Author Topic: InsaneBaron's Reviews: The Ransom Series (Finished!)  (Read 14340 times)

Offline Lorric

Re: InsaneBaron's Reviews: The Ransom Series (Part 2!)
Would you say "Homesick" is the same type of campaign as Transcend/Sync?  I think so, even though it leans slightly more toward traditional FS gameplay.

I haven't actually played Homesick, unfortunately. I tried, but it's very out of date and not properly configured; it lack a mod.ini and other files needed by the launcher.

Try mine. I've attached it. It certainly has a mod.ini, and worked fine for me back when I was playing ver. 3.6.12.

Still not working. Sorry Lorric, not sure what the problem is. FSO starts fine but Homesick isn't in the campaign room.

EDIT: Wait... ok, the files in the .rar are set up very weirdly. First, there's a "Homesick" folder. inside that is a "data" folder, which contains the tables, and a second "Homesick" folder. All well and good. But the second "Homesick" folder contains a complete copy of the mod, including a second "data" folder with duplicated tables and a third "Homesick" folder that DOES contain the VPs, mod.ini, et cetera. Fractal folders! I'll try installing just the second "Homesick" folder and see what happens.

EDIT OF EDIT: It worked! Thanks Lorric! Just played the first mission, "Smart-Casual, Minimum Wage"; loved the briefing and dialogue. (and the recommendations... :P

EDITMANIA!!!: AAAAND it stopped working. Big chain of bugs with the first red-alert. Ghai!  :mad:

@Mongoose: Interesting, I didn't know that. Like I said, Transcend would need really good voice acting to do it justice, but it could be done.
Did you ever VA anything else I've played? (Blue Planet, Derelict, Warzone...)

MORE EDIT: Actually, I just beat "The Antagonist", and you were in the credits. That mod had good voice acting; who did you act?
You're welcome. I'm glad it worked for you, you seem happy. :)

Surely you are not talking about what I sent you having folders within folders, I checked the .rar file which I hadn't deleted yet, and it has just one folder, which contains everything else, no more folders.

It may have created a new folder to put the Homesick folder inside though when you took it out. I've noticed it does that for me when I take things out of .rar files. So I always have to go into the folder, cut out the folder inside, delete the now empty folder, and paste the cut out in. But that still doesn't explain the third folder. Unless it put the contents inside your current Homesick folder with the Homesick mod that doesn't work for you. That might account for the presence of three folders.

Anyway, you sorted it out so it did what it was supposed to do in the end whatever happened. :D

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Actually, as I mentioned, it jammed up on "Pirates Attack!". Beta, for some reason, were all dead on mission start, which broke the beginning dialogue (half a conversation) and made the mission excruciatingly hard.

I appreciate the effort, though!
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Lorric

Actually, as I mentioned, it jammed up on "Pirates Attack!". Beta, for some reason, were all dead on mission start, which broke the beginning dialogue (half a conversation) and made the mission excruciatingly hard.

I appreciate the effort, though!
Hmmm, if you're talking about Red Alert, that is a bug that's always been known. I don't know if that will happen to you all the time, but Red Alert is known to be glitched. It made me have to play Wings of Dawn all over again, but it worked the second time.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Ah well. I could try and beat it via techroom, I guess.

Anyway, I think we're derailing my thread a little. If I can get Homesick to work, maybe I'll do a review of it.

Windmills segment should be ready soon!
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline CT27

I will say I like Transcend's ending the best of the three comparable campaigns (Homesick, Sync, and Transcend).  It is the only one even close to resembling a happy ending (I don't want grimdark endings in all campaigns).  Sync's ending was a cliffhanger (though to be fair I heard a rumor another chapter might be getting made).  Homesick's ending was very unsatisfying left a sour taste (a pity considering I liked the campaign).

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
I will say I like Transcend's ending the best of the three comparable campaigns (Homesick, Sync, and Transcend).  It is the only one even close to resembling a happy ending (I don't want grimdark endings in all campaigns).  Sync's ending was a cliffhanger (though to be fair I heard a rumor another chapter might be getting made).  Homesick's ending was very unsatisfying left a sour taste (a pity considering I liked the campaign).

I agree wholeheartedly; Sync kinda dropped off abruptly and screamed for a sequel. One of the advantages to Transcend was, rather than simply having the player "along for the ride", it pitted you against the bizzare powers at work and gave you a chance to accomplish/win something. Sync's Alpha One was a viewpoint character on a railroaded adventure, while Transcend's Sunder Marcel was the story's hero. This was one factor that made Transcend more effective plotwise.

Side note: alot  <- What on earth is that? It sneaked it's way into my review! :P

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Side note: alot  <- What on earth is that? It sneaked it's way into my review! :P

That's an alot.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
But why are there alot alot alot alot in HLP? And more importantly, why don't we have something like this for Shivans? Carl commands it!

Offline Lorric

I have a friend, who is better than me when it comes to grammar, but for some reason every single time writes "alot".

I don't like the creature.

But if you must have something, I don't know how to link to it, because I don't know how to find it, but I have seen a smiley which is grinning and holding up a sign which says "I can't spell a lot". How about that instead of this thing that no one will know what it is.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Ha ha ha.

It used to be that things like that had signs saying "I can't spell "a lot" or "I can't spell turret". Enforced spelling.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It used to be this:

But I figured I would change it to the alot to see if it would be any more effective.

By the way, "turrent" still produces .

Offline Lorric

It used to be this:

But I figured I would change it to the alot to see if it would be any more effective.

By the way, "turrent" still produces .
Heh. It was on HLP all along, eh? I just knew I'd seen it somewhere. :)

Can we have it back please? I don't know about you, but I can't recall having seen it often at all, surely it's not that big of a problem?

I've never even heard of the turret/turrent thing.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I also prefer the sign one.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
the alot is adorable, keep it
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
the alot is adorable, keep it

So this thread has gone from a discussion of my reviews of Sync and Transcend, to a discussion of my trouble getting Homesick to work, to a discussion of HLP's punishments for bad spelling :P

Windmills part will be finished Monday/Tuesday, hopefully.

And unless I'm more out of it than most people, alot of people probably won't get the alot. However, forcing them to investigate the cute critter in their posts might call attention to the typos...

Offline Lorric

Cute? I think it's very ugly.

I've never even heard of Windmills before. I guess I'll end up talking about them all when the time comes.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Cute? I think it's very ugly.

I've never even heard of Windmills before. I guess I'll end up talking about them all when the time comes.

Well, you can learn about it now, because it's posted! :)

Offline CT27

Re: InsaneBaron's Reviews: The Ransom Series (Part 3!)
Even though I'm not crazy about the campaigns themselves, I enjoy your reviews.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Re: InsaneBaron's Reviews: The Ransom Series (Part 3!)
Even though I'm not crazy about the campaigns themselves, I enjoy your reviews.

For me, that's a success in itself :P Thanks!

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Re: InsaneBaron's Reviews: The Ransom Series (Finished!)
The megareview is finished!