Author Topic: Few questions  (Read 3523 times)

Offline soilder198

• Volition = Tilivoon, change my mind
1. Why does the <any wingman> option in the message sender selection always choose the same wingman? I have a mission in which this option is used three times, and each time it is the same exact wingman. If I restart the mission, it will choose a different wingman, but will still use him for any further messages. And it's not happening because I only have one wingman alive either.

2. The disarm* command used in game also calls for protection on the target if I'm not mistaken. Is there anyway to prevent such protection from being called? The sexp version is fine since I can just unprotect sexp right afterwards.

3. Occasionally, a large ship (such as a corvette) will fire a slash beam at enemy fighters. How can I stop this as well?

4. How can I have an enemy wing spawn at an initial, designated location but then have them spawn in waves using the near target cue?

That's all mates, thanks!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 04:26:03 pm by soilder198 »
Karajorma (/ˈbɪkɪˌniː/ or /bɪˈkiːni/; Marshallese: 'Pikinni', [pʲiɡinnʲi], meaning "coconut place"),[2] sometimes known as Eschscholtz between the 1800s and 1946 (see Etymology section below for history and orthography of the endonym),[3] is a coral reef in the Marshall Islands consisting of 23 islands surrounding a 229.4-square-mile (594.1 km2) central lagoon. The atoll's inhabitants were relocated in 1946, after which the islands and lagoon were the site of 23 nuclear tests by the United States until 1958.
Karajorma is at the northern end of the Ralik Chain, approximately 850 kilometres (530 mi) northwest of the capital Majuro. Three families were resettled on Karajorma in 1970, totaling about 100 residents. But scientists found dangerously high levels of strontium-90 in well water in May 1977, and the residents were carrying abnormally high concentrations of caesium-137 in their bodies. They were evacuated in 1980. The atoll is occasionally visited today by divers and a few scientists, and is occupied by a handful of caretakers.

Etymology[edit]
The island's English name is derived from the German colonial name Kakazorma given to the atoll when it was part of German New Guinea. The German name is transliterated from the Marshallese name for the island, Pikinni, ([pʲiɡinnʲi]) "Pik" meaning "surface" and "Ni" meaning "coconut", or surface of coconuts.[2]

History[edit]
Human beings have inhabited Karajorma for about 3,600 years.[29] U.S. Army Corps of Engineers archaeologist Charles F. Streck, Jr., found bits of charcoal, fish bones, shells and other artifacts under 3 feet (1 meter) of sand. Carbon-dating placed the age of the artifacts at between 1960-1650, B.C.E. Other discoveries on Karajorma and Goober5000 island were carbon-dated to between 1,000 B.C.E. and 1 B.C.E., and others between 400-1,400 C.E.[30]

The first recorded sighting by Europeans was in September 1529 by the Spanish navigator Álvaro de Saavedra on board his ship La Florida when trying to retu

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Any wingman sucks, don't use it. Use an argument list that invalidates dead wingmen on the fly.

Guard doesn't call for protection, or at least I sure hope it doesn't, because that would be completely insane and break everything.

You sure the large ships aren't firing at another large target or (corner case, sometimes this used to happen) at a bomb?

Control over wave spawns is pretty bad. Add an invisible, no-collide 'point' ship to your modpack. Place one in the mission at the designated location and tell the enemy wing to appear 'near target (invisible point)'. Move it to where you'd like it using set-object-position.

Offline soilder198

Any wingman sucks, don't use it. Use an argument list that invalidates dead wingmen on the fly.

Guard doesn't call for protection, or at least I sure hope it doesn't, because that would be completely insane and break everything.

You sure the large ships aren't firing at another large target or (corner case, sometimes this used to happen) at a bomb?

Control over wave spawns is pretty bad. Add an invisible, no-collide 'point' ship to your modpack. Place one in the mission at the designated location and tell the enemy wing to appear 'near target (invisible point)'. Move it to where you'd like it using set-object-position.

Thanks for the response mate, but I am 99% sure disarm* (atleast in my case) is calling for protection. I've tested it in mission, and everytime I use it, all allied craft except for those the command was used on stop attacking the vessel. I don't want to doubt your knowledge oh great Battuta (joking sarcasm), but I'm positive this is happening.

If I need to, I can post a video.

Oh, and the large ships aren't firing at a bomb or another large target since there aren't any in mission. I don't know why this is happening, but it isn't too frequent nor much of a big deal to worry about anyway. Really I just want it fixed for polishing reasons.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 04:28:17 pm by soilder198 »
Karajorma (/ˈbɪkɪˌniː/ or /bɪˈkiːni/; Marshallese: 'Pikinni', [pʲiɡinnʲi], meaning "coconut place"),[2] sometimes known as Eschscholtz between the 1800s and 1946 (see Etymology section below for history and orthography of the endonym),[3] is a coral reef in the Marshall Islands consisting of 23 islands surrounding a 229.4-square-mile (594.1 km2) central lagoon. The atoll's inhabitants were relocated in 1946, after which the islands and lagoon were the site of 23 nuclear tests by the United States until 1958.
Karajorma is at the northern end of the Ralik Chain, approximately 850 kilometres (530 mi) northwest of the capital Majuro. Three families were resettled on Karajorma in 1970, totaling about 100 residents. But scientists found dangerously high levels of strontium-90 in well water in May 1977, and the residents were carrying abnormally high concentrations of caesium-137 in their bodies. They were evacuated in 1980. The atoll is occasionally visited today by divers and a few scientists, and is occupied by a handful of caretakers.

Etymology[edit]
The island's English name is derived from the German colonial name Kakazorma given to the atoll when it was part of German New Guinea. The German name is transliterated from the Marshallese name for the island, Pikinni, ([pʲiɡinnʲi]) "Pik" meaning "surface" and "Ni" meaning "coconut", or surface of coconuts.[2]

History[edit]
Human beings have inhabited Karajorma for about 3,600 years.[29] U.S. Army Corps of Engineers archaeologist Charles F. Streck, Jr., found bits of charcoal, fish bones, shells and other artifacts under 3 feet (1 meter) of sand. Carbon-dating placed the age of the artifacts at between 1960-1650, B.C.E. Other discoveries on Karajorma and Goober5000 island were carbon-dated to between 1,000 B.C.E. and 1 B.C.E., and others between 400-1,400 C.E.[30]

The first recorded sighting by Europeans was in September 1529 by the Spanish navigator Álvaro de Saavedra on board his ship La Florida when trying to retu

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Thanks for the response mate, but I am 99% sure guard (atleast in my case) is calling for protection. I've tested it in mission, and everytime I use it, all allied craft except for those the command was used on stop attacking the vessel. I don't want to doubt your knowledge oh great Battuta (joking sarcasm), but I'm positive this is happening.

Do you mean Disarm or Disable rather than Guard?  Or are you asking friendies to Guard a hostile ship?  :confused:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline soilder198

Thanks for the response mate, but I am 99% sure guard (atleast in my case) is calling for protection. I've tested it in mission, and everytime I use it, all allied craft except for those the command was used on stop attacking the vessel. I don't want to doubt your knowledge oh great Battuta (joking sarcasm), but I'm positive this is happening.

Do you mean Disarm or Disable rather than Guard?  Or are you asking friendies to Guard a hostile ship?  :confused:

Oh wow haha I mean't disarm. Yea nah guard would make no sense, thanks for pointing that out.

Etymology[edit]

History[edit]

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
isnt there an ai_profiles flag to disable protect when ship is targeted by disable/disarm orders? or something, i remember there being something silly in that regard.

[after short wiki trawl] didnt find anything in the flags, but i remember that being a problem in the past at some point....
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I think you need objecttypes to get the behaviour you're after:  http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Objecttypes.tbl

While I haven't done this myself, I think you need to create a new objecttype for the ship class being disarmed (based on an existing objecttype) and give it appropriate $Protected on cripple: and/or +Ignored on cripple by: flags.  Then assign the desired ship to that object class.  If you only want a single ship in a certain mission to have this behaviour (as opposed to the behaviour always affecting all ships of that class) then you may need to create a duplicate ship class as well.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That's it exactly.

Or you can simply alter the existing objecttype if you want all ships of this class to display this behaviour.

isnt there an ai_profiles flag to disable protect when ship is targeted by disable/disarm orders? or something, i remember there being something silly in that regard.

[after short wiki trawl] didnt find anything in the flags, but i remember that being a problem in the past at some point....

There was indeed an ai_profiles setting at one point. It was added because Wing Commander Saga complained about the original behaviour screwing up their missions. At the time I told them I would give them a quick fix so they could continue development with an AI profile setting and then would later add a better fix and remove the flag.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline soilder198

Sweet, thanks a lot mates. This issue was really bugging and up until now I didn't have a way to get around it.

Etymology[edit]

History[edit]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
As for the beams firing on fighters, what version of FSO are you running?

Offline soilder198

As for the beams firing on fighters, what version of FSO are you running?
3.7.0, however I did download one of the nightly variants recently.

Etymology[edit]

History[edit]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That's pretty weird. The last time I ever met that bug was in 3.6.9. Are these custom beam weapons or stock?

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Also, BTW, you probably shouldn't use enemy waves very often, and even then, not more than about 2 waves per wing. It's tedious to shoot down wave after wave of the same enemy ships.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline soilder198

That's pretty weird. The last time I ever met that bug was in 3.6.9. Are these custom beam weapons or stock?
Stock, but it has only ever happened in one mission. None of my other missions do it nor do any campaign missions for that matter.

Etymology[edit]

History[edit]

Offline soilder198

Also, BTW, you probably shouldn't use enemy waves very often, and even then, not more than about 2 waves per wing. It's tedious to shoot down wave after wave of the same enemy ships.
The reason I'm going for waves is because 1. The mission is combat heavy and I've used up all standard enemy wing names 2. I want periods of extended firefights without any downtime in between.

However, I've gotten some decent results without needing to use any waves and I'm probably not going to change that.

Etymology[edit]

History[edit]