Author Topic: J. Carmack Leaves Id  (Read 7267 times)

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/11/22/doom-creator-john-carmack-officially-leaves-id-software
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/22/john-carmack-departs-id-software/

I never thought I would see the day, but it does make some sense; Id has been a withering husk for quite some time now.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 06:46:39 am by An4ximandros »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
At least get his name right. Carmack joined Oculus Rift back in August, so him leaving iD now is not a surprise. And yes, iD Software has been one trick wonder, without the wonder since 90's.

Offline Mikes

Still wondering if him joining OR is good or bad for the OR guys in the long run. - for the original founders anyways.

Don't know Carmack enough to have a clue.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
And yes, iD Software has been one trick wonder, without the wonder since 90's.

iD Software is responsible for a fair number of good titles.  I think you're selling them a little short in that regard.

That being said, I don't think him sticking around would result in their games turning out for the better.

Still wondering if him joining OR is good or bad for the OR guys in the long run. - for the original founders anyways.

Don't know Carmack enough to have a clue.

Carmack is a hardware / programming genius, which should be of some benefit.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

iD Software is responsible for a fair number of good titles.  I think you're selling them a little short in that regard.

He really isn't. None of the games they made after (and arguably, including) Doom 3 have been as groundbreaking as their older stuff. Their technology has been top-notch, but the actual games they made were not that good. Solid, but not good.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Mikes

Carmack is a hardware / programming genius, which should be of some benefit.

The worry goes more along the lines whether he comes in to genuinely support the product and company or rather is intend to take it over and make it his own and what agenda does or does he not have.

I'd certainly hate to see OR turn into some kind of Android powered console as outlined here: http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/john-carmack-envisions-untethered-android-powered-oculus-rift-for-consumers-1191057

An insanely successful startup company with inexperienced founders might look like a juicy target for the legends of old? Or am I worrying too much? As said before, I've got no clue what Carmack is like.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
You might want to check out some of his recent interviews from QuakeCon.

He really isn't. None of the games they made after (and arguably, including) Doom 3 have been as groundbreaking as their older stuff. Their technology has been top-notch, but the actual games they made were not that good. Solid, but not good.

#1.  I never said that he was responsible for them.
#2.  iD Software has several titles that are 'good', and is arguably responsible for several others that are 'good'.  My contention with them being "a one trick wonder" is that they've made more than just Doom.

Quite frankly, you'll have trouble finding development teams (not publishers) that have made more good games than iD.  Rare is one of the few that spring to mind, and they've been dead/reanimated-into-an-abomination for a long time.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

#1.  I never said that he was responsible for them.
Yeah, I think you misread that. For clarification:
[Fury] really isn't [selling them short].
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
doom 3 was pretty good for what it was (an engine tech demonstrator). you could only take 'omg the graphics' so far before you get diminishing returns. as an engine idtech4 was awesome, some awesome games were built on it. it wasnt the utter disappointment that rage was (idtech5 is ok though).

carmack was all about enhancing game technology. as an engine programmer you can only go so far. eventually you end up with all the subsystems you could hope for in a game engine and find that there is just nowhere else to go. i can see why he would want to move his efforts to something thats been neglected for so long, like hmds.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 11:33:46 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
He was the Gregg Toland of gaming. There, beat that comparison.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Doom 3 was good. Dunno what came after that? Rage? I played it for about 20 minutes and haven't come back to it. Maybe it didn't help that I'd just finished Borderlands 1 before that.

I recommend that people checked out "Masters of Doom" ; pretty cool account of Romero and Carmack (and iD in general) over the years.

Offline Luis Dias

He is a programming genius and that took iD very very far ahead of the competition regarding game engines until the effort to build such game engines reached a point where entire teams of dozens of people became faster at it than one single person no matter how brilliant his efforts were. So when Epic started making their own Unreal Engines they were just applying a more efficient machine than Carmack alone could ever hope to match. And yet he did match them by some years, but come on. We now have Epic battling Crytek battling Frostbyte etc for these things to a ridiculous level of detail.

I think that he foresaw this path for iD for quite some time, and he signaled it when they were bought by Bethesda.

So good luck to him, and may he still be able to give us some revolutions :).

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
People in the future will see Doom in the same way we see things like Beowulf and Gilgamesh today.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Tel mi dhe lejend of dhe greit wario Flyn agein, fader!

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
I think its pretty awesome news. Honestly, traditional FPS gaming is now so explored genre that I dont think anything new or revolutionary can be done here. The genre Carmack started is now reaching perfection, and everything that can be done has more or less already been done.
The next big thing is going to be virtual reality - we are finally approaching the level of technology to pull it off convincingly. And Carmack knows this.

If the guy manages to bring us not one, but two revolutions (the 3D FPS revolution in the 90s and the virtual reality revolution of the 10s), he will forever be remembered as the best.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Mikes

People in the future will see Doom in the same way we see things like Beowulf and Gilgamesh today.

That's what makes me kinda sad about computer games, especially early games.

Literature and even movies age rather well, early games, especially 3d games, really do not.

(Exceptions like Infinity Engine isometric RPGs are rare.)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

Literature and even movies age rather well, early games, especially 3d games, really do not.

thing is while it is not a thing of sophistication nor a technological breakthrough Doom was the game that broke the way for FPS to become a main stream format
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

thing is while it is not a thing of sophistication nor a technological breakthrough Doom was the game that broke the way for FPS to become a main stream format

Eh, what are you talkign about? Nearly every early game Id did was a technological breakthrough.

Commander Keen introduced parallax scrolling to the PC
Wolfenstein (and or maybe Cavern Crawlers or whatnot had the 3d maze aspect)
Doom 3 added fast paced, 3d combat with non-square rooms and different elevations and such
Quake introduced 3d models and later lighting effects (ie from guns firing)
Doom 3 had great lighting as well

etcetera.

Carmack has been breaking technological barriers his whole career. That's what his interest is.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

Eh, what are you talkign about? Nearly every early game Id did was a technological breakthrough.

Commander Keen introduced parallax scrolling to the PC
Wolfenstein (and or maybe Cavern Crawlers or whatnot had the 3d maze aspect)
Doom 3 added fast paced, 3d combat with non-square rooms and different elevations and such
Quake introduced 3d models and later lighting effects (ie from guns firing)
Doom 3 had great lighting as well

etcetera.

Carmack has been breaking technological barriers his whole career. That's what his interest is.

I noticed you missed out the original doom which is what I was on about. 
The original doom/doom 2 was built on the Wolfenstine 3D engine and having played both there is not much difference between the two, the graphics were sharpened up a bit but mechanically as far as I am aware it is basically the same game.  So as I say, Doom was not Sophisticated (Its story was run around and shoot things with the occasional story screen) not was it a technological breakthrough for the above reason, (ID had done it all before with Wolfenstine 3D)
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
The original doom/doom 2 was built on the Wolfenstine 3D engine and having played both there is not much difference between the two, the graphics were sharpened up a bit but mechanically as far as I am aware it is basically the same game.
Pedantically speaking, I'd call that first statement disingenuous, though it is correct in the sense than ALL technology builds on its predecessors. Though built on similar principles (because only a lunatic would willingly abandon a proven approach), the Doom engine offered massively expanded capabilities over its older cousins. /doomnerd

Technical info:
Wolfenstein 3D Engine
Doom Rendering Engine

ed: I also feel like we're forgetting a huge question that should be asked of games, some would say the ONLY question that really should be asked of games. "Is it fun?"
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted