Author Topic: FSO Error on Windows 7 64 bit  (Read 7788 times)

Offline Fusion

FSO Error on Windows 7 64 bit
So I downloaded Freespace 2 from GOG, installed it, then installed the latest version of FSO (3.7.0 Final), complete installation. Issue is, when I open the launcher and select a FSO version for play, I receive this error:

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

I've done everything the installer says I'm supposed to do... so why's it not working?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: FSO Error on Windows 7 64 bit
I haven't seen that particular error before, but I'm sure we can get it sorted out.  Could you post the name of the installer that you used (maybe from www.fsoinstaller.com)?  And which launcher are you using, probably 5.5g or wxLauncher?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Fusion

Used the .jar installer from fsoinstaller.com. The launcher I'm using is the one that was packaged in the FSO install... don't know which one that specifically is.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Unfortunately, the installer is in currently in beta so there may still be bugs in it.  Having said that, I tried it and it seems to download the correct files for the 5.5g launcher, but since I'm running Linux I can't confirm that it runs successfully. Could you post a screenshot of the directory you installed Freespace2 and FS2 Open into?

Also, here's the current manual install guide for Windows. While it's more effort to follow, it should result in a working install. http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=78710.0
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Fusion

Attached is a screenshot of where it's located.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
That looks fine. So.  IIRC correctly the launcher needs to set some registry settings when it first runs.  Does your normal user have administrator privileges? If it doesn't, try running Launcher.exe once as administrator and see if that helps.
----
----

Offline Fusion

Did so. Still got the same error. Oddly enough FS2 will run... the original will. Not FSO or any of the addons.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This error seems to be related to Windows not being able to correctly resolve a dependency FSO uses. Please run this utility on the FSO executable.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
I'm having the same problem... I've attached the .dwi file. Dependency Walker only reported ieshims.dll as missing but copying it from "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer" didn't change anything.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Okay, that's me officially out of ideas then.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Fusion

Dwi file I have isn't wanting to work, but it said these files couldn't be found.

API-MS-WIN-APPMODEL-RUNTIME-L1-1-0.DLL
API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-ERROR-L1-1-0.DLL
API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-L1-1-0.DLL
API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-ROBUFFER-L1-1-0.DLL
API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-STRING-L1-1-0.DLL
API-MS-WIN-SHCORE-SCALING-L1-1-1.DLL
DCOMP.DLL
IESHIMS.DLL

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
I've solved the problem! The OpenAL32.dll appears to be 64bit for some weird reason...  :mad:

I've replaced it with a recent version and FS2 works flawlessly.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 06:31:27 pm by ngld »

Offline Fusion

So, erm... Where do I put those two downloads?

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
You only need to download the zip file. In the Win32 folder (inside the zip) you'll find a soft_oal.dll file. Replace your OpenAL32.dll with that file.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
And in case you're worried about any general windows system files, you can place the files in the OpenAL Soft package directly in your FreeSpace 2 directory and they'll take priority for FSO only so far as the rest of your system is concerned.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

same problem. The solution is not working  :doubt:

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
You probably should create a new thread for your problem instead of resurrecting a several years old one but you've already posted here so...
The error message in the first post indicates that you're either launching a 32bit version of FSO with a 64bit DLL mixed in or the other way round. We now need to figure out which DLL is causing problems.
Let's start with the questions... Which launcher are you using? Do you know which FSO exe is being started and did you at any point copy or replace any DLLs?

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
You probably should create a new thread for your problem instead of resurrecting a several years old one but you've already posted here so...
The error message in the first post indicates that you're either launching a 32bit version of FSO with a 64bit DLL mixed in or the other way round. We now need to figure out which DLL is causing problems.
Let's start with the questions... Which launcher are you using? Do you know which FSO exe is being started and did you at any point copy or replace any DLLs?

Knossos works for win 7, right?  Since it takes all the thinking out of installing FSO (which is a good, good, thing), that might be the obvious thing to try.

thanks for the hints. I will try that in the weekend  :yes:

now it is working  :yes:

And yes I changed the dll and played with the 32 and 64 version, nothing worked. I used the wxlauncher. But with knossos it is working now