Author Topic: The Next Great Starship - SC Contest  (Read 8870 times)

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
The Next Great Starship - SC Contest
It has begun! Witness the judges destroying the dreams of a few so they can be sacrificed to the stargods of game design.

Re: The Next Great Starship - SC Contest
Your backing dollars at work, people.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, those 30.000 dollars will be sorely missed. </sarcasm>
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

Look how once Roberts chooses one weapon over the other, the following three dudes all go "yeah I'll go with that one too". Come on people get some free will.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Lots of folks have started asking for Roberts to speak last in all further shows. Thing is, not agreeing with your boss does not pay the bills. :P

Offline Luis Dias

Jesus ****ing christ what a moronic motto that is, do people still believe in yes-men environments? I always tell my boss how I feel about stuff and he wouldn't want it any other way.

Offline Lorric

Jesus ****ing christ what a moronic motto that is, do people still believe in yes-men environments? I always tell my boss how I feel about stuff and he wouldn't want it any other way.
Well some bosses won't be challenged. You're there to do what you're told and do it with a smile on your face.

Yeah, those 30.000 dollars will be sorely missed. </sarcasm>

i know right, who would be petty enough to care about such a trifling sum
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Yes, because clearly your personality applies to everyone and your working environment is the only out there!
What a silly thing to believe otherwise! Better make angry swearing posts about it!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Yes, because clearly your personality applies to everyone and your working environment is the only out there!
What a silly thing to believe otherwise! Better make angry swearing posts about it!

right, because refusing to listen to your employees' ideas and feedback is an equally valid leadership trait.

Offline Luis Dias

I thought I was clear, I wasn't speaking about the proper behavior of an empoyee. I was talking about the proper environment an employer must create around himself.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network

We will see how the final product turns out, but $30.000 for a ship may very well be considerably cheaper than a similar ship made by professional 3D artists.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Lorric

I thought I was clear, I wasn't speaking about the proper behavior of an empoyee. I was talking about the proper environment an employer must create around himself.
That I agree with.

What is this an art contest? Or in other words a way of getting artists to do a ****load of free work in the hope of getting compensation.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
What is this an art contest? Or in other words a way of getting artists to do a ****load of free work in the hope of getting compensation.

Yeah, how despicable of them... :nervous:
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Luis Dias

Don't mind Angel, his comment was silly to the extreme. According to such a view, art contests are somehow a moral crime.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Not very clear to me. To me it reads like you think in your post that yes-men environments are a mythical thing. Like they aren't real.
I take it now that is not what you meant?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Aesaar

30k dollars is less than it would cost for them to make the ship themselves.  This is actually a pretty great way of saving money.  You get a bunch of people to present ideas and do nearly all the work, and not only does it cost you less than it would designing the ship normally, you only need to pay one team.

Since you clearly have no interest in SC, why did you bother posting in this thread at all?  Your "I don't like SC, pay attention to me!" routine is getting really old.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:55:45 pm by Aesaar »

Don't mind Angel, his comment was silly to the extreme. According to such a view, art contests are somehow a moral crime.

Are you an artist by trade? If not, then screw off.

And if you do something else would you be willing to perform your job for a week or more with only a slim chance of getting paid for it?

Professional companies should be hiring an artist to do the work. Not soliciting thousands of unpaid man-hours from the player-base.
And in this case they're not even spending their own ****ing money. They got a bunch of donations, then they asked for a bunch of free work so they can pick and choose the best and give the guy money that they were given to do the game. What a racket.

Offline Aesaar

Are you an artist by trade? If not, then screw off.

And if you do something else would you be willing to perform your job for a week or more with only a slim chance of getting paid for it?

Professional companies should be hiring an artist to do the work. Not soliciting thousands of unpaid man-hours from the player-base.
And in this case they're not even spending their own ****ing money. They got a bunch of donations, then they asked for a bunch of free work so they can pick and choose the best and give the guy money that they were given to do the game. What a racket.
Pretty sure RSI does in fact employ a number of artists.  I don't think they'd hire another for just one ship, so I don't think anyone is being deprived of paid work because of this contest.  As for the participants, they know they've only got a slim chance of getting paid.  They don't seem to have a problem with it.  Did you know that some people enjoy doing this as a hobby and don't care that much about getting paid?  If I had the skills, I'd have participated just for the chance of getting my ship ingame.

And whether someone works as a professional artist or not has no bearing whatsoever on the validity of an opinion.