Author Topic: Help with some issues  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Black-Devil

• Space Fighter
Hi everybody

I got a few questions to the SCP. Some things I found by using the search option in the forum(hope it's not suffering to much). I faced a few problems with translating and figuring out what the writer trying to tell me( I am not a native speaker or I am getting old)
OK here the questions

The VP's of the SCP are found in  the C:\Games\Freespace2\mediavps_3612. Are there all the files in it like the root.vp, effects.vp and so on or do they stay in there own folders?

As I read in an other thread I can activate only one mod at a time. My Problem is that I do not understand this discretion of the FSPort 3.4 thread: If you are using the FSPort Media VPs, be sure that you have the official FreeSpace 2 3.6.12 MediaVPs installed in 'mediavps_3612' and you're using FSO 3.6.18 Final or newer.

Do i have to copy the 3.6.12 mediavp files into the FS Portmedia folder to get both running?

Anyway you do a great job here and for myself I had a lot of Ah´s and Oh´s and Wow´s after running the SCP the first time and saw the excellent work all are doing here.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 01:13:24 pm by Black-Devil »
Do not attack Alpha ONE...

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
The P's of the SCP? What exactly? Retail VP files ought to stay in the main Freespace directory and should not be moved anywhere. MediaVP files ought to stay in their own directory and should not be mixed with VP files from retail or from any mod.

You do not have to copy the media vp files. FS Open allows for mods like FS Port to have dependencies which is the reason why you were instructed to install the mediavps to a specific directory. FS Port expects to find the media vp files from 'mediavps_3612' directory, not from anywhere else (definitions are in mod.ini files). So, once again, you do not have to copy the files over, actually i would strongly discourage against that.

So while you can have only one mod active at the time that mod can utilize assets from other mods assuming you have installed the mods as instructed.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Black-Devil

• Space Fighter
The P's of the SCP? What exactly?

Thx for the quick response

i meant the Vp´s just missing V.

With the retail VP you mean the one which are installed with the Game form the DVD or from GOG version?
No i don't want to touch these.

OK perhaps my first posting explanation is too bad

i got to pic how my Freespace2 folder looks like.

in the second pic i placed an example folder (in that red square)

my mediavp_3612 folder is build up like it is in the green square and i hope this is the correct build.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 01:40:55 pm by Black-Devil »

Offline Yarn

First of all, the "fsport3_1_1" folder should be renamed to "fsport". A number of mods depend on this folder being named correctly. Also, make sure that you didn't put mv_fsport.vp or mv_fsport_music.vp in that folder; they need to go in a folder called "fsport-mediavps".

Second, what did you put in "MV_Root_Update"?
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Black-Devil

• Space Fighter
First of all, the "fsport3_1_1" folder should be renamed to "fsport". A number of mods depend on this folder being named correctly. Also, make sure that you didn't put mv_fsport.vp or mv_fsport_music.vp in that folder; they need to go in a folder called "fsport-mediavps".

Second, what did you put in "MV_Root_Update"?

Yep , done the renaming of the folders

To the second:
I thought that the VP´s got to have a folder for their own in which is the file located. And the folder hast to be placed in the mediavps_3612 folder. due to your reaction this seems not so.

Thx for helping me out of my trouble. hope i do not cause to much.
Just getting started with the FSO and the tools.

Offline Yarn

To the second:
I thought that the VP´s got to have a folder for their own in which is the file located. And the folder hast to be placed in the mediavps_3612 folder. due to your reaction this seems not so.
All VP files that belong to a mod (including the MediaVPs) go in the mod's folder and not in a subfolder. This means that you should not make a "MV_Root_Update" folder inside "mediavps_3612" and put VP files there. If you do, the game will not use them.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Black-Devil

• Space Fighter
Thank you,
I was not sure about that thing.