Author Topic: BattleTech LP: Hard Light Marines  (Read 53108 times)

Re: BattleTech LP: Hard Light Marines
I like that house rule, more units means more options and more firepower.

Scourge's Log: I'll admit, I was a little nervous about this battle. It was my first command, so I wanted to take it nice and slow, cautious-like. I've heard stories about tank companies going head-to-head with mech lances, and... two legs usually beats none.
Which is why we were careful. And when Deathfun scored that first lucky hit on the Vulcan, I was thrilled.
Man, we spanked 'em good. Our Capellan ally ran interference, and my boys (and girls) rolled up and pummeled everything to dust. It was a thing of beauty.

Things got a little hairy when the girls' Scorpion got hit in the engine, but they made it out OK after the laser hit. Good thing it wasn't an AC round, or things may have gotten explodey instead of just melty.

EDIT: The Manticore took some hits, and I got a hurt in a lucky hit to the viewport, but all things considered, some lost flesh and broken bones and a tiny bit of dain bramage aren't that bad. Plus scars are cool, right? Also ow.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 04:53:18 pm by Scourge of Ages »

Offline Patriot

Oh, i forgot to mention Scourge, you're in sickbay until further notice, you took 5 hits :P

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The Rifleman proved to be salvage-worthy(hence why i know it was absolutely ripped to shreds..) and is now Trashman's assigned mech, lacking anything better, but it'll be a while before it's combat ready, parts are proving to be slow in arriving lately.

I was under impression that the Rifleman is a good, long-rane sniping mech.

Which variant did we salvage btw? (hoping for 8d or 7x)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:30:57 am by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Odds are a -3N.

The Rifleman is a pair of Large Lasers stapled to a cardboard box in 3025, and by 3050 it shouldn't be much better.  The variants you're talking about are easily twenty years down the line.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Still...a pair of large lasers.
With the luck as it is, long-range engagments where you have the damage and precision advantage are what I'd perfer.

Offline Patriot

Precision is purely up to the person using the weapon, and on what the target is doing, a certain amount of hexes moved puts up a higher to-hit target for the person to reach, which means less chance of hitting.

And it is indeed a 3N, Pirates don't have access to any decent tech as their mech tables are from 3028, which is the year the Helm Memory Core was collected by the Grey Death Legion. That Memory Core held information about Pulse Lasers, Extended Range Lasers and PPCs and many other advanced technologies.

So, Pirates have access to basic, for lack of a better term, technology, while we as a merc unit will end up having access to everything, depending on Unit rating and/or contract we're on(or lack of a contract, even).

So currently, we have access to level 3 technology, which includes standard lasers(thank the maker) and even some LosTech(which is what the tech in the Helm Core is referred to) including, but not limited to, Ultra AC/5s, LB-10Xs, Gauss Rifles(oddly enough, these things are level 2 tech) and some electronic warfare equipment(though the ECM or Active Probe isn't listed, i'm treating them as equals at level 3). The only weapons we have no access to yet are Extended Range energy weapons(Lasers at 4, PPCs at 5) and Pulse Lasers. Also a few advanced Fusion Engines are unavailable to us, notably the XL type(though some of our mechs do have these, and i haven't fluffed it out properly, but it's because Scotty and me are veterans of another Merc Company that got decimated during the war of 3039 and have been trying to build up this merc unit ever since, succeeding in late 3049)
The XL Engines are the only engine available in terms of timeline, they help certain mech designs in the weight department, clearing up tonnage for more armor and/or weapons.

Also, a round 10 update.

So far IronBeer is the only one to grab a kill for the named MechWarriors. He can proudly call himself a Mooktank killer, having bagged him a Vedette.
Two of our no-names have bagged an OstScout and a Scorpion Tank. Our Capellan allies have sent us another vindicator and a hunchback to help out, the hunchback nailed a Spider in the CT with his AC/20(prime salvage, StarSlayer's ride if he wants to get back into this).

So far, we've sustained minor damage, except for our no-name Shadow Hawk driver, who's been damaged quite a bit thanks to the enemy OstSol(their only Heavy Mech, heaviest of their Mech units to boot).

The enemy's forces are mostly comprised of Tanks, with a hovercraft that got absolutely murdered in round 2, sadly not by Sparda, who was lined up to kick it to death, but the Vindicator stole that from him.

We got lucky on the enemy lance rolls, only 1 assault lance and it was a vehicle lance, with a Demolisher, Partisan, Zhukov and a Manticore making up that particular lance.
Most of the tanks are either Vedettes or Scorpions, so we're fine, really.

I invoked a little turnaround of the enemy Medium lance though, which was their only pure Mech lance, i rolled for 1 Light and 3 Mediums, but i turned that Light into a Heavy(hence the OstSol) because there were already two Light Mechs, though the Vulcan can be counted as such(such poor armor doesn't deserve to be called Medium)

In any case, everything's going just dandy so far.

Offline Patriot

Double post for post-battle stats

Kills:

Patriot: SRM Carrier #2, Scorpion #2
Dragon: Bulldog, Demolisher
IronBeer: Vedette #1, Zhukov Heavy Tank
Sparda: Manticore Heavy Tank, Centurion, SRM Carrier #1
No-name Quickdraw: Ostscout(Headkick), Vulcan
No-name Warhammer: Scorpion #3, Vedette #2
No-name ShadowHawk: OstSol, Pike Support Vehicle

We only lost our Griffin, which failed a DFA and detonated it's LRM ammo, so we lost that.

We salvaged, in repairable condition mind you, the Ostsol and Ostscout. Selling the Ostscout because it's meh, the OstSol however, is for Polpolion once it gets repaired. This way, Esarai can inherit his Wolverine, keeping the Javelin as a spare unit(no, Griffin pilot ain't gettin it)
Lemme know if you'd like that mech Polly, it's not a bad mech, but it could do with some DHS, which shouldn't be too much trouble.

Also, 1st of the month!

Open Market, decided to go purely vehicles here:

Vedette +5%
SRM Carrier +15%
Condor Liao Variant -5% <-- has 4 Medium Lasers instead of an AC5, MG and 2 Med Lasers.

Merc Market, went with the division of 3 vehicles(as i wasn't too happy with the choice of the Open Market) and 6 Mechs(to see if there's anything in there worth picking up)

Vedette -10%
Schrek PPC Carrier -30%
Partisan -10%

Longbow -20%
Phoenix Hawk -10%
Spider at cost
Flea(15 model) -5%
Grasshopper -30%
Vulcan at cost

These are our choices for this month, the Shreck PPC Carrier is practically being given away at a 30% discount, and so is the Grasshopper, which isn't a half bad heavy mech. I kinda like the Flea, so i'm thinking we should pick that up, and the Spider too. The Partisan might be a good investment too.

Gimme your preferences, but keep in mind we NEED at least 1 tank to replace the Scorpion that got blown up earlier. We also kinda need a new mech for our Griffin pilot, but i don't see anything in the Medium category that fits the bill(No Pixies plz)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:24:01 pm by Patriot »

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Since I've got a reduced chance of actually driving any of these machines, my input should be considered advisory opinion at best. That said, I agree with most of the purchase picks: the Schrek and Partisan look pretty good for tanks, and having another heavy frame in the Grasshopper certainly can't hurt. However, I don't see why we should bother with the Flea- the Condor hovertank is cheaper, faster, and better-armed/armored. I'm also not particularly thrilled by the Spider, but if it's at cost I suppose I can't complain too much.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Patriot

Well, the Flea and Spider are speedy mechs, both armed with 2 Med Lasers, though the Flea has more weapons than that.
I want these two mechs because i'm wanting to do other battles than Stand Up fights, Chases, Breakthroughs and Hold The Line missions, and these two mechs help us achieve that goal(basically, turning a lance into a Scout Lance instead of Fight Lance)

Both mechs would need some modifications to be a bit better than just scout mechs, i do like to not loose any units :P

I'd like to also recommend the Schrek, that thing seems like a beast, and you can't beat the discount.

Hey Deathfun, do you want your own command? Feel free to pick a tank, any tank. Or you can keep gunning with me.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
IMO, the Partisan runs out of ammo too fast, with only 10x shots per AC/5.  The 5x AC/2 (ranged sniping) or 4x LRM15 (expensive firepower!!) variants are more interesting though.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
IMO, the Partisan runs out of ammo too fast, with only 10x shots per AC/5.  The 5x AC/2 (ranged sniping) or 4x LRM15 (expensive firepower!!) variants are more interesting though.
As one of the designers of the "DakkaMaster", I can wholeheartedly vouch for the awesome firepower of massed AC/2 batteries.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I'd like to also recommend the Schrek, that thing seems like a beast, and you can't beat the discount.

Hey Deathfun, do you want your own command? Feel free to pick a tank, any tank. Or you can keep gunning with me.

If you keep us out of mud, I'm cool with you at the helm
"No"

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I trust whatever choices you make Patriot.
You understand this game better than I do anyway.

Offline Patriot

Right, bought the Schrek, the Flea and the Grasshopper.

Still plenty of cash available for the unexpected.

And about to do 3rd's battle of this week, cross your fingers and wish the boys luck!

EDIT: 3rd didn't make an ass out of itself this time.

They were chasing a tank column, covered by some fast movin mechs.
It was raining steadily, turning the ground into a muddy muck.
Most enemy tanks were Scorpions, but there were some hover tanks, like a Pegasus.
Said Pegasus drowned itself after a skid into a lake, bwahahah.

Kills:

Polly: Wasp #1, Scorpion #1, Scorpion #3
Esarai: Stinger
no-name Phoenix: Locust
no-name Hunter: Scorpion #2

Salvage:
Pegasus Hover Tank
LCT-1E
STG-3G

Esarai's Javelin once again bit the dust, but Esarai didn't, took 2 hits though, so infirmary for him.
Time to fix up that Ostsol so Esarai can pilot a decent mech(Wolverine baby) :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 02:41:03 pm by Patriot »

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Question: How long is infirmary time per hit sustained?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Until the unit doctor can roll a "heal" result enough times to equal the number of hits you took.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Wait, so he makes one roll and it has to be greate or equal the number of wounds?
How many rolls does he make, and how often?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
one roll can heal one wound, if you have 5 wounds you need a minimum of 5 rolls (= 5 days IIRC) to fully heal
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Patriot

There's a target that needs to be rolled, which is not the amount of injuries, it's actually the Doctor's Skill number.