Author Topic: UEFg Murugan: Esarai's HLP Modding Contest Entry (v0.9 RELEASED!)  (Read 19701 times)

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Re: UEF Murugan: Esarai's troubled HLP Modding Contest Entry (Still WIP)
As far as the model and textures go it's done.  I just need to pof and table it but I can't because PCS2 and Blender had a falling out and I didn't get the memo until they set the house on fire.  :(
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
uhuhuhu, got cannon?  :cool:
el hombre vicio...

Offline majorvader111

• Don't Puckle With Shuckles
As far as the model and textures go it's done.  I just need to pof and table it but I can't because PCS2 and Blender had a falling out and I didn't get the memo until they set the house on fire.  :(

Cool are you able to give me a pm once its all finished.
STRAYA... Home of Death, Trash Internet & The Police State Downunder.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Would have been criminal to deny this beauty entry because of technical glitches - hence the extension. Good luck Esarai!
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Whoa

A million thanks, Black Wolf!  An extra two weeks is relieving.  Have worked a lot tonight, technical issues persist.  Thought I had them solved, but plan failed and I can't see a method to the madness.

• Texture slots missing: Exactly what it says.  Murugan uses 5 texture slots: 2 main maps, 2 damage maps and DocTile6 for debris glows.  Of these, only two appear, and are mapped onto all objects.  I have tried every iteration of the export settings I can think of, I have applied materials to all faces assigned to each UV and still, the problem persists.
  • Several turrets are imported with no firepoints, despite having a clearly defined helper-firepoints-firepoint hierarchy.  Unsure of cause or possible routes to solve other than manual input.
  • Several turrets have firepoints appended as if their helper object had no rotation.  This means the non-vertical VLS systems have misaligned firepoints, despite their helper having proper rotation defined.
  • Subsystem debris not importing. Solved! Improperly formatted subobject name.  Subsystem debris is not mentioned in the wiki and it's been a while.

The 2nd and 3rd item are inconsequential--alternate routes exist.  Primary concern is first issue, improper conversion of UV data.  Is it against the spirit of the competition to ask for help on this issue?  I have just one more idea for a fix before I'm at my wit's end.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:34:51 pm by esarai »
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
The 2nd and 3rd item are inconsequential--alternate routes exist.  Primary concern is first issue, improper conversion of UV data.  Is it against the spirit of the competition to ask for help on this issue?  I have just one more idea for a fix before I'm at my wit's end.

Not even slightly. The spirit of the competition - or at least the intent - was to increase the pool of available models. One way to do that is to increase the skillsets of the community's modelers. Not asking for help would be further from the spirit I say!
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Grate job on the model. The problem your having sounds a lot like the one I had with blender awhile back when I tried to use a newer version. I had to down grade back to blender 2.63 to get all of my textures to show up in game.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
this might sound stupid to a well known modeller like you, but check lepanto's model thread, the dagger and I have pretty much given instructions how to solve that exact exporting problem there
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Right on, BW.

Thanks for the tip, joe.  I still have a copy of 2.63 floating around (since I overwrote 2.49 like a derp when I installed 2.68a), so I'm definitely trying that.

fightermedic, thanks for the pointer.  Read thread.  Had a similar idea while going to bed last night, probably would not have worked--involved using the facetexture (name?) option instead of a legit image texture.  Thanks for the proper way to do it.  I've been fiddling with the export options and my data shows that by all means Copy should not be checked.  In my testing it was one of the options that was certain to leave the model with no textures at all, but this was before proper material application.  Might change.  And no advice is stupid.  I've hit so many errors before, I've come to expect hiccups... just this time seems to have gone maximum derp.

UPDATE!!! UVs successful.  And yes, Copy must be selected, otherwise the materials have no UV data input.  Now to figure out why the turrets are wonking.

DOUBLE UPDATE!!! Found turret firepoint issues.  All helperXX and firepointXX objects MUST HAVE NO ROTATION.  Also, it is prudent to set your firepoints helper to the object center of the multipart barrels as PCS2 applies the firepoints relative to the arm, not the turret base.

Also I added a blip on the Blender to POF Conversions page about how to do live debris.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 08:43:09 am by esarai »

Offline majorvader111

• Don't Puckle With Shuckles
Right on, BW.

Thanks for the tip, joe.  I still have a copy of 2.63 floating around (since I overwrote 2.49 like a derp when I installed 2.68a), so I'm definitely trying that.

fightermedic, thanks for the pointer.  Read thread.  Had a similar idea while going to bed last night, probably would not have worked--involved using the facetexture (name?) option instead of a legit image texture.  Thanks for the proper way to do it.  I've been fiddling with the export options and my data shows that by all means Copy should not be checked.  In my testing it was one of the options that was certain to leave the model with no textures at all, but this was before proper material application.  Might change.  And no advice is stupid.  I've hit so many errors before, I've come to expect hiccups... just this time seems to have gone maximum derp.

UPDATE!!! UVs successful.  And yes, Copy must be selected, otherwise the materials have no UV data input.  Now to figure out why the turrets are wonking.

DOUBLE UPDATE!!! Found turret firepoint issues.  All helperXX and firepointXX objects MUST HAVE NO ROTATION.  Also, it is prudent to set your firepoints helper to the object center of the multipart barrels as PCS2 applies the firepoints relative to the arm, not the turret base.

Also I added a blip on the Blender to POF Conversions page about how to do live debris.

Cool Looking forward for release
STRAYA... Home of Death, Trash Internet & The Police State Downunder.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Neat. How big is it going to be?

Offline Darius

Colossus sized.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Wait, so this is really gonna be a fighter? with turrets and big canons?
el hombre vicio...

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
It's UEF for Federation, not Fighter.  Just like the Colossus was GTVA, not GTVC or GTVCl or something derpy like that.  It can be anything we want.

And while I have neutralized many of the issues, the destroyed subobjects insist on being stupid still, mismapping texture assignments.  Process bug hunting continues.

Also having issues with subsystem linking.  For some odd reason, a subobject called 'slider1a,' when given $special = subsystem in PCS2 and a $Subsystem: entry in the table specifying the name 'slider1a' throws a 'invalid subobject number, this happens when it's in the table and not the model' error and IT. IS. IN. THE. MODEL.

RRRRGGGGHHHHH  :mad:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:25:20 am by esarai »

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Part name ending in 'a'... nub guess: maybe it's interpreting it as a LOD thing?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Even if its interpreting it as a LOD thing, the LOD0 subobject is still [subsystem name]a, and that is the name that goes into the tables.
The only reason FSO should be confused about it if it was [subsystem name]b etc, but seeing as if you "accidentally" put $special = subsystem for alt LODs and omit them from the table, FSO will complain that you forgot to table in some subsystems (aka. this happens when it;s on the model and not the table), I doubt this is the issue at all.

It seems to be the reverse, FSO can't find the subsystem (listed in the tables) on the model.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Which is strange as hell because the names are identical.

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Something that helped with similar bugs in the Ravenna:

Go to PCS2. Purge Cache. Delete everything in the subobject property box. MAKE SURE you delete the stray paragraphs that sometimes crop up. Write it again. Save.
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline crizza

What happened to the trench like opening at the prow? I thought this would be some sort of launch bay.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Hello BSP my old friend,
I've come to purge you yet again
because an error softly creeping
left its seeds while I was loading
and the text that was planted in my log
still remains
amid the sound of warnings.

About the trench, this ship was never meant to have a fighter bay, although that could make for a very badass launch sequence.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 11:14:49 am by esarai »