Author Topic: FSRPG Gameplay  (Read 2729 times)

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
I have been thinking of ways to add more depth to the game and thought of this: How about RPG elements?

You'd have:

Armor (Damage Reduction) - Armor Piercing (Bypass)

Shields (Damage Nullifying) - Shield Piercing (Bypass)

ECM (Prevents Lock-On/Increases Lock-On time [Also prevents reading of stats {Energy dist., Hp, etc}]) - ECCM (Counters ECM; surpassing it decreases lock-on time)

Evasion (Whether or not Cannons/Dumbfire Missiles Hit) And Accuracy (Counter; Topping Evasion gives +Dmg)

Something like "Feats" Ex: Veteran: + 2 to Acc. & Shld. Pierce.

And even Traits: Pacifist: - 4 Dmg. & Acc. + 8 Def. & Shld. ; Magnificent Bastard: I am become Steele +6 ECCM +2 Dmg -8 Shld.

================

What do you guys think? Is this something worth pursuing? And could the engine handle it?

================

Ideas regarding equipment tomorrow. (Basically stuff like RoF, Dmg, Shield Piercing, Armor Piercing)

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
You know, if someone would add much RPG stuff to some projects in FS, we would get... THAT: http://www.battlestar-galactica.bigpoint.com/?lang=en :P

I mean, Freespace isn't an RPG and propably won't be. From the beginning the game was set to test player's skill, agility and quick thinkig, tactics (the last is full of BP :P). The multi RPG's (^) of present test patience, and victory in them is oftenly brought only thanks to item levels. Or numerous  advantage. Items & levels aren't bad, really, but the decisive factor should be skill.

However, i wondered what would happen if we take some space-sim RPG's and combine them with Freespace. (^) These games really aren't bad but when a fighter is flying like a cruiser, there is certainly something wrong :P. The only stuff they need is Freespace-ish ship behaviour.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Its certainly (kinda) possible within a campaign, thanks to persistent variables.
I'm guessing this would also stand for co-ops?

bh

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
You know, if someone would add much RPG stuff to some projects in FS, we would get... THAT: http://www.battlestar-galactica.bigpoint.com/?lang=en :P
Ah yes, the best game since sliced bread! :P

My whole point here is to make a system to make online play (above all) interesting. So many Sims just stay with the classic system and don't do anything but add bloated weapon armories...

Part of what I want to accomplish is avoiding the "Laser I, Laser II, Laser X, revenge of the laser" system. But rather make each weapon, armor & shield have its own effect.

(EMP, kills shields for a few secs; Cluster missile, AoE; Pyrorocket, DoT; etc.)
[Shld. A absorbs tons of damage but is active and lasts 8 Secs; Shld. B is passive, but low absorption and low power consumption; Shld. C is a good passive but sucks in a lot of power when triggered; etc.)

Offline Rheyah

• Will release something one day. Promise.
Already working on something similar to this for my own campaign :)