Author Topic: Distress Beacon - Newbie here!  (Read 1653 times)

Distress Beacon - Newbie here!
Hello there! I'm in dire need of someone's help. I'll try to explain my problem as best as I can, but it will be complicated.
I've been following this guide: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=78710.0
I bought the GoG version and now I'm at Step 3) Getting the 3.7 final build.
Now how the hell do I install that? There's link which sends me to this thread where things are becoming confusing as nebula filled with shivan scouts: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=85435.0
So.. I am Windows 8. According to that thread, there are two things to download, right?
The first is  wxLauncher (because I have win8, and there are 4 more links, so I chose: wxlauncher-0.9.4.exe) and another is zips down there. There's a note that if I have no idea what an SSE is, which I haven't (even after reading wiki), just download the third one.
I did that and extracted all files from the zip to my Games/Freespace 2 folder, I downloaded the wxLauncher and put that there too.
And here's the problem.
The guide says:
"Step 5)
1.Open the launcher that you downloaded in step 3. (Do they mean the wxlauncher-0.9.4.exe? Because I'm afraid there's no other launcher there)
2.Click on the "Browse" button at the top of the launcher. (There's no button "Browse" at the top of the launcher. It looks like I'm installing patch I click next, next, then there's button "Browse" which asks me where I want to install. There are no builds and nothing like that)

Then the next step:
3. Select the build you want to use. This is the FSO game engine you downloaded in step 3.
Select the one whose file name does not have the word "DEBUG" in it, such as fs2_open_3_6_18.exe or fs2_open_3_6_18_SSE.exe or so on."

Since there are no such things, I am unable to continue.
What am I doing wrong?
You guys are my only hope, I'll be thankful for any help.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Distress Beacon - Newbie here!
Hi welcome to HLP!

To make things easier I'll just explain some of the stuff:

1st: You need a full FS2 installation ready in your HD, since you have installed GOG version that should do.
2nd: The launcher, the file you probably downloaded (this one) is an installer, so you should just run it and it will create an icon on your start menu just as with any other program.
3rd: Getting 3.7.0, you should probably download SSE2 standard if you are running new/mid-new hardware, those are just EXE's you need to place inside the freespace2 directory.

After getting all that stuff downloaded and placed, then run the wxlauncher from the start menu, and check all the tabs on the upper menu, particularly the one called Basic Settings, there you should choose the .EXE's you are using to run Freespace, this is where you browse and select the 3.7.0 exes you just downloaded.

The mods tab lets you choose between different downloaded mods, and the other two are pretty much self explanatory.
Just do those steps and check back here if you need advice on any other particular option of the launcher.

I'd advise to use the freespace open installer but it's still in beta and I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to use it as of yet, maybe someone else on the forums can confirm is it's safe to redirect you there.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 06:01:15 pm by Rodo »
el hombre vicio...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
SSE2 is just called 'standard' or just left unmarked. And yeah, the key step missing here is running the WXLauncher installer.

Thank you guys, it seems to be working somehow

I was able to install some of the simpler mods, but when I wanted to install some recommended campaigns, for example "Shrouding the light" or those FSports, one third of the url links in readmes and tutorials are broken, the other third are outdated and therefore every single campaign mod I tried to install popped up at least 1 error to me or didn't start at all.
It's either very noob-unfriendly, or I am incapable...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Try using fsoinstaller.com. Where are you getting your recommended campaigns?

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Some mods will throw errors at FS start because the errorchecking routines on FS exe's changed a while back (IIRC) and controls are somewhat more restrictant, in most of those cases mods that report an error can still be run without problems.

Activating a mod, selecting the campaign from the campaign room and starting the first mission is the only way to really know if it's gonna work (I'm sure there's a more sophisticated method, but for your convenience this is the best course of action IMO, also never fear! most of the mods will probably work alright even with errors detected at start up)

Be aware though, that mods that make use of fsport will require you to install it and probably fsport_mvps as well.

About dead links:
If you encounter problems with any of the campaigns, you can post on the threads where you found the dead links and someone will direct you to the appropriate missing files, or... you could try checking here: http://www.freespacemods.net/news.php
That site probably contains most if not all campaign files and FS related assets.
Also relevant: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Campaign_List
el hombre vicio...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You really shouldn't be playing mods with errors. It's not safe and it can create huge troubleshooting headaches on our end. There are loads and loads of great, bug-free campaigns.

This is part of why I suggest starting with Battuta's Guide to Finding Your First Campaign - most of the material on there is both technically safe and makes for a good gameplay experience.