have working cockpits.  I am sure I will not get to all the campaigns but will play what you guys consider the best before moving on to Babylon 5 Project. Also might look into multiplayer when I get better at the controls.

I have been really gathering up all the latest files and MODS this past few months as I travel and want to have it all ready when the weather turns bad and we stay inside more. I am sure the controls will be tweaked as I learn what is the higher priority.

I think I have all the options set for maximum graphics quality. I get around 120 FPS at the moment.

If anyone has any tips or tricks to squeeze the ultimate best out of Freespace 2 I would be glad to hear them. I have a Nvidia  660 Super Clocked graphics card so I have used the Nvidia control panel to tweak it as well.

I can't thank all of you enough for the hard work you have put into this and for all the help. This is a great forum.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Quote from: OverDhill link=topic=85509.msg1710055#msg1710055
There is a new utility like PPJoy that doesn't require you to run Win7 in test mode but I have not tried it yet.

What utility is that?

Quote from: OverDhill link=topic=85509.msg1710055#msg1710055
There is a new utility like PPJoy that doesn't require you to run Win7 in test mode but I have not tried it yet.

What utility is that?

this is it.... if it works let us know

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vjoystick/

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Does the self-destruct button...work (in singleplayer)?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Does the self-destruct button...work (in singleplayer)?

It better come with a working ejection seat while you're at it.

Edit: Also, awesome pit, this is pretty much the sort of ideal set up I'd love to have for myself if I had the space, time and money for it, good to see the newer cockpit being used well for this purpose too.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Dude! That's really cool! Jealous. :nod:
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

For those interested here is a couple of my other Helios skins for some of the other sims I play

IL-2

Lockon Flaming Cliffs 2

Falcon BMS

And another long time hobby of mine is my home automation project

http://cocoontech.com/forums/blog/8/entry-119-nowplaying-2012-showcase/

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
Ooh big red button
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Thanks for sharing this is awesome. I am jealous. I have used hidmacros in the past but this is way better.