Author Topic: UEFg Murugan: Esarai's HLP Modding Contest Entry (v0.9 RELEASED!)  (Read 19699 times)

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Re: UEFg Murugan: Esarai's HLP Modding Contest Entry (v0.9 RELEASED!)
MEGA DERRRRRP.  File updated.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Oh Esarai, my 3d god, mm...may I dare to speak to you? Semper laudata tua magnificentia, semper laudata tua tridimensionalis sapientia... but two couples of those inverted russian-like fore missile launchers seem to be obstructed by the ship's structures!  :o ... :)  (if they are launchers of course...). Anyway it's a fantastic ship! congrats for your victory in the modelling contest! ;)  :yes:

A little OT: I had a look to the Horizon on p3d.in and I saw the big reactor you placed inside and it's full of warped pipes and other curvy stuff. How did you manage to keep the overall poly count at acceptable values? I'm struggling with warped pipes on my ship, because they push the number of facets to unacceptable values? Your p3d poly counter says the Horizon is 85400 and that's a dreadnought; my ship (here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=84699.0) is a frigate and it's over 125000 polys. What am I doing wrong?

That reactor was a) unfinished and b) detailboxed, iirc
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
I think the primary difference is how many longitudinal subdivisions we used.  I'm looking at several of your forward railguns and there are a lot of subdivisions length-wise, but given the nature of their design there's not much to be done about that without making them look really derpy.  I'd watch out for any unnecessary subdivisions.  On their front-most faces there's an edge cutting a ring in half that doesn't need to be there. 

Also, looking at the engine/subsystem greebling, that's a bloody fantastic job you're doing in there, just don't have 12 subdivisions down pipe segments that are straight.  Those can all be represented by 1 continuous cylinder until they reach the curves.  Also, you can dial back the azimuthal edge count for smaller pipes and it'll still look fine.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Thank you for your advices! I fixed the cylinders' subdivisions where they were unnecessary. I'll soon address the railguns issue too.

OT closed, thanks!  :D

i hope one day knows something to make that class of giant and beutiful ships, for now.. i stay with my blender cube.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I've released a shielded pof version of the Murugan, as well as the PBR reflective map (the reason I don't make unlit/AO maps that I don't have any raw PNG textures, including Blender-generated AO, that Esarai have). When Esarai first made the post three years ago, FSO didn't implement PBR at the time. Now, with PBR, realistic things are happening. It is available here in my Dropbox:

https://db.tt/Ay3pPwMyyJ

EDIT: It requires the full pack, which can get it here.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:07:07 am by Bryan See »
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...