Author Topic: Am I Evil?  (Read 3236 times)

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
I figured out that I am pretty much the antithesis of gaming.  I haven't enjoyed playing a long, long time.  To be honest, I played a user made campaign in 2001 (for FS1).  It blew chunks on my dashboard, and I haven't played one since.  I play to test the missions that I build.  I will play a game for fun for a little while...then I get bored with it.  I enjoy building stuff for freespace.  That's fun to me.  I don't much enjoy playing it though. 

Anyone else in my boat, or do I row alone?
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I've been having something like that, too. Building a modpack, with a fancy ballistic gun selection and pretty models (Scooby Doo's and Steve-O's are good), plus cutting-edge FSO features is fun. But I'm rarely playing these days, unless a campaign is very well made and novel in some way. This might be because I pretty much moved on to simulators, basic FS gameplay, being rather simplistic in comparison is of little interest to me. You might've noticed I stopped volunteering for betas lately, though I'm still modding from time to time, and even FREDed a mission lately.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
its called getting old.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Heh, it happens.  I started the 'player to modder' transition in high school, when most of the time I played with the engine was testing my own missions or models.  I still really enjoyed a lot of the single-player campaigns (Derelict, BP, WoD), but most of my time is spent modeling or trying to survive college.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I modded and fredded my ickle heart out from 98 to 2003 but I rarely boot up my tower, I've not played anything post diaspora. Or diaspora :nervous:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Somewhat there. I guess that when you become a modder most of your time slips away in modding.
I happen to 'think' of playing a campaign as a chore of some kind, not that I don't enjoy it, it's just thats how it feels. I need to press myself to play and finish one.
el hombre vicio...

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
I know what you mean... I have more fun with Blender than with FSO  :blah:. The fact that I suck as a pilot doesn't help either.
I guess you'll find lots of people here that share these feelings, it's a modding community after all. I do think that there is a whole bunch of people who just enjoy playing, it's just that they don't hang here as much.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Some kids build their LEGO sets based on instructions and then play with the cars, ships, and airplanes that the sets provide instructions for.

Some kids build things they imagine with LEGO blocks and hardly spend any time "playing with" what they create.

There's a very much continuous spectrum between these two points where most kids start with making sets based on instructions, then start making their own constructs and stuff, but also occasionally build the instruction-based sets and even play with the resulting toys. The ratio between creation and playing with the sets seems to be a personality thing.

Just out of interest, if you ever had LEGO blocks as a kid - how did you play with them?
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
my lego motor pool is under driven. too lazy to finish programming the firmware for my custom radio board.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Just out of interest, if you ever had LEGO blocks as a kid - how did you play with them?

I'd usually build what I bought via instructions, then later dismantle them to combine pieces from other sets for a crazier design

Then my brother and I would create an entire impromptu story to carry out for several hours which sometimes carry on to the next. Each new thing we built was incorporated somehow in an interesting fashion

Which is the same way I treat my games. Usually I play them as intended, then create things within them to do to further their life. Haven't done much in the way of mods myself, but that's mainly because of laziness and lack of motivation
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 03:18:03 pm by deathfun »
"No"

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
Lego's came with instructions?   I just built stuff out of em.
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Some kids build their LEGO sets based on instructions and then play with the cars, ships, and airplanes that the sets provide instructions for.

Some kids build things they imagine with LEGO blocks and hardly spend any time "playing with" what they create.

There's a very much continuous spectrum between these two points where most kids start with making sets based on instructions, then start making their own constructs and stuff, but also occasionally build the instruction-based sets and even play with the resulting toys. The ratio between creation and playing with the sets seems to be a personality thing.

All the time.
I'd build shiot, destroy it, build more ****, destroy it...and so on.

Occasionaly something that I really liked lasted for a few days. But frak it, I needed the parts for my Next Best Thing.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I was completely the first kid you mentioned.  I always followed the instructions to the letter, then played with the resulting sets...if said playing involved smashing them to hell, I'd pull out the instructions and build them the "correct" way again.  My youngest brothers were the exact opposite, and would build whatever the hell they wanted with their sets, which always frustrated me on some level. :lol: I don't consider myself creatively-driven in any real sense today: I don't have any missions I want to FRED or any ships I want to model, even though I could probably figure out the technical aspects of either one, and I don't write stories or draw or make music or anything of that nature.  Even in Minecraft, about the pinnacle of free creativity, I tend to have much more fun exploring and living in the world than I do building all sorts of crazy things.  The stuff I do build tends to be (at least to me) rather uninspired, and I take forever to get anything done.

As far as FS is concerned, it's been a long time since I've picked up the game, but that's far more due to having so many other games in my backlog/continuously-playing list that I just haven't found time to slot it in.  I know I'll get the itch one of these weeks and start going through a tear of all the recent stuff I've missed.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i kinda did both. i had pretty much every space set made throughout the 90s (and some from the 80s). i usually spent several weeks building a large fleet of ships. when i eventually ran low on parts i would have a lego battle where id smash ships into eachother making a huge mess. of course this was more to free up parts for new ideas than to play with them. somewhere i started doing technics exclusively, i liked building machines that actually did something rather than ships that just looked cool. gave all the space sets to my sister (who lost all of them somewhere). but i still have all my technic sets and the mindstorms sets as well. its actually a really powerful robotics platform when combined with custom electronics.

Nuke's Scripting SVN