Author Topic: Newb question  (Read 3368 times)

I realize how dumb this sounds...but I can't figure out how to install any of the 3rd party modules for Diaspora.  Can someone point me in the right direction please?  Thank you!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It's pretty easy. In the case of single missions, simply stick them in Diaspora/Data/Missions.

If there is something other than a .fs2 or .fc2 file in the folder, I'd advise making a folder called 3rd Party Mods with a folder insider it called Data and installing to there instead of Diaspora/Data. Then create a text file inside the 3rd Party Mods folder with notepad called mod.ini and edit the text to this

Code: [Select]
[launcher]
infotext     = 3rd Party Missions for Diaspora;

Then you choose 3rd Party Mods from the Launcher as your active mod.

I think we'll have to include all this with the next Diaspora release. It's more complex than it needs to be for newbies.

Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Hey thank you very much for the response.  I will give that a try.

One more question...is there any way to make the nose of the Viper disappear and have a full screen view?

By the way your suggestion didn't work.  Evidently I don't have the file path right. 

Did you mean set up the folders like this:

Diaspora\3rd party mods\data

...and all the 3rd party goodies go in THIS data folder.
Then inside the 3rd party mods folder is the mod.ini file?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah. So the missions would be in Diaspora\3rd party mods\data\missions and the mod.ini would be in Diaspora\3rd party mods

If that doesn't work try it without spaces (I never use them but they are supposed to work if I remember correctly).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

So I'm trying all that and none of it is working. The only campaign available to play is Shattered Armistice. Do I need to start a new pilot to play a different campaign or what?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
You'll only see a new campaign if you have installed a .fc2 file.  If all the files installed are .fs2, then they're standalone missions and need to be played from Tech Data -> Mission Simulator -> Single Missions
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Ooooh, I was going about it wrong then :P

Edit: hmm, still not showing up (although I did manage to figure out how to replay mission 2 and wipe out all the heavy missile batteries in time; I'm getting better!)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:01:40 pm by SasoDuck »

For reference, I'm trying to install the "Patrick's Revenge" pack from this list

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Ah yes, that includes a .fc2 plus extra voice acting so it should be added as a mod.  I've done that and given it a quick test and it seems to work OK.  Try downloading this:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1ca8dthnjhhd9pd/PatricksRevenge.7z

Extract it into your Diaspora folder, then select "pr" / Patricks Revenge from the mod tab in the launcher.  Then in Diaspora, select the Patricks Revenge from "Campaigns".
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Cool, worked like a charm, although I'd like to figure out how to do them myself so I don't have to ask for every campaign I want to download. Is it basically the same thing for the others?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Pretty much, you just need to know what folders the files belong in.  Unfortunately I don't know of any good documentation for this, so I looked in the code (cfile.cpp) and in the Freespace2 retail VPs in this case.
----
----