Author Topic: FS2 Open and NVIDIA Shadowplay [Solved, sort of]  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Athos

FS2 Open and NVIDIA Shadowplay [Solved, sort of]
Okay, I searched for Shadowplay in the forums, and all it finds is references to a mission in the Derelict mod.  I'm guessing this question hasn't been asked yet.

I think I've answered it on my own, but I wanted to mention it in case anyone else ever wonders why Shadowplay won't start recording while playing FS2 Open, despite working in other games, including retail FS2 (which is why I thought posting this in the support forum was appropriate).

Shadowplay currently supports only DirectX, and not OpenGL.  So, if you run FS2 Open in OpenGL, you're out of luck as far as Shadowplay is concerned.  You'll need to record with something else that does support OpenGL.

That said, anyone have any recommendations for alternatives?  I tried Bandicam, since it also supports encoding video on the fly with the GPU, but the software limits your recording time and watermarks your recordings unless you pay.  No thanks.

Alternately, is there a way to get FS2 Open to run in DirectX?  I know OpenGL is superior, but it'd be nice for the sake of making a video, at least.  I'm using 3.7 Final and I don't even see an option to switch to DX, either in Launcher 5.5g or wxLauncher 0.9.4b.  Do I need to run a different FS2 Open version or launcher version?  (Or both?)

Thanks in advance!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: FS2 Open and NVIDIA Shadowplay [Solved, sort of]
Fraps is an eternal favourite (although it too requires a license to do more than basic stuff).

As for switching to DirectX, you can't. We removed the DX renderer several years ago, since noone was around to maintain it properly. The last version to support it was 3.6.9, I think, and you really really should not use that.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
That said, anyone have any recommendations for alternatives?
Google found two aside of what were already mentioned.
http://exkode.com/dxtory-features-en.html
http://www.d3dgear.com/ (shareware)

I would also recommend FRAPS, although it costs a little money. It's simple and it works  :yes:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The XFire client at least used to support game recording as well, though I haven't used it in a long time myself, so I don't know what its status is.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
MSI Afterburner can record, but it never produced anything not bugged in some way for me. I'm fine with Open Broadcasting Software which streams as well as records. Works.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/